Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I put in my Perrin lightweight pulley last weekend with no problems....or so I thought. I went to check the oil yesterday at a fill-up and to my suprise, there is oil splattered on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It's not a lot of oil and it looked weird like I ran over a can of oil or hit a can of oil. I was going to just clean it off with some soapy water and pressure this weekend, but last night I looked again and it is worse, you can tell it is coming from behind the pulley area.

So here's my thought....put the stocker back on and hope for the best with a service call at Toyota or leave it on for a service call with Toyota?? I'm thinking the only logical explanation is the the main seal has developed some kind of warp or cut?

Anybody else run into this??

Thanks for any help!

Ty

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Mine hasn't had any problems, been on since January. Keep us informed though.

Like you said, just reinstall the stock one and take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
just a thought.....

on the pulley bolts, take extra care not to scar them up, or the mechanic may notice that it has already been removed, then the warranty may be void.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I was going to say throw some dirt on it, it will hide the cleanliness of fresh work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,put the stocker back on and from what I have seen while doing that was that the seal around the crankshaft looks to be weeping. I took it to the dealer and after having it all day they said they could not find it. They did say that there IS a leak. So,they put in some red dye and told me to bring it back on Monday morning.

I'm wondering if the Perrin was light enough to let the crank develop some type of vibration/walk that screwed up the seal?? I never felt anything weird after the install.

Anyhow,the saga continues......

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
So many have put on the perrin pully without a problem. Unless you have a burr or something on the Perrin, you probably just hade a bad crank seal.

Its good you put it back to stock before the dealer saw it or for sure they would have blamed you just so they can get high labor rate profits instead of eating the warranty work.

·
Registered
368 Posts
you prbably just dinged the seal, have heard about a few spouting leaks after the change.

Now as to putting the stock pulley back on and taking it to the dealer for " warrenty" work, what it is is FRAUD, and I thought that clubxb had honest people. Guess you can hope that they don't catch it later.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Frogbox said:
you prbably just dinged the seal, have heard about a few spouting leaks after the change.

Now as to putting the stock pulley back on and taking it to the dealer for " warrenty" work, what it is is FRAUD, and I thought that clubxb had honest people. Guess you can hope that they don't catch it later.
Yes perhaps its a fraud to put it back to stock before the dealer sees it. But I would consider it fraud too if a dealer blames an entire burned out XB wiring harness on aftermarket headlight bulbs on a week old car. Then tries to get the customer to foot the bill for repairs.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, maybe the dealer gets tired of people doing this, making fraudulent claims for warrenty work, that they make it really hard on those that have real claims.
One of my many "jobs" have me investigate some of these.Guess people should learn to suck it up when they mess something up with putting on mods
and it would make it easier on those that have real problems, not those that are consumer made, Right?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frogbox said:
Well, maybe the dealer gets tired of people doing this, making fraudulent claims for warrenty work, that they make it really hard on those that have real claims.
One of my many "jobs" have me investigate some of these.Guess people should learn to suck it up when they mess something up with putting on mods
and it would make it easier on those that have real problems, not those that are consumer made, Right?
Umm,how does it make anything "harder" for other warranty claims at the dealer, if I put the stock pulley back on?? Does it make it "harder" to get an appointment? Am I taking up your personal technicians time? I did not use any of my free oil changes that were given to me by Scion, so would it be wrong for me to ask the dealer to give me the $50 bucks or so for each one I didn't use? It would only be right that the dealer "suck it up" and give me my due!

Gosh,sorry I don't meet your expectations on honesty....I'm going to have to learn how to "suck it up" I guess....

·
Registered
368 Posts
How does it make it harder for warranty work ?
By making the dealers suspicious of all warranty work.
Does it make it harder to get an appointment? Yep, it takes up the time a technician fixing stuff that the owner broke and doesn't want to be responsible for.
Didn't use your free oil changes? Your fault, you chose not to use them.
Should you be again paid for a choice you made? Nope

Your a Firefighter right? How do you like people ( arsonists) setting fires to collect insurance money?

If more people would "suck it up" and admit fault the world would be a better place for us all.

Remember; What goes around, comes around
Karma sucks

You know, someday someone will hit your car or do damage to your property and just walk away going " hey it's your problem not mine"

Not picking on just you, but all the people that do harm and don't admit they did something wrong.

This place is getting as bad as SL

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
you live in a utopian mindset frogbox.

yes it could technically be fraud , but say it was leaking because of something other than his (installer's) fault? will anyone other than the owner/installer ever really know? no.... but would a dealer after seeing the aftermarket pulley on automatically say it's the owners fault ? yes. whether or not it is or not they won't care. it'd be enough for them to not take the blame.

i know that I don't know if he fudged it or not , but then again neither do you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Your comparing me putting my vehicle back to stock and having the dealer spend an hour or two looking for a oil leak, that I may or may not have caused, to a f*@king arsonist?? You need to step back and take a long look at your logic making capabilities, because that makes no sense at all! Maybe they should warm up the electric chair for me...:eek:

What if I did use my oil changes? Would that not take your personal technician away from work that he could be doing on your car? Would that not take an appointment away from you? Not a bit of difference.

I don't feel I've commited any type of fraud at all! Maybe bent the rules a bit, but hardly fraud.

Edit: Posts that throw blame and fault at someone is what made SL such a crappy place to visit....speaking of Karma,re-read this thread and tell me who that person is....oohh,getting a little close to home now, eh?

·
Registered
368 Posts
1) by using your "free" oil changes you wouldn't be taking my "personal technician" away from me, I don't have a "personal technician"

2) bending the rules, in this case, is fraud ( I hate to say it but hotbox 5 said it was, amybe hope for him yet:rolleyes: )

3) I didn't throw blame, you confessed to a crime, I stated an opinion (everyone is entitled to one , even if it stinks)

4)wrong is wrong, just because everyone else does it doesn't make it right
( young immature children use this excuse to clear themselves of wrong doing) If it is moraly or ethically wrong, it is wrong, period.

5) as to living in a eutopia world, it would be nice, it has to start somewhere
why not with my friends and family?

Thrice daily ask your self : Have I been unfaithful in dealing with others?
Have I been untrue to friends?
Do I practice what I preach?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I didn't read to see if this was posted yet, but if that seal didn't leak before you put the pulley in and it leaks after you installed the pulley it is a grand case if installer error.

The pulley has no effect on the seal unless it doesn't use a harmonic balancer. But if you lose the harmonic balancer it would still take a while to have an effect on that seal.

My guess is you had to crank on that nut on the end of the crankshaft to get the pulley off. Durring this process you might have had to hit that wrench with a hammer or add a pipe for leverage. Well that right there is going to move the end of the crank around ever so slightly and possibly dammage the pulley.

The best way to install these pullies is an impact gun because it only applies rotational force, you aren't pushing on a lever to loosen that nut.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Vindicated!

Well,dealer called me and said that the oil sending solenoid crapped out an O ring and that is where the leak is coming from. Part will be in tomorrow morning.

The install of the pulley is just to easy to mess up in my oppinion. The hardest thing is getting to the lower alternator bolt!

So,nothing I did was the cause of the oil leak....just bad timing I guess. I'm going to drive it a while though before putting the pulley back on, just to make sure the leak is fixed right.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well, good to hear it wasn't you.

As for the moral dilemma, I feel that in situations like this, it may be a little bit wrong to do it, but at the same time, it's not what you rip off, it's who. Do you think Toyota would cut a break to you on anything at all? Never. Auto companies are out to get all of us. At one time or another we have all been ripped off by a dealer or even the company itself, but that is to be expected. Corporation's sole existance is to rip people off. So if you get them for a simple fix, so what? They will write it off. Sure they charge $45 to $60 an hour for repairs, as well as $10+ for a seal, but you can rest assured they only pay that mechanic about $12 an hour and that seal only cost them $3. Long story short, I wouldnt do that to a small shop or an individual, but a large corporation? Hell yeah. Get it back where we can.

·
Registered
974 Posts
xjeepguy said:
Well, good to hear it wasn't you.

As for the moral dilemma, I feel that in situations like this, it may be a little bit wrong to do it, but at the same time, it's not what you rip off, it's who. Do you think Toyota would cut a break to you on anything at all? Never. Auto companies are out to get all of us. At one time or another we have all been ripped off by a dealer or even the company itself, but that is to be expected. Corporation's sole existance is to rip people off. So if you get them for a simple fix, so what? They will write it off. Sure they charge $45 to $60 an hour for repairs, as well as $10+ for a seal, but you can rest assured they only pay that mechanic about $12 an hour and that seal only cost them $3. Long story short, I wouldnt do that to a small shop or an individual, but a large corporation? Hell yeah. Get it back where we can.

Boo frickety hoo!

Auto manufacturers and dealers are not out to screw us when it comes to warranty work and repairs. It is the dealers job to do as little warranty work as possible because they shell out for parts and labor and the manufacturer (Toyota) only pays back the dealership pennies on the dollar compaired to what they shelled out to fix your car.

Bottom line, warranty work costs the dealership money so they do their best not to do it. They are not trying to screw us, they are simply trying to stay in the green.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry for the long post, but heres my story about warranty work!

Dealers are only out to make the biggest profit off what they can. And warranty work is not one of them. Thats why they put so many stipulations on any modding. I personally think its a joke about some of the things they do. I was asking my salesman about several things I wanted to do and he was like have us do it, use only TRD, or only Scion components. What makes their equipment any better than anyone elses. I know there are other companies that put way more time in R&D than TRD, for some of the after market components. Is it wrong to swith back? Don't care! Trust me they don't! My wife has a Dodge Neon, took it to the dealer for everything, oil changes, all services when they were due, everything. And you know the checklist they use for what was ok and what needed working on, everything checked out fine, everytime. She went in with 36048 miles (thats 48 miles out of warranty for the investigator on here) they did the trans fluid, air filter, oil change, and told her her tires needed replaced (which we knew), needed aligned (thats fine too), and need the rotors surfaced and pads replaced. My cousin works for firestone, so I bought some tires and took them to him to mount, balance, do the alignment, and brakes. He calls me and says hey did they say anything about the struts leaking? I told him no. He said they are both leaking, and that the right one was leaking bad! We called the dealer and they said we checked that, my wife said she was bringing it back to check again. They did and said "it is leaking", well NO S#*T, thats what we said. Now remember they showed on the last inspection that everything was fine. They told my wife they wouldn't cover it under warranty, because she was now at 36326, and that they didn't know if the dealer would cover it. Can you believe that? Suppose to have been fine for the last 36048 miles, because they inspected it. Sounds to me like they could care less!!!!!! My wife ended up calling Dodge Corp. and they reviewed it, now the Dodge dealer is going to replace it, but I have to take care of the labor. And they are only going to do the right one!! So all I have to say to you and your fraud claims is OH Freaking WELL!!! I'm gonna do whatever I have to to get my vehicles taken care of, even if I have to put stock parts back on to do it!

·
Registered
827 Posts
ctruss said:
Auto manufacturers and dealers are not out to screw us when it comes to warranty work and repairs. It is the dealers job to do as little warranty work as possible because they shell out for parts and labor and the manufacturer (Toyota) only pays back the dealership pennies on the dollar compaired to what they shelled out to fix your car.

Bottom line, warranty work costs the dealership money so they do their best not to do it. They are not trying to screw us, they are simply trying to stay in the green.

Either or, if it's my pocket or theirs, I'm picking theirs. My dealer has no problem staying in the green, trust me. My buddy took his tc there because the clutch was slipping. They pulled it apart, checked the clutch, re-assembled it, then called him. Then they were going to charge him for pulling the clutch twice, even though if they had called him while they had it apart, he would have told them to fix it, and the engine would have only been out of the car once.

Boo frickety hoo!
Hang out on SL much? LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.