Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Usual Suspect
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Pirate and I am a Caveman or maybe Cave Pirate?

I am not a Phone man, I live in a "dis-connected" world. I maybe the last human on Earth not on Facebook. Most of the time I don't even know were my flip phone is. (yes he said flip phone).

In my 2010 XB I pretty much just listen to music from a thumb via the usb port. I use Audio Thief and pull music files from Youtube and save on a thumb drive. Simple & Free, but no sort functions, just advance from song to song.

I am ready to accept the reality that Android phones are not a fad. I have a free upgrade with my carrier so it's time.

My question: How do I collect music on the Android so I can play it in my car?
What App(s) would I want? Can I get SiriusXM radio on Android and run that in my car via the phone?

I have the factory Blue Tooth phone now, I would think Android would be compatible.

Thanks

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
I like Pandora. You can choose channels based on individual artists (which play the chosen artist and others with similar musical styles) or specific genres. The free version has ads every few songs, or you can pay a monthly fee for it to run ad-free. I run it on my phone through the Bluetooth connection on my head unit and it works pretty well. Most current phones have Bluetooth, so you should be in good shape there. Spotify is another streaming music option if you don't want to download a bunch of stuff.

BTW, I have a Nokia Lumia Windows Phone, and really like how Cortana, the personal assistant, handles incoming calls and texts through the Bluetooth connection on the car stereo. Incoming texts are completely voice-controlled, asking if I want Cortana to read it or ignore it - after reading it asks if I want to reply, call the sender, or am I done. Incoming calls require me to push one button on the head unit in order to take the call. Outgoing texts and calls require me to press the same button on the head unit as incoming calls, and then it's all voice control from there (for example, "Call Nathan").

I have my old Android phone hooked up to an amp and speakers in my garage, and connect through my home wi-fi. No SIM card, so no phone function; it's like an Android version of an iPod Touch. I use it mostly for Pandora and looking up how-to guides on youtube and forums. My daughter and I listened to some reggae on Tuesday while I changed her oil and did a PSF drain & fill on both our cars.

---------- Post added 08-06-2015 at 11:05 PM ----------

One thing to note - I do have an aftermarket head unit with a microphone for voice controls.

·
Usual Suspect
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve - Thank you. I read up on Pandora a little. I'm sure it would make more sense if I had the device in my hand. If I understand on Pandora I can create stations??? I'm into RockaBilly, Motown, 50's, Blues. So, I pick a music genres, then I select songs from Pandora's library? Does Pandora then make suggestions? Then say I load in 100 songs how do I find a specific song?
is pandora voice activated?

I'm in Illinios and Hands Free is mandatory.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
With Pandora, you choose your station based on an artist or genre, and then it feeds you songs; you don't get to select songs yourself. The mobile app and web interface both allow you to give individual songs a thumbs up or thumbs down, but I don't even try to use that function in the car.

Starting Pandora and changing stations with voice controls depends on your phone and your stereo. I haven't figured out a way to do it reliably yet (with my Windows phone, or the Android phone before it), so I just set it and forget it for each trip I want to use it, or I have my kids change it when any of them are with me. Some stereos offer specific integration with Pandora, Spotify, and/or IHeartRadio. Mine has that for iOS and Android, but not Windows Phone, so I typically start Pandora on the phone before I start driving.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

·
Usual Suspect
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that helps with Pandora. Thank you.

Maybe someone will recommend an App that will let me create a playlist.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd say since you already know how to rip songs and then send them to a thumb drive. You just plug your smart-phone into your computer via its cable and drag and drop them into the phone.

Though you'll probably need another program that can edit the song's name, genre, etc... so when you browse through the phone your library is tidy. I'd suggest searching Youtube to find an appropriate program and them subsequently how to use it.

Personally I still burn CDs. Though when I hear something id like to have when Im out n about i'll use either Youtube to listen to it(though I do this sparingly to not waste the data allowance) or I navigate to mp3skull . com, search then download the song.

--------
Good luck with the android. I had a flip phone myself up until the middle of April... id have to say im not a real big fan. If it broke tonight I wouldnt feel bad at all re-activating the ole flippy flip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts