Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime i get to about 3000 rpm (its a standard) it starts shaking really bad. The VSC TRAC OFF and Check Engine light are all on... the trac light stays on no matter what. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeppers, get it to the dealer.
Sounds like it went into limp mode.
You do any work on it?
Like an intake? That's what mine did when the MAF sensor went.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The dreaded MAF. Was it re-oiled that got it, or water?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its got one on it and it was loose so i tightened it. But i just bought it on sat... =-( (the box that is) it came with the cold air attached to it. I thought it was prob. a MAF b/c my neon did thtat to me at one point and thats what it was. What does this cost to replace or should it be under warranty or what?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sometimes, and just sometimes, you can clean the MAF with tuner cleaner.
But be very gentile with it,just spray it from a little distance, don't touch it with anything.
Then remove the fuse, you already disconnected the negative battery cable, removing the EFI fuse is just in case, and wait a few seconds.

Sometimes this helps, sometimes not. With a CAI installed aftermarket the dealer may give you a ration of it and not cover it under warrantee .:(

But the only option if this doesn't work is to buy the little bugger, install it and make sure the filter is not over oiled.

Good Luck.:D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yup, sounds like you entered 'Limp Home' (or 'Fail Safe') mode. If you have easy access to an OBDII scanner you can verify which code was thrown to narrow down what is causing the problem (though it is most likely the MAF).

Here's the Fail Safe chart for the xB:

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
insurance???? They covered a car part, or was it covered under warranty?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Probably 'extended warranty' sort of insurance...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry meant warranty.... it had been a long day... it took them 10 hours to run the diagnostics to figure out what was wrong. I was there almost the entire time b/c they kept tellin me it was only gonna be a little bit longer!

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
lol glad things worked out. I hated that about the dealership i bought my car from. i also have an 05 Tacoma. the oil change and car was took something like 3 hous one day, and i got the famous "it will be just a little longer sir. just a little longer sir, just a little longer sir". since then ive switched dealerships.

but glad to hear everything is a-ok

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
get those codes read out at autozone or something, they do it for free. or a scan took is fairly inexpensive and always a good thing to just kinda have around.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you get the dreaded CEL/VSC/TRAC just take it in. I had been trying to deal with an intermittent problem on the wife's car for over 6 months. The problem was that it always occurred on a weekend, or at night when I couldn't get the car into the dealership. Early on I used a scanner from a local auto parts store and came up with NO CODES. I knew something was wrong, but the scanner just wouldn't pick it up.

So for six months I relied on the risky ECU reset method to keep from seeing those little amber warnings. Last Saturday I finally had a chance to take it to the local service department to have them read the codes. Only problem was, "We don't do Check Engine Lights on Saturday." What? Are you kidding me? You can at least take the 5 minutes required to check the trouble code! No such luck though. They sent me home and told me to bring it back in on Monday, Presidents' Day.

Normally, I would be pretty upset, but we could park the car for two days and not reset the ECU this time. So Monday morning I took it an with those pretty little amber LEDs lighting up the dash. A few hours later we get a call that the CEL is gone and that they couldn't scan the car!

I think the service writer knew I was going to be pissed because of being turned away on Saturday. When we picked up the car he assured me that no matter what day it was, just bring the car in and they will hook up their scanner right then in the drop off bay.

Well Friday night the CEL came on again. First thing Saturday morning we showed up at the dealership. And this time, the wife stayed in the car with the engine running. I wanted them to see the CEL for themselves.

The service writer I had dealt with previously wasn't there, and another writer was trying to give me the same run around about not dealing with CELs on a Saturday. I explained my agreement with the other service writer several times and finally got them to agree to look at the car.

Of course the first thing they ask is if we have tightened the gas cap. I assured him that we knew to get gas and proceeded to suggest several of the more common triggers for the CEL on the xB.

Ten minutes later the service write returned to tell us that it was the trouble code for the crank position sensor. We signed the necessary paperwork and left the car for the day so that they could fix the problem.

About 6 hours later they were calling us up to let us know the car was done. I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I do know that Toyota has issued a TSB for the issue. Beyond the CPS there is a gear for the camshaft that has an internal tensioner (according to the service writer). That tensioner has a tendency to fail and this is what the TSB was for. The parts were replaced and the car is back on the road.

I did all of the normal shade tree mechanic stuff in the beginning to no avail. Not all OBD2 scanners can pick up the trouble codes on the xB apparently. Had I not taken the car into the dealership, I could have ended up in a much worse position. A camshaft out of synch with a the crank could end up meaning anything from a bent valve to a blown motor.

You've got a warranty, take it in. You're out of warranty, take it in. There is a specific TSB on this one. The dealership should still cover it even if you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Thanks for posting that up Tomas.

This is exactly what they had to do for me.

And I have to rant for just a second. And not just against Toyota, but vehicle manufacturers in general. TSB items should be covered for an extended period beyond the warranty. These are KNOWN issues to the manufacturer. I can tell you right now that if I pulled my car into the dealership with a CEL at 61,000 and they didn't cover me I would raise H377!

The only time I am aware of manufacturers covering TSB items beyond warranty is when the issue is considered a "safety hazard." Something along the lines of an issue that could lead to an electrical short and fire. And these sort of TSB also usually require manufacturers to contact owners of affected vehicles.

To be quite honest I think it is total b.s. that any manufacturer would refuse repairing TSB work after a warranty has expired. Especially issues such as the one I just dealt with. a camshaft being out of alignment with the crank could lead to catastrophic failure.

OK... sorry about that. I just needed to vent for a minute.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.