Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Bob
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi XB owners. My name is Bob, I'm retired and live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. My wife and I bought our 2008 XB in July of 2007 and is now fully paid off. Hurray! We have a class II Curt hitch and have been using it to travel with our Aliner camper. The Aliner has an empty weight of 1500 lbs and loaded for camping weighs about 1800 lbs and we have electric trailer brakes. Our experience towing with the XB has been excellent. Our gas mileage remains around 20 mpg and the car never complains, has never over heated and the transmission has never over heated. We've towed with the cruise control set to 70 but I prefer to drive at 65 while towing.

The reason Scion says that Towing is not recommended is strictly for legal reasons. Here in the U.S. each individual state has their own towing regulations. To avoid legal problems they simply say not recommended. In other countries the XB is rated to tow various weights.

I can say for sure that it is an excellent tow vehicle as long as you have trailer brakes if you tow more than 1000 lbs. I personally would not tow more than 2000 lbs with the XB.

Happy Travels,
Bob

·
Registered
179 Posts
Until someone crashes into you and sends you spinning and someone dies. Then the attorneys get a hold of you, even tho the accident wasn't your fault and sue you for everything you've ever owned or will own.

Your asking for problems towing that much with this car.

Yes I have a hitch on my xB.
I tow a 135 lb boat
Not 1800+ pounds.

Please post your travel plans, dates and times and roads so myself and loved ones can avoid encountering you.

---------- Post added 08-25-2012 at 04:14 PM ----------

And to clarify: on the right is a sciob xb. Yes you 'can' tow with it. On the left 'excellent tow vehicle'

·
Bob
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my, I'm just posting our experience with our wonderful 2008 XB, nothing more. I do believe it is important to post our experiences as an aid to other XB owners. I'm sorry if my post offended anyone as it was not at all my intention.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Until someone crashes into you and sends you spinning and someone dies. Then the attorneys get a hold of you, even tho the accident wasn't your fault and sue you for everything you've ever owned or will own.

Your asking for problems towing that much with this car.

Yes I have a hitch on my xB.
I tow a 135 lb boat
Not 1800+ pounds.

Please post your travel plans, dates and times and roads so myself and loved ones can avoid encountering you.

And to clarify: on the right is a sciob xb. Yes you 'can' tow with it. On the left 'excellent tow vehicle'

lol :rolleyes:

·
chop top
8,820 Posts
I don't see a lawsuit....but you can tell who ready to sue your ass if he can...that's why he wants when and where you'll be...lmao..sue happy people make me laugh! :)

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
Awhile ago, some guy told me that they killed their transmission while towing their 2 jet skis in their 2nd gen xB...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm not ready to sue anyone. I've avg over 100,000 miles a year for a while and I see stupid stuff like this all the time.

·
Bob
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes...I agree. The transmission is the only unknown factor for me. So...before each trip I check the fluid for color, smell and if the correct amount is on the dipstick. I check with each stop for fuel and with each rest stop. So far I haven't had to add any nor has the fluid shown any sign of stress. But that's the key...check frequently for any signs of stress.

The 2nd gen XB is based on the Corolla architecture and the Corolla is rated for towing 1500 lbs in most countries. The XB has a much larger engine, is much heavier and has a beefier with a lower overall gearing ratio. It should and does make for a wonderful tow vehicle.

On Toyota’s UK website, the Yaris is credited with a towing capacity of 1050kg/2315lbs!!! And that's the Yaris. There is a wonderful article about this called "The Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy". Please Google it. It is written by Paul Niedermeyer. He skillfully explains why Toyota (and others) are not recommending towing while in other countries they encourage it on the same vehicle.

I don't believe the rules allow me to post a link but if there is no objection to it I can post a like to it in the future.

Bob

·
Bob
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah...the 1st gen XB was pretty pokey but still rated to tow 800 lbs. That's a lot for that car.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
First he is doing it right because he has trailer brakes, if he did not have trailer brakes it would be a very different story. Second he is also driving slower on the freeway to help, if you have ever rented a trailer from U-haul they all say do not go above 55pmh with it no matter what you are towing it with.

My recommendation for you is to add a transmission cooler to the car and possibly the air lift support air bag suspension to the rear coil springs to stiffen the back end up. This will help the longevity of your xB.

·
chop top
8,820 Posts
I towed a 800lb trailer from southeast Texas to anchorage Alaska.with a gen 11 xb...never had a single issue. That same xb today still is kicking at 159000 miles on it. Its been in super harsh conditions...and places no xb has gone... id say he's fine..as stated above..beef up the rear suspension a bit. Granted his is a gen 2.. it'll take the same abuse on a larger s calendar to an extent.

·
Bob
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are other tricks I've used to help the XB while towing. As I approach an uphill grade I switch off the A/C. They say that gives the engine an additional 10% more power to work with. I also find that I shouldn't use the criuse control while navigating the hills.

Our XB likes to be above 2000 RPM while cruising so towing under 60 mph on the interstates causes the transmission to hunt at times for the best gear on short uphill grades. At speeds above this it stays in top gear.

Bob

·
Bob
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a followup...We just got back from an extended Labor Day weekend of camping at Oscar Scherer State Park. Once again our XB happily towed the Aliner, no stress at all. Transmission fluid remained red and at the full level and the engine temp never even reached the 12:00 position. Cool as a cucumber. I wish I could post a photo.

Bob

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
damn Caravanner's... lol just joking man im impressed that you tow that

1 - 20 of 87 Posts