Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this thread is posted in the wrong section or if I am
violating anything in the tos with this post I am new here.

I have read a few things on here via search, but I wasn't quite able to find
something that addresses my question enough.

First off I will introduce myself as I am a new member to this forum
and I plan on frequently visiting here.

My introduction: Hi, my name is Keith.
About 6 months ago I bought my Scion xB 04 Burgundy 125k. It was from a
used lot and I had searched around for a xB online for a while and this one
was the best I could find at that time, and I love it every bit. I always loved
the Square look of it, and I needed a starter car since I'm 20 and this is my
first car.

My Problem: Clutch Dying.

My Desire: Replace it without paying for labor of a professional.

Would someone here be able to kindly tell me a list of tools necessary to
replace the clutch as well as either videos or a pic based tutorials that would
assist me in actually doing it. Also can I have a link to a site which I would be
able to order the part from.

I was really hoping to make my xb race-able so I want a good clutch for both
race and casual driving. After looking at a bit of clutches I'm not certain, but
it seems stage 3 is exactly what I want, but being uneducated in the subject
maybe someone could tell me otherwise.

The Site I was previously using to find and browse clutches is here:
http://www.andysautosport.com/scion/2004_2007_xb/drivetrain/clutch_kits/clutch_masters/
I was thinking of getting the stage 3 kit on this page.

·
NorCal - East Bay Area
1,454 Posts
From reading your introduction, I'd assume that you don't have a lot of car mechanical knowledge. Understand that the clutch replacement is listed as an 8 hour job for a trained Toyota tech. You have to drop the motor and tranny to change the clutch, not a job for a novice. Your best bet is to shop around your area to see who will give you the best price.

Now to your second question, what clutch? Well, stage 3 is going to kill you if you do any lengthy daily driving. It's also over kill unless you are turbo-ed or have a super charger. Honestly, our cars aren't meant to be raced. Race cars constantly break and components need to be replaced. Do you have sponsors that will cover these costs? No, then don't race. You can make your care measurably more fun to drive by adding an upgraded intake, exhaust and header; it's what I did. Personally wouldn't go more than stage 1. A good OEM replacement will feel marginally stiffer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you awinter for your suggestions that's pretty much what I was thinking was going to happen. With clutches are they universal for all cars? or do i need a specific type of clutch ?I am not really sure what I should be looking at online so I am unsure of which one I need to buy.

·
Doc
1,529 Posts
Yes clutches are vehicle specific, if you want OEM/OEM quality go to any parts store and just ask them to search a clutch for your year, make and model. Or just call and ask any Scion dealership.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts