Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I had a strange thing happen to my 2006 XB. All doors and hatch are closed, but the "door open" light on the dashboard is staying lit. In addition, the dome light is staying on and not shutting off. Both of these lights stay on even when the car is shut off and the key is out of the ignition. In addition, my keyless remote will open all the doors but it won't lock any of them.

Can anybody help troubleshoot what could be the issue. Never had this problem before.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Someone else more technical can answer. But it sounds like a version of the door actuator acting up.

Usually, I read that they won't unlock and the passenger is stuck in their seat and cannot exit. That's what I have experienced with my box. Your situation is reversed, but is likely the same problem. And it's likely intermittent. The good news is that the part to replace in the door is not expensive.

I am just addressing the door locking issue. I'm not sure about the dome light and door open light staying on.

If it is the door actuator, youtube has several videos.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Had something similar happen to me. Didn't get the hatch closed good and dome light on and indicator light on. Can't remember if I tried locks or not. Was couple years ago.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If the pin switches are the same as those used in the bB, then check all of the hinges for sticking contacts where the purple - with white trace - lead attaches to the core of the hinge. Mine was doing this when I bought it and the reason was that the contact wasn't dropping into the hinge when the door (N/S/R in this case but all four door hinges are the same as far as I could tell) was closed, leaving the contacts connected and the courtesy lamps on.
The back door uses a switch that's operated by a lever in the lock itself and if that failed, it would have to be open so couldn't cause the same issue.

One other possible cause of the lamps not going off after the timeout has passed is that the tiny clock spring in the countdown coil is binding as a result of dust or mud entering from the engine bay side of the front bulkhead. Easiest way to tell when this has happened is that the lamps will stay up even after the central locking has been operated from the remote, instead of the light decaying gradually as the spring acts on its coil.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 11:23 AM ----------

Should have checked this before posting.. Seems that Scion's different approach (as seen in the xB's floor change, its individual front seats and its absence of door monsoons) also extends to the electrics, according to the Rock Auto parts list. The pin switches on xBs appear to have been fitted almost as an afterthought, in the pillars rather than in the hinges themselves so although the countdown timer could still fail, this would be obvious as the output of the lamps decays as the unit winds down following the closing of the last door or the operation of the c/l.

Mods: Apologies but I couldn't see an edit tab so had to make another post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: HELP! Door, dome, locks issue - part 2 help

OK - in the daylight I found the problem. When I open the rear hatch, the U-shaped bolt/latch where the door locks into lost one of the bolts, so the metal latch in the bumper is loose and the lid of the hatch isn't locking. Problem is -- how do I get repair this? One bolt is in, but the other is missing and you can't reach the underside of it. Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts