Scion xB Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
ECalders:
Please seriously consider BigRuss’s advice!
The best option is for you to rent a moving truck with a trailer or car tow dolly.

You don’t tell us which generation xB’s you have so here are the numbers.
- A Gen1 xB’s curb weight is 2,395 lbs.
- A Gen 2 xB’s curb weight is 3,084 lbs.
The “curb weight” is the weight of a vehicle with standard features.
This does not include cargo, fuel or passengers.

It doesn’t matter. Either version is way too heavy for any xB to tow.
You probably think that I am a anti xB tower sneaking into the forum.
Please know I love showing what my Gen2 5spd xB can do!
She tows a 16ft CC Sundance Skiff on a regular basis with no problems.
The boat & trailer weigh about 1,000lbs total.

Let us know if you have any questions!
:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Until someone crashes into you and sends you spinning and someone dies. Then the attorneys get a hold of you, even tho the accident wasn't your fault and sue you for everything you've ever owned or will own.

Your asking for problems towing that much with this car.

Yes I have a hitch on my xB.
I tow a 135 lb boat
Not 1800+ pounds.

Please post your travel plans, dates and times and roads so myself and loved ones can avoid encountering you.

---------- Post added 08-25-2012 at 04:14 PM ----------

And to clarify: on the right is a sciob xb. Yes you 'can' tow with it. On the left 'excellent tow vehicle'

---------- Post added 08-25-2012 at 04:14 PM ----------

I know this is an old thread but sometimes I read these things and have to laugh.

For a bit of perspective, his Scion weighs 3080 pounds. A 1980 F100 weighs 3700 pounds. The Scion has as much power, better brakes and weighs 600 pounds less. Even the wheelbase isn't all that much different from the short bed truck. But that truck is rated at hauling well over 4,000 pounds and you are saying the Scion shouldn't tow 1800 pounds?

So long as the trailer has brakes 1800 pounds should not be a safety issue. It may be a bit heavy for the rear springs, but as someone pointed out, a set of air bags would solve that.

I've towed 700 pounds behind my Xb Gen 1. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was ideal, but it did the job for close to 800 miles. I never had any stability issues or safety issues. You slow it down, keep more distance between you and the other cars and drive sensibly and you are no more a risk than anyone else hauling a sizable load.

But I would be curious to know, what do you guys think it's a safety risk? That 6,000 pound truck in the picture hauling 7,200 pounds (it's rated capacity) surely isn't going to stop any quicker, or with more stability, than his Scion with 1800 pounds behind it.

50 years ago people would haul 20 foot campers behind a full sized station wagon with drum brakes and acceleration you could measure with a sun dial...

Someone might munch their transmission towing too much (as the owner is careful he should be fine) or it might be a bit slow, but beyond that, no worries.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use my 2006 xB for lots of different jobs and towing is one of them. I have a 5x8 trailer from Lowes and use a class 1 Euro style hitch. The box has done very well handling light loads and getting the job done. Even though the hitch is rated to 2000 lbs. I would never think of getting close to that. Hauling the zero turn in for service is at the top of my weight list. I love our boxes and the versatility that comes with owning them. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody I have a 2010 sound XB automatic I've pulled a 17 foot bass boat with a 250 outboard Johnson motor I would guess that package to be around 2800 maybe more Weight it pulled just finethough I will say stopping was a little bit of a challenge that's only being because Unfortunately I did not have any trailer brakes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Again, sorry for bringing up such an old thread. But if you can, is it possible to post any updates on your results with towing with the scion xb 2nd gen? I'm in the process now of towing a popup camper with it and it's been going very well for the past year, but would love to hear any good (hopefully not bad) stories about scion xb transmission/health etc.... after years of towing. So far it's been like butter towing our pup. I just hope it remains that way as it is some what of a risk. i just didn't want to have to buy a $30k car/truck or more to tow our pop up. Here's my setup...I'm kinda proud of it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, stepchild reading your response was hysterical.lol.

I but seriously, I'm homeless and live in myx wjth2 cats,iba e a ***** for my Wheelchair rack,50llbs I'd like a camper conversion or give ableto pull a trailer please help to convert my xB to be liveable

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh my, I'm just posting our experience with our wonderful 2008 XB, nothing more. I do believe it is important to post our experiences as an aid to other XB owners. I'm sorry if my post offended anyone as it was not at all my intention.
You offended a troll. It is impossible to avoid offending a troll; they're born "offended".

81 - 87 of 87 Posts