Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I need a little input on this purchase I’m trying to do, any info would be greatly appreciated. I know it’s lots a miles, but I would like to know your input as I want to daily this car everyday to work for 40 miles a day. Please let me know what you think as I was going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully join this forum for good! It has 200k miles on it but heard they go to 300-400k https://offerup.co/P0xfCYa0cZ

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Make sure it drives fine and no leaks or noises under the hood

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
With proper service these little cars can go 500k+. Just remember that it's not a race car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just bought a different 2005 XB
it has 136k miles on it,
But has engine light code p0441 p0442 and p0446
I believe I need to switch the gas cap to see if that's the issue first
is our part number for the poem cap
77300-06040
Also anyone have recommendation to buy it from? I was looking at amazon but I don't know if they are OEM or Not?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys I also got a squeaking noise from the engine is that mean it needs new belts or a new water pump as well? It has 136k miles on it

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hey guys I also got a squeaking noise from the engine is that mean it needs new belts or a new water pump as well? It has 136k miles on it
Could be belts, waterpump, or alternator. When I changed all three at one time a lot of the noises went away. Both Alternator and waterpump were definitely making noise. When I took them off both bearings were making noises. I would do all three at the same time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be belts, waterpump, or alternator. When I changed all three at one time a lot of the noises went away. Both Alternator and waterpump were definitely making noise. When I took them off both bearings were making noises. I would do all three at the same time.

You think that’s why I have the code p0441 p0442 and p0446?
Also when I’m at idle
The rpm goes up just a tad on its own like from 0-500 rpm ish nothing major. The car runs like a champ and it has 136k miles, maybe it is time to replace all three?

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
Hard to say but I would get another opinion on this !!! You can always go to a Toyota dealer to see what they say as I know mine will not charge you for an honest review!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Do you think I should replace the alternator and water pump at the same time as the belts your saying?
If you can swing the funds then do the belt, alternator, and waterpump. All of them will be failing in the near future.

·
Registered
761 Posts
it has 136k miles on it,
77300-06040
Also anyone have recommendation to buy it from? I was looking at amazon but I don't know if they are OEM or Not?
I also want to shed some light on p0441 p0442 and p0446 codes. I just got this last week and solved it from a vacuum tube that came off. It is very common with xBs. I attached a photo for reference with a yellow arrow pointing to where my vac tub came off.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it has 136k miles on it,
77300-06040
I also want to shed some light on p0441 p0442 and p0446 codes. I just got this last week and solved it from a vacuum tube that came off. It is very common with xBs. I attached a photo for reference with a yellow arrow pointing to where my vac tub came off.
Hey thank you, I just checked and the hoses are tight, but it looks like where the connection goes the lines were frayed and it seemed like it snapped off, would anyone know what that piece of the connection be? The hoses are tight, but the yellow square you have on the image the connections are frayed I would have the either sodder it or buy a new connection?
Thanks for all the input guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fought my squeaking belts for a while. I ended up replacing the alternator. Well, I took it in and had it rebuilt at a place and they upgraded to get it some more amperage due to my sound system. Squeaks went away at that point. (I had replaced the belts when I got it.) The only issue I had was with the nut on the alternator that the long bolt screws into. It was not set perfectly into the cutout for it, so even if I tightened it, it would work itself loose and start squeaking again. Put a wrench on the nut to align it, then tightened it down until it sunk into place, and haven't had a problem with it since! Plenty of power for the two amps I run too!
As was previously mentioned, check the junkyards and see if a new one is available that you can crimp or solder in.
Good score on the 136K mile xB! Mine had 134K, but that was 3 years ago. Got quite a bit more on it now! :)
Best of luck!
C

1 - 20 of 26 Posts