Scion xB Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Bob
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I think the biggest factor in successful 2nd gen XB towing is wind resistance. If you've got a trailer that captures the wind you'll have a hard time. Our Aliner is totally out of the wind so our XB doesn't mind the weight at all. Never even breathes hard.

Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the biggest factor in successful 2nd gen XB towing is wind resistance. If you've got a trailer that captures the wind you'll have a hard time. Our Aliner is totally out of the wind so our XB doesn't mind the weight at all. Never even breathes hard.

Bob
Couldn't agree more. The gearing on the Gen II is more than adequate to pull 2,000lbs.+/- ................as long as you're not dealing with a large area of wind resistance. Wouldn't want to push speed limits due to added stopping distance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello and I just wanted to chime in on this post. I have been traveling cross country in various trailers for over 25 years now. Last summer I purchased my 2012 xb along with a Lil Guy trailer ( approx 1,000 lbs) with a Curt hitch. Well here in northern AZ we have pretty big, steep climbs. At 65mph-75mph I go up them without the XB even breaking a sweat. The rpms still stay low. I figure that in the 13,000 miles that I have on the XB almost a third is towing. Plus as an artist the cargo area is full. I must let you know that I checked out the specs with Toyota. According to my findings the transmission is rated to tow 3,500 lbs. it is the same one as used in the older model Highlander. I take into account three factors when looking at a tow vehicle....engine,tranny and frame(including suspension). I do not recommend anyone going out to buy a 3,500 trailer because really asking for trouble. But my experience with the XB has shown it to be a better towing vehicle than many I owned because of it being set so low( more stable). I am currently purchasing an ALiner pop up trailer at 1,600 lbs. It has brakes and I am talking to my mechanic to put on a tranny cooler and see about beefing up the rear suspension. Before I do so one of our toughest climbs is a few miles up the road. I am sure to be driving slower up that grade but if it goes up that than no worries. I imagine no problems though.

·
Bob
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hello Artizen...

So glad you chimed in. I was beginning to wonder how many others were towing 1500+ pounds with their 2nd gen XB. I've had nothing but good experiences towing our Aliner. If you haven't already take a look the photos I've posted earlier in the thread.

I even get good fuel mileage. Towing using the cruise control set to 64 I average over 23 mpg. Not too shabby towing 1800 to 1900 pounds. I pump the rear tires up to 40 psi when towing and the suspension hardly sags with the 200 pounds of hitch weight.

One word of advice: Before you leave the dealer's lot check the Aliner's brakes. When I drove home from the dealer the brakes didn't work at all. My son took at look at them and they were adjusted all the way out. Even with the controller set to 12 volts and triple boost turned on the brakes didn't apply. After my son adjusted them and after a break in period of about 500 miles they began to work well.

Post photos! I'd love to see your rig!

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will really check into it tomorrow. Could save me some grief. I was just remembering my old Chevy Luv truck. It had a 1.8 and I took a fully loaded UHaul trailer with all my goods up the I-70 pass in CO at about 40 mph. Funny how they rate towing capacity. I had a Dodge Ram (v8)that had problems towing a 1200lb Chalet yet my FJ cruiser (Toyota (v6)) bombed up the mountain passes towing 2,800lbs. I had to get rid of an early model Yukon truck that was rated to tow 7,000 lbs but blew out its tranny on the first 2 miles of towing a 3,300 lb trailer. The tranny was no good for towing their mechanic at the dealership told me in an aside. I will let everyone know on this post what my findings are for towing up a very long, very steep grade with the ALiner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well have the ALiner and freaked out a bit to see it next to the Scion. I went around and around with the dealer to see if he could get a smaller unit in stock and a lower one as this one is for off road. I had to go with him as I had a trade in teardrop and the only one in the state. But when it came down the unit was smaller. Because of the Curt hitch though I had to have a custom made ball mount of almost 10" s in rise! So down the road I went. I already had the Scion loaded and she went down another 2 inches but still plenty of play( next I most likely be putting on something to help with that). Normally at 65 mph my rpms are around 2,5000. Even with the trailer little change. So time for the true test....up he 7 mile winding steep mountain pass. Got behind a truck and tried to stay there but the Scion got antsy. Did not want to go 25mph. I decided to keep the rpms between 2,500 and 3,000 up the grade and let her loose. Only had the gas pedal half down and still flew past trucks. I put her in third gear most of the climb but took off in drive and suddenly was doing 72 mph! Brought back down to 65 ( it is a good idea with a trailer to keep speed down in case of problems). Anyway was very pleasantly surprised and turned around and came back down. Again the Scion clung to the curves and the trailer handled right behind. No sway at all.
Now I have a lot of trailering experience and even with this first review do not recommend novices to run out and use this as a towing vehicle. To tow properly is a learning experience. And you need to know the type of equipment to use nd how to balance your trailer load. I am using an IPad so cannot post pictures yet. But I am owing a Classic Titanium Aliner trailer approx 15 ft and 17,000 lbs loaded with electric brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Bob,

What gear do you put your Scion in when towing? I have a 2008 Xb automatic and it has D, 1 or S as an option. (I think that's what it says)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Normally at 65 mph my rpms are around 2,5000. Even with the trailer little change.
But I am towing a Classic Titanium Aliner trailer approx 15 ft and 17,000 lbs loaded with electric brakes.
Can't image ANY change in RPM IF you're in the same gear.

And what are you hauling/loading on that trailer to get 17,000 lbs.?

·
Bob
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hey Bob,

What gear do you put your Scion in when towing? I have a 2008 Xb automatic and it has D, 1 or S as an option. (I think that's what it says)
I just put the transmission in D and let it shift as needed except when facing long hills. I'll then pre-shift it down a notch. Turning off the A/C helps quite a bit in hill climbing too. Fortunately our 15' Aliner isn't the much higher off road model so there isn't any noticeable wind resistance.

One thing that help us tremendously were the mirror extenders. I think we paid about $12 for each side at Camping World. They just strap onto the existing mirrors and with those you can see to the sides. For the low price they work very well.

Bob

---------- Post added 07-24-2013 at 02:44 PM ----------

Well have the ALiner and freaked out a bit to see it next to the Scion. I went around and around with the dealer to see if he could get a smaller unit in stock and a lower one as this one is for off road. I had to go with him as I had a trade in teardrop and the only one in the state. But when it came down the unit was smaller. Because of the Curt hitch though I had to have a custom made ball mount of almost 10" s in rise! So down the road I went. I already had the Scion loaded and she went down another 2 inches but still plenty of play( next I most likely be putting on something to help with that). Normally at 65 mph my rpms are around 2,5000. Even with the trailer little change. So time for the true test....up he 7 mile winding steep mountain pass. Got behind a truck and tried to stay there but the Scion got antsy. Did not want to go 25mph. I decided to keep the rpms between 2,500 and 3,000 up the grade and let her loose. Only had the gas pedal half down and still flew past trucks. I put her in third gear most of the climb but took off in drive and suddenly was doing 72 mph! Brought back down to 65 ( it is a good idea with a trailer to keep speed down in case of problems). Anyway was very pleasantly surprised and turned around and came back down. Again the Scion clung to the curves and the trailer handled right behind. No sway at all.
Now I have a lot of trailering experience and even with this first review do not recommend novices to run out and use this as a towing vehicle. To tow properly is a learning experience. And you need to know the type of equipment to use nd how to balance your trailer load. I am using an IPad so cannot post pictures yet. But I am owing a Classic Titanium Aliner trailer approx 15 ft and 17,000 lbs loaded with electric brakes.

Hi Artizen...

We have the Aliner Ranger. It's the same size as the Classic but without the Microwave and we only have one picture windows instead of two. I have nothing but good things to say about towing with the XB. At first I was checking engine oil and transmission fluid every two hours but now I simply do that twice a day. I've never found any signs of distress in either fluid nor have I lost any. Our 2008 XB now has over 80,000 and we've not had to have any work done on it besides the regular scheduled maintenance (always done at the dealer).

I also pump the rear tires up to 40 lbs before trailering. The Aliner dealer told us to always keep the Aliner tires at 50 lbs.

Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have actually been considering towing with my 08 xB auto. I too have the class II curt hitch, but the trailer I was thinking of pulling is a 6x10 "Silver Shadow" tear drop. @1100lbs empty, I am considering a trans cooler. Also, I live in NC where hills are pretty prominent. My other thought was a possible tune on the shift firmness. With the frame of thought that Less slippage equates to less wear and tear.

Attachments

·
Bob
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I have actually been considering towing with my 08 xB auto. I too have the class II curt hitch, but the trailer I was thinking of pulling is a 6x10 "Silver Shadow" tear drop. @1100lbs empty, I am considering a trans cooler. Also, I live in NC where hills are pretty prominent. My other thought was a possible tune on the shift firmness. With the frame of thought that Less slippage equates to less wear and tear.
Hi Slide81,

That's a beautiful XB and trailer. You'll have no wind drag and at 1100 lbs I seriously doubt you'll need the tranny cooler. We pulled 2000 lbs all around the country and never had a moment's problem. Totally stock '08 XB. Soon after we passed the 100,000 mile mark we traded her in on a 2014 RAM 1500 with the Pentastar V6. Our fuel mileage is about the same as our XB but I've got 305 HP and we're now pulling a 24' Forest River travel trailer.

All the years we pulled our 2000 lb Aliner we never lost a drop of oil, water or transmission fluid. What a car! We seriously miss our XB but at our age we needed a different type of trailer and tow vehicle.

Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Slide81,

That's a beautiful XB and trailer. You'll have no wind drag and at 1100 lbs I seriously doubt you'll need the tranny cooler. We pulled 2000 lbs all around the country and never had a moment's problem. Totally stock '08 XB. Soon after we passed the 100,000 mile mark we traded her in on a 2014 RAM 1500 with the Pentastar V6. Our fuel mileage is about the same as our XB but I've got 305 HP and we're now pulling a 24' Forest River travel trailer.

All the years we pulled our 2000 lb Aliner we never lost a drop of oil, water or transmission fluid. What a car! We seriously miss our XB but at our age we needed a different type of trailer and tow vehicle.

Bob
Bah, I don't believe in limitations of age. My father owns that teardrop and he is 72 lol. I have been trying to get him into a 4spd 1962-1964 Corvair drop top, but funding isn't quite where I need it to be.

Thank you for the info on the xB, though I think my box has led a hard life before I got her. Between rodent damage and lack of care I have already had to file an insurance claim once to get things fixed. I am suspecting other things never saw the regular work that was needed either. Since my purchase I have been doing 5k oil changes with Mobil 1. So far so good on that front. Just need to get my t-harness installed so I can plug in to the tear drop. Might invest in some air struts in the future, but time and finances will tell lol

·
Registered
860 Posts
For all of you pulling I would suggest;
Rear sway bar and poly bushings in rear to control the ‘waddle’ that our busses have and if an automatic, add oil cooler and change your trans oil more often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful input here. I own a 2nd Gen 2009 xB. I'm currently looking at both the [email protected] as well as the Aliner Scout campers. I've received the standard responses of "Scions aren't for towing" and even some incredulous disdain (how dare you think of towing with THAT!?)

The thought of having to upgrade my vehicle as well as purchase a trailer nearly had me out of the market.

Until I found this forum.

The common sense advice (brakes on the trailer, speeds, RPMs, etc) have me moving forward confidently in my plans to purchase a sub 1800lb camper.

Thank you guys immensely for the wisdom you've imparted via your experiences.

-T.H.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts