Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I need some help with a head unit. I'm wanting to go simple with a system. 1- 10" in the storage compartment, decent amp, and headunit. My question is, which headunit? I don't want to break the bank, as the system is important, but not as important is some other things I'm wanting to do. I'd like to get one that is a dvd player as well, with the flip up screen. Don't really know what to look for, as I am way out of the loop with systems nowadays. The ones with the DVD player, can I add two more minitors to my headrest with this one unit? I'd like to stay in the 400 or less range, is that possible? Please help!!!

Here is one I was looking at, any good?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wtUQ0KmPknB/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&I=110VM9312

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
I personally would stay away from Jensen, try anything else like Panasonic, Sony, JVC, or Eclipse(real nice).

·
xB Underground
322 Posts
I have have had awesome luck with Alpine, no issues, I am running the kca-420i interface with a cda-9851 head unit to run my ipod, they just came out with a new one though for ipod integration, its awesome....looks like this:

model number:
iDA-x001

hope this helps

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about an Eclipse avn2454 Headunit. Any of you all have one. How do you like them? May have the chance to buy one of those.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Whoops forgot about Alpine and Kenwood, they produce excellent HU's by far.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
What about an Eclipse avn2454 Headunit. Any of you all have one. How do you like them? May have the chance to buy one of those.
I was lookin into buying that model, but as far as I know it was discontinued. Eclipse doesn't sell that model anymore, although you might be able to find it used for a decent price. If you go that route just hold off for the AVN5500, you won't regret it.
I unfortunatly didn't have the fundage for a AVN so I bought the Eclipse CD-3100 w/mounting kit and wiring harness for $200 cash. I absolutly love it and it works with the sterring wheel controls on my 2006.5 xB (main reason for buying eclipse). Excellent sound quality and easy to install, I usually keep my volume setting at around 50 (which is pretty loud), but I haven't pushed it beyond 75 (although I know it will go higher, its just too loud).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I went ahead and got the Eclipse AVN2454. LOVE IT!!!!

I have got to say the stock speakers amazed me with a different headunit. The stock headunit do not do the speakers justice. I can't explain the differences, now I think I'll add one 10" and call it quits.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
YEah, the first thing I recommend is to keep the stock speakers and get a new H/U. Stock speakers are awesome with a properly tuned H/U.

Looks good.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Nice HU, excellent choice! I love that full screen a double din, looks great.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whats happening with the pictures? Mine shows up as a steel box I made for something else. Guess it may be a Photobucket problem.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got the kenwood kdc-x891
i dont really like the control layout other than that it sounds great
i would have got me an alpine or eclipse headunit but the kenwood came with a lateral G analyser which i really wanted.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
A lateral G analyzer? Whats that?

·
Registered
309 Posts
i think kenwood is the only company that incorporates it into their headunits.
it measures lateral Gs, the g-forces that you generate while cornering. so far ive only been able to hit .85 i need to grow a pair before i try anything higher.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i've had a pioneer avh-5700 flip screen for a little over a year, sounds great and never had a single problem with it

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I personally kept stock because I didn't have my ol' Alpine. I do now, and as soon as a few funds come around, it's getting installed. Overall though, with my external amp, the stock speakers sounded great.

Glad to hear you're happy with the Eclipse!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts