Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Problem after Lowering !

3K views 46 replies 12 participants last post by  Jb_xB 
#1 ·
I just installed the hotchkis Springs on my 06.5 xB. Everything went together fine on the pass. side then when i got to the driver side, the strut was very difficult to re install. the top was in, but getting the 2 19mm bolts in the spindle, i had to fight it all the way. now i am getting a clunking out of the Drivers side front every time i hit a little bump at slow speeds. I popped the hood, to find the the strut is cockeyed in there, and is sitting uneven. I pulled the strut out and checked the top mounting bolt and its in there tight, re installed it, and strut is still sitting un even. Help, this is bugging me. Might be A n00b mistake...

#2 ·
how did you go about doing the install? Did you remove the whole strut or did you leave the top plate on the car?

#4 ·
Can you get all three nuts on the top? Is the coil in the alignment groove, maybe it slipped out before it was tightened.

#5 ·
Yep, I have all 3 bolts in it. I will pull it back apart tonight and check out to make sure that the spring is sitting in the rubber perfectly. Why was the Drivers side such a battle, as apposed to the pass side?

#6 ·
I think that the top of the spring came unseated lengthening the strut assembly making it tougher to get back into the alignment.

#8 ·
Loosen just the center main bolt up top under the plastic cover, with pressure of the jack under the control arm. Try twisting the spring and it might pop back in place without removing everything again.

#12 ·
I'm not sure what it can be if the spring is seated right and it's still crooked.

I've installed xB springs 4 times without any problems.

#16 ·
I've had to step on the brake assembly to get the top of the spindle underneath the strut.

#19 ·
I'm out of answers.

#22 · (Edited)
when you re-assembled the strut w/new spring did you align the key way so it sits properly on the end of the shaft it is shaped to fit kinda squared off circle it must go on the strut end correctly or the plate will not go down all the way when you tighten the center nut making the strut assy taller and potentially ruining the plate. this would be my guess that clunking over bumps has happened on here before and that was the prob. maybe one side aligned right by luck and the other is off. GL let us know

#23 ·
No, that wasnt it, I made sure that the Key way type thing was aligned in the strut shaft and the upper plate... Something is wrong here and its buggin me!! Its drivable, but Just not perfect. Im thinkin about investing in some new stuff... like different springs and struts alltogether.

#24 ·
What brand springs did you install?

#26 ·
Did you stand them side by side before you installed them? It's always a good idea to size everything up before you tear everything apart.

#28 ·
Well I hate to hear bad things pop up, I hope you get this taken care of and let us know exactly what the problem was when you figure it out.

#29 ·
If it comes down to it, you can always get some coilovers. There's a GB in the classifieds for Tein Basics.

#34 ·
I don't know what to tell you that I haven't already. Did the strut look ok when you took it all back apart? No stripped threads, etc?

IF somehow you damaged the strut, go with the Echo struts for replacement. 1/2" more drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.