Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2005 xB and over Christmas weekend I noticed that both of my headlights are spider web cracked, from the inside out.

The headlights are stock - no new bulbs. The passenger side feels like there is a small bump where something could have hit it, however, in my opinion that spot is so small that to me it seems as though the shattering on the inside is making the headlight cover fall into the housing.

Last week I took it to the dealership and the service writer looked at it............then he had the Scion service writer look at it........................then they came out to tell me I had to get the opinion of the service manager, who was out that day.

I'm a logical person and I'd just like to have some ammo for the service manager in case he tries to say its something I did like tail gate a dump truck full of pebbles attracted only to headlight covers. So has anyone else had this problem????

Thanks a million

Christin

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
There have been people who have had chips in their headlamps...I've never heard of one actually breaking. I hope they do you well and get you new lamps. If that happens, be sure to pick up some rock blocker, as it'll be a nice way to protect the investment.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hmmmmmm... shouldn't happen. If the cracks are really on the inside of the plastic it sounds more like some sort of liquid or vapor that got to the inside surface - impacts from the outside should be felt and seen on the outside.

Only time I've heard of the lens plastic crazing was someone who had cleaned the headlights with an ammonia based glass cleaner, then applied a protective layer over that. (Hint, don't use Windex on plastic headlights...)

(Vanilla has paint protection film on her front paint, and much thicker protective vinyl over her headlights...)

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments ya'll. I'll probably head back down this week and talk to the service manager - hope I don't have to break his knee caps or anything....

I'll have to look into the protection layers once I get the headlights resolved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.