Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm totally new to all of this so bear with me. I seriously need help because I am totally confused. I bought an xb from an individual and the only thing I didn't look at beforehand was the carfax. It looked good, drove perfect. The guy was upfront with me about the title being rebuilt, but it seemed like a sweet deal anyway so I bought it. He had pictures of the damage, pictures of it being fixed ( it took a direct hit to the back bumper ). To look at it nothing is wrong and to drive nothing is wrong as far as i know besides a faulty 02 sensor. The check engine light, vsc? light is on, and trac off. Those aren't my main issues at the moment. Take in mind this xb is painted the blue onyx. Well, I got home with it and pulled a carfax and it turns out the guy was honest about every single thing that he told me except one thing. Carfax verifies everything on this xb top to bottom, but the thing that has me puzzled is - it says it's a Release Series 2.0. Now I checked each and every vin number on this xb and matched the ones on the box with the one on the title, and as I said everything on the Carfax checks out about the xb. What has me confused is why does carfax say it's a RS 2.0 when it is not yellow, has no yellow accented seats, nor a badge on the dash? I'm not sure what else to look for but so far I know that is the most distinctive things that make them stand out visually. Is there anything at all I can do to find out? Anywhere I can look on this box for any clues? My stepdad is a mechanic so I can get him to jack it up if i need to look under it somewhere. I'm wondering if maybe when the box was restored they painted it different and took the RS stuff out and replaced it with stock? That is the only explanation I can think of and I can't for the life of me understand why they would do that because being a RS and keeping the integrity of it still makes the value better than that of a regular xb even with a rebuilt title. I would appreciate any and all help whatsoever. I am a 24 year old female who does not know very much at all about cars and I fell in love with the box when I saw it but I'm really wondering what's going on. Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
im new to this site and just got my 05 xb just recently. the only two things i can think of is that carfax made a mistake, or it is an rs and got into a major wreck and unable to get rs parts. how about contacting scion/toyota directly for verification? or check with the seller?

also, in general carfax/autocheck first though never a full guarantee, and salvage/rebuilt only for buyers familiar with them.

you said it drives well, so hopefully nothing major. get it fully checked and enjoy :).

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
Carfax likely made a mistake. Several of the big auto industry companies don't seem to understand the Release Series, and treat every 2005 as a RS2.0, every 2006 as an RS3.0, etc. I've seen it at Edmunds or KBB, and at a couple of auto parts websites too.

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
The TRC/VSC/CEL triumvirate come on for any trouble code. Many auto parts places will read the trouble codes for you, or you can buy a scan tool. I use a $60 Ultra-gauge for my hypermiling, and it reads/clears trouble codes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW! Thanks everyone for such quick replies! - And for making me feel so welcome so quickly. Ya'll are awesome. I've started working third shift and sleep mostly during the day but I will check on that verification, I agree it's probably a Carfax goof or the fact that Carfax doesn't distinguish between them. I poked around on Ebay and noticed that the Carfax reports on there have all of them listed as " xb base/release series 2.0 " whether it's actually a real reslease series or not. I will also tighten the gas cap and see if that corrects the issue, I actually have not even had to put gas in it yet because it had gas in it when i bought it lol... if that doesn't do the truck I'll go pay autozone, advanced, and Oreilly a visit to get them to pull the codes for it. The guy I bought it from told me it was a bad o2 sensor I can't remember if he said the one before or after the cat, but when they pull codes they should be able to tell me i assume? Thanks again for everyone's help and advice I really appreciate it. I will keep ya'll updated as I figure this out. I'm so glad to be a part of a community that actually has people that help, YAY! :D

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Welcome. I doubt the RS 2.0 was rebuilt to look like a non RS model. The RS 2.0 had a mesh top grill, had turn signals in the mirrors, and a DC Sports exhaust. Those are a few things to look for. All the door jambs, under hood, hatch show the BOP?

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
Yes. Check the paint code on the driver's door jamb. Solar Yellow is code 576. Blue Onyx Pearl is 8P8.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys. Ok so i checked out my lil toaster and she is in fact a base not a RS. Guess its just carfax being retarded. Also i tightened gas cap and all the lights went off for now so yay! Thanks for all the input everyone :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
YAAAAYYYY for another female driver!! Welcome welcome welcome! (think Woody's Howdy Howdy Howdy. lol)

I have to say the knowledge base on this forum is AWESOME. Come here anytime you have a question and the collective will help. lol I would agree with everyone about carfax having made a booboo, and it sounds like you just got that confirmed. Congrats on being a new to you Scion owner! <3 <3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Harley! I'm really excited about this, everyone has been so friendly so fast. I'm still loving my little box. All of my lights came back on :/ so I'm off before lunch today to have her checked out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
cool.... I have an '05 as well, and never looked into the whole RS thing. Mine's gotta be a base, as I don't have the DC exhaust or turn signals in the mirrors.

OP (angelx) , where ya from? I noticed the"yall" in one of your posts. I'm from good ol' NC and I'll just say it's a well-used word in my vocabulary too :)

---------- Post added 12-13-2011 at 06:02 PM ----------

OH, also a bad 02 sensor will throw those lights like the previous owner said. I got code p0420, which was either a bad catalytic convertor or a bad post-cat o2 sensor.

I replaced the o2 sensor with a Denso from partsgeek and the lights haven't come back on since. (while I was waiting for it to arrive, I used an OBD scanner to pull the codes, and just kept clearing them. It would go a day or 2 and throw codes again. o2 sensor fixed that, but my next step was replacing the cat)

You got lucky that yours was only the gas cap being loose!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: All of my lights came back on. Randomy i'll crank it up and it stalls immediately, like 1-2 second if that. And a time or two wouldn't crank. Everything turns over fine, an i don't get it. I had the codes run. P0420 again. That is the only code. Got a printout and through process of elimination i know it isn't the cat, i had it tested. Apparently it could be an af sensor, or fuel line issue. Will update as soon as i know. Lights randomly go off and come back on.

By the way, i'm from North GA naga :)

·
Old School xB Builder
1,599 Posts
Welcome aboard. Actually I have a rs 2.0 all were solar yellow in color. It is not a release series 2.0. It is a regular xb. On the dash above the glove box you will have a release series badge that tells you what number in the release yours was. Example: 200 of 2500. There have been alot of dealerships that were unsure of what they were selling on the used car lot.

Alot of the dealerships are retards. I have seen a mooneyes edition xb, a galifornia gold edition, etc. They slap a bunch of aftetmarket crap on it and call it something different to make it seem special. Sorry you got mis info.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
Welcome to the club !! Looks like your getting lots of help with your new box to you taht when fixed you will love her like we all do !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts