Scion xB Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the great info. I'm also in Largo FL and have a '05 that I bought new. It's got almost 72,000 pampered miles showing. I'm thinking about traveling for a year or so. I've done several long motorcycle camping trips but this time I want to trailer one motorcycle and camp out of the car. It's because of my age; I just want to take it a little easier this time and not have to set up a tent every night. I've done some measuring and my Aprilia motorcycle will be out of the wind blast. I usually stay off the Interstates anyway and enjoy the relaxed pace of the older US and local highways.

My Scion is a 5 speed so I'm not really worried about the transmission and bike and trailer should come in at under 750 lbs. I like the suggestion about rear anti sway bar.

My first destination will be Alaska so I want this rig to last. I've been towing the bikes with my Infinity but when it comes to a trip like this the Scion is a no brainer. I plan to remove the back seat and make sleeping and storage areas.

Anyone else on the forum camping with their Scion?

Jack

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
Removing the back seat isn't going to give you a flat floor... best bet to fold your seats flat and use your passenger seat to stretch out... done it a few times with one in the hospital and driving from Chicago to nc

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to remove the rear seats and install a sub floor with easy access to storage in the rear footwells and a small fold out section for when I move the passenger seat forward. I'm planning a year+ on the road and want to make sleeping as comfortable as possible. I will remove the passenger seat if needed for a comfortable bed.

I'm looking at SUV tents that will cover the rear door, any suggestions?

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
There's not Much you can do to make a gen 1 comfortable for sleeping....

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's not Much you can do to make a gen 1 comfortable for sleeping....
Well, I'm gonna try! LOL My second motorcycle trip across the country (and back) I didn't even carry a tent. Sleeping bag, thermarest mattress and a tarp was about it. I've got some really great camping gear, I'm used to traveling very light; there's not a lot you can pack on a sport bike.

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
I know about packing light on a sport bike.... Most comfortable thing I've done with the xB is put front buckets in the back seat... not exactly what you want to sleep on for an extended period of time but comfortable enough

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
The racks are good for what 200-250lbs? That box has to weigh about 50.. meaning you would have to be under 200 at the most

·
Registered
860 Posts
OK, I'm not selling these and don't have stock in the company, I'm just trying to be helpful. I'm thinking if you can climb the ladder to get in it, you're good to go. What the owner says is....
Between the two of us it's about 430 lbs. Our miniature schnauzer is named Tootsie. She didn't go on the trip with us, she was just doing a final inspection in the photo you're talking about. The ladder has a weight limit of 800 pounds! Remember that the weight is not on the roof it's on the structural parts of the xB's side walls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my Scion XB 2010 to the dealer to have a hitch for bicycles put on. As my tail pipes (2) are out the middle of the bumper they said that I can not get a hitch installed. Does anyone know of anyone who could modify a hitch to work? Perhaps something that looks more like a Y to attach under the car via bolts and come together after the tail pipes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow so glad to find this post. Everyone input and their experience has truly give me the vision. My partner and I own both Scion xB. We are moving and would like to tow second Scion xB on all four wheels, not on top of trailer bed that will adds up the weight. Think it would be possible for my scion tow another scion? Looking into getting hitch that everyone has recommendTed. However what would other scion front need? For it to attach to my scion tow hitch? I am aware, must follow gear and speed according to tow heavy capicity. Any thought about this and any tips? Much appreciate, if want to inbox me with more info. Please do, what parts I need or should get? Thank you

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
Do not tow an xB with another... it's not designed for it.. we've done it under emergency situations but if your moving just rent a trailer from uhaul with a box truck

61 - 80 of 87 Posts