Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As promised - a photo or two of the heat wrap i did on my greddy's - Originally did it just to keep some heat off my shift cables, as my headers had been yanked off by the dealer to pass SMOG - if you recall my thread. I wouldnt beleive it if I werent the one driving it, but I CAN feel a difference. every header should be heat wrapped.
Well the Greddy Airnx system is CARB OK - but the dealer just gave me 200 bucks to put my Greddy Headers back on someplace else.
Did it myself in my gargage - bought the heat wrap, a 2 ton Jack with jack stands, and a 36" roller thing to lay on under the car from Pep boys and topped it off with a new MP# player from best Buy for my girlfriend :)
No wrap on the collector - Icoldnt think of a way to make the wrap stay, it's an awkward shape to get around the bottom half and it wouldnt stay put.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Not a bad idea after you cant use the heat shield anymore.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah - no brackets for the heat shield on GReddy Headers - thats ok - I like the wrap better. took about 2 hours to wrap and re install. could have been sooner but the Doc put me on muscle relaxers, so i was kinda out of it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
So are you saying you felt gains with the header wrap?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Nice, I really like the last pic. :cool:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I saw a show that suggested also spraying a silicon sealant over the rap to block moisture from getting under the wrap.

Sounded logical as the wraps would tend to retain moisture?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I definitely can feel a slight gain in HP - with the headers wrapped, not much but some. Plus the sound is better too. There is a spray on sealent that you can use for even better heat retention in scavenging, It seals the pores, and cures the fiberglass content of the wrap. Does'nt do much for moisture as not a lot of liquids can take the 1200 degree temp around the header.
It also changes the color of the wrap. but seeing as I liked the way it looks like it is made out of HEMP - When I wrap the collector, I will probably spray seal them at that time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The only downside to heat wrap is that when it is left on for many many miles, the exhaust will rust out faster, but its a smal price to pay if it nets some gains.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never heard of that - and I have had several exhaust systems on several cars, with cat, without cat, wrapped and unwrapped. after 10 years anything made of metal will rust out unless it is galvanized.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I wrapped the AWR Header on my Protege5 and I could dirve it around and actually reach in and grab the header, works Awesome, I used DEI (I think thats what it is called)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If you wrap a regular carbon steel or a cast setup like on some older cars I could see it rusting, but if it is a good stainless then there should be no problem. Unless you want to rub carbon all over it.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I'm sure if the header is cheap it might crack, I've heard of it happening.

The AWR Header I had on my Mazda was $500 and deleted a cat and gave a dyno tested 15hp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.