Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up my xB last week and want to make it into the best handling xB I can and still daily driveable. Since I know the car is slow, I want it to corner like crazy!

I just found a lead on some ultra light 15" wheels in 15" x 7" with a 35mm offset. What is the widest tire anyone on the forums was able to squeeze on the xB? and the offest they are running? I could care less about whether or not the tire fits squarely on the wheel. I currently have 17"s and a 205 tire. it looks like I can get a 245 in there with the right offset. Plus, I have a fender roller to get more clearance.

I plan on running eibachs or tein S-techs with a whiteline sway bar.

any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The thing you should look into when buying light wheels is how they'll hold up with time! Take the Konig Helium's, a very light wheel but hear lots of bad things about them cracking. I recently bought a set of Sportmax 501's in a 15x8 and a 15 ofset. The weight on this wheel is about 14 pounds and you can get a set delivered to you for $399 from Next Level Motoring. Trust me I drive my Xb pretty rough and they are holding up well! I hope other owners of the Sportmax 002's and 501's chime in and share there experiences with there wheels...

Laz

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your cornering is going to be worse if you put anything wider than 205 on those skinny 15x7s. It'll be sloppy and you'll get a lot of roll. It's even arguable that a slightly narrower tire may actually increase cornering performance. (I'll leave that argument to the more experienced drivers.)

If you really want wider tires, you'll need wider wheels. You might even want to look into an anti-sway bar first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome XTNSIV. Which 15x7 wheels were you looking at? And how much do they weigh? 205s should definitely fit. I think 225s should fit fine too. Not sure about 245s though at that point it would really depend on the tire too. Some brands will fit fine and others not. Remember 245 is the section width not the tread width. Falken tires often have a wide tread with similar to the section width so a 205 Falken tire has a similar tread width as some other brands 225 tires.

Watch out for going too wide especially on the front wheels. The xB tracks grooves pretty bad as it is and going wider will make it worse.

Don't forget to change out the horrible stock shocks My Koni Yellows (rears) should be coming in a few days and I can better identify handling weaknesses with them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome XTNSIV. Which 15x7 wheels were you looking at? And how much do they weigh? 205s should definitely fit. I think 225s should fit fine too. Not sure about 245s though at that point it would really depend on the tire too. Some brands will fit fine and others not. Remember 245 is the section width not the tread width. Falken tires often have a wide tread with similar to the section width so a 205 Falken tire has a similar tread width as some other brands 225 tires.

Watch out for going too wide especially on the front wheels. The xB tracks grooves pretty bad as it is and going wider will make it worse.

Don't forget to change out the horrible stock shocks My Koni Yellows (rears) should be coming in a few days and I can better identify handling weaknesses with them.

Thanks for your input...

I plan on being one of the only people to be running Genuine panasport wheels on the car.

after searching tirerack, I think the biggest tire out would be a 225/50/15. nothing in the 235 or 245's could be found in a street compound. Unless someone knows of a tire that I missed...(please chime in if you do!) looks like I will just have to roll the fenders and run spacers to max out the wheel base.

Out of the 40+ cars I've owned (plenty of them being high hp cars), I clearly know that the box will never be a speed demon. However, with good carry through speed...any car is hard to catch out of the corner. So my # 1 objective is to make the car handle. and yes, sway bars and lower center of gravity are a huge help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh and one more thing, can anyone running 225's on any size wheels tell me what the lowest offset you can run without rubbing or excessive camber?

I will need to play with offsets to get the widest track on the box, especially if I'm limited to 225's :(

·
Registered
974 Posts
If you run 225/50/15's on your xB you won't have much room to lower it. Those tires will have a larger overall diameter than your stock tires.

If you want to corner well get your hands on some 205/50's You will maintain your overall diameter, you won't throw off your speedo, and your car will handle better. You will wobble around on 225's like sloppy joe's.

Once you get the 205's and light wheels look into sway bars.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
oh and one more thing, can anyone running 225's on any size wheels tell me what the lowest offset you can run without rubbing or excessive camber?

I will need to play with offsets to get the widest track on the box, especially if I'm limited to 225's :(
i'm running 225/40's on my 16x9 with a 15 offset. fenders will need to be rolled it you want to lower though. i'm also on tanabe df210's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you run 225/50/15's on your xB you won't have much room to lower it. Those tires will have a larger overall diameter than your stock tires.

If you want to corner well get your hands on some 205/50's You will maintain your overall diameter, you won't throw off your speedo, and your car will handle better. You will wobble around on 225's like sloppy joe's.

Once you get the 205's and light wheels look into sway bars.
Hello ctruss, I respect your input, however you are incorrect on information regarding tire sizing and lowering the car on 225's.

yes, the 225/50/15's are larger than stock, however only by 0.5% vs your recommended tire size of 205/50/15 with a deviation of 2.8% smaller than stock. Therefor the speedometer would be more accurate running 225's rather than the 205's.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revolutions Speedometer Odometer Difference
185/60-15 4.4" 11.9" 23.7" 74.6" 850/mi 60MPH 10000mi N/A
205/50-15 4.0" 11.5" 23.1" 72.5" 874/mi 62MPH 10290mi -2.8%
225/50-15 4.4" 11.9" 23.9" 75.0" 845/mi 60MPH 9950mi 0.5%

regarding lowering the car, since the diameter is relatively close to stock with the exception of width, I don't see why I would not have room to lower the car. All lowering springs factor in the stock rolling diameter of tires and with a 0.1" larger radius, I highly doubt there will be an issue with lowering. and yes, I do already have plans to install the whiteline sway bar as soon as I can get my hands on one.

best regards,
Allen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts