Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I’m having so issues resolving a problem with my headlights. One day the headlights stopped working. (Both) But the turning signals are just fine. I’ve done the basics, changed the fuses for the headlights and changed the bulbs themselves. But no luck. Still the turning signals are good, but the white headlights are still out. Can you guys think of anything I can do before taking it to an expert to check the wiring?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only other thing that I think might have gone bad is the switch itself. You can also try and test every fuse for the headlights if you have a voltmeter. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might be an embarrassment. Not a mechanic and barely know enough to keep up with my own car. Haha. I spoke to someone and they said it can also be a relay. In this car it’s pretty difficult to get the relays out. Do you know an easy way to remove them? By the diagram it’s to the left of fuse box but in the photo there’s wires so that means the relays are on the opposite side...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't worry about it, that's why club xb is here. And it might sound silly but try and stick your hand inside the fuse box at an angle and see if you can get a grasp on the relay and try to pull it out. I just went under there and it surprisingly isn't that hard. The opening might seem narrow, but you have a bit more room to work with once you get you're hand in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is a closer up I took. I should probably add that the relay is connected behind the wires, so as long as you can get a grasp on the relay itself, you do not need to remove the relay housing where the wires are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might be an embarrassment. Not a mechanic and barely know enough to keep up with my own car. Haha. I spoke to someone and they said it can also be a relay. In this car it’s pretty difficult to get the relays out. Do you know an easy way to remove them? View attachment 78760
Here is a closer up I took. I should probably add that the relay is connected behind the wires, so as long as you can get a grasp on the relay itself, you do not need to remove the relay housing where the wires are. View attachment 78762
Ok thanks! I was able to take it out. I have to head over to the store and get a new one just in case. After that. If that fails too. I’ll order the switch part. Trying to go baby steps. The easiest things to the tougher

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only other thing that I think might have gone bad is the switch itself. You can also try and test every fuse for the headlights if you have a voltmeter. Good luck!
I will try that. I don’t have a voltmeter and don’t know how to use it. But YouTube has it all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So guys. Fuses are replaced, bulbs are replaced, and now the relay has been replaced. Going to get a voltmeter and learn to use it. The flash to pass works and the turning signals are fine. But high beams and low beams are still not working.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
922 Posts
Place the steering column headlamp switch to low beam. Unplug the passenger's headlamp bulb three-prong plug. Check for three readings on the plug:
A. 12 volts on the black wire.
B. Ground on the black/with white stripe wire.
C. Place the headlamp switch to the high beam position and check for ground on the black/with yellow stripe wire.

You have already checked fuses, so the 12 volts should be present. If the two grounds are missing, check the ground bolt behind the interior driver's side kick panel and be sure all eyelet ended, white/with black stripe, wires are under the bolt, and the bolt is tight.

You can check the driver's side headlamp bulb plug if you prefer; the 12 volt wire there is black/with red stripe. The low beam wire and the high beam wire are the same colors as on the passenger side.

Be sure to separate the headlamp plug from the bulb before testing, or you will receive incorrect readings.

Also, be sure the headlamp relay you replaced has it's ground fastened securely. It is the white/with black wire behind the passenger's kick panel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts