Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BOXy
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an over argued topic but I am really confused right now.

I've ordered Akebonos but even before I get them I'm planning to send them back. It seems like people mostly concerned about brake dust. I pay absolute zero attention to brake dust. I want the best braking power possible without changing my entire brake system -like upgrading to Big Brake kit etc-. My car has 135k on it and I don't think it worths such an upgrade but I still want to be able to safe when I need braking power.

Therefore, I was trying to choose between OEMs, Akebono ProACTs or Hawk HPSs. HPSs looked too much and I've heard that they needed to be warmed up to give their best performance and I've heard that Akebono is a Japanese OEM producer for most of the brands. I was still going to purchase OEMs but since both OEMs and ProACT Akebonos are Ceramic I thought there is no need to pay the extra $45 to get OEMs.

Now I'm making a little further research and I've seen people are very happy with Akebonos because there is no brake dust but braking power is a little bit "loose".

That would be a huge no no for me. Can you guys share some info? Should I pay the shipping back fee and the extra 30$ to get the OEMs or should I bring Akebonos($45) to my mechanic to be installed?

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added 06-17-2016 at 09:41 PM ----------

By the way I've also heard that ceramics are bad for colder climates and in my state we get sub freezing temperatures at least 4 months long. Should I go ahead and shop for semi metallics?

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
The friction coefficient is what makes the difference. Here's a website that explains the different DOT friction codes painted on every set of pads. DOT Pad Codes

If you want maximum stopping power with a reasonable cost, FF-rated pads are your best bet.

·
BOXy
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great piece of information, thank you.

I've found this;

Duralast Gold - FE
Duralast Max - FF
Nissan Ceramic - FF
Toyota Ceramic - FG
Akebono ProAct Ceramic- FG
Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-Met - FG
Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic- GG
Akebono Performance Ceramic - GG
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic - GG

User who posted this list says it's up to date as Jan 2016,

If the list is correct it seems like both Toyota OEMs and Akebono ProActs are FG which is better than FF?

I wish I paid the extra $50 and got the TRD pads. My mind would have peace.

---------- Post added 06-17-2016 at 11:42 PM ----------

But according to this link Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic has a GG rating which is only $36 at amazon. Akebono Performance pads are $88 with GG rating.

Confused again.

·
BOXy
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have arrived today, they have FF rating.

I'll probably stick with them to get the "luxury and smooth" feeling of these pads. I hope it's not a kind of way of saying "less brake power"

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ive been using HAWK HPS pads front and rear on all my cars for years. No problems for daily use and can even handle track use.

·
BOXy
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got them installed when it turned out to get the dealership to change the front pads and rotors around $400.

Ended up paying $200 for labor and parts at total.

This is my second day driving and I can say that they're soft. For soft braking they feel better than OEM but on heavy braking, well all I can say is that I can't have a second brake job without putting some miles on this one, but if this braking power doesn't improve, next brake job will NOT be the same brand.

·
BOXy
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has 136k on it. I have the car since 129k and I know its history since 99k. Friend who sold me the car knew its past as well and I still got the original receipts and all that with me.

Only big thing happened to it was the piston and piston ring change at 132k which gave me the confidence that I might hit at least 200k without seeing a major issue. That's why I'm trying to keep the car in good/OEM condition.

---------- Post added 06-21-2016 at 03:12 PM ----------

By the way that 7k miles put on the car in about 1 year. I drive less than 800 miles in a month. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20, NGK laser iridium sparks, TRD oil filter is the small changes I made to car since I got it and I'm planning to upgrade to TRD engine filter as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts