Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal. I have Lumanics Titanium bulbs in my car right now at the moment. Tonight while driving home I had a car coming at me with his brights on so I flashed him to let him know...shortly after that (like 20 seconds) my headlights went out.

Now, the blue brights dash light is on no mater if I have the lights on normal or on the brights...the fog lights stay on, dont turn off if I move the lights to the brights.

So I got home and put the stock bulbs back in a same thing, all I get is fog lights and the blue bright sysmbol stays on....what could of caused this, and what should be done to fix it. The car is only 2 months old, Dealer ship takle this one?

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
hahaha!!!! you switched on the high-beams. just pull back the lever then you're cool.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sounded to me like he has the high beam indicator, fog lights, and no headlights right now...

First, check fuses.

These might help - might not. If you've made no mods to your foglights/headlights (and if the foglights were dealer installed) This might very well be something for the dealer to handle after you check the fuses.

http://tijil.org/Manuals/xB Repair Manuals/04 xB Wiring Manual/H_systemcircuits/FogLight.pdf

http://tijil.org/Manuals/xB Repair Manuals/04 xB Wiring Manual/H_systemcircuits/Headlight.pdf

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bB626 said:
hahaha!!!! you switched on the high-beams. just pull back the lever then you're cool.

dvsidboy said:
Now, the blue brights dash light is on no mater if I have the lights on normal or on the brights...the fog lights stay on, dont turn off if I move the lights to the brights.
Anyways.....

I went back out both fuses for the headlights were fried. so I swaped them out from 10s to 15s to see if that will help.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Wonder why this hasn't happend to anyone else.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The wires can handle 5 more amps, if it's a short the fuse will still pop instantly. If you still have this problem, run relays and thicker wire and use your standard wire for the trigger. That's what I'm doing to run the high and lows together when the highs are on. Old school chevy truck trick

·
Registered
126 Posts
you will be fine with those fuses for the time being, just go and get a set of fuses soon and replace them with the correct ones.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If it's a short, the post above is right, the fuses will pop quite quickly, but if is the basic overload that I suspect, the larger fuses will allow the wires to heat up a lot more than they should. Those wires are buried in a wire loom with a bunch of other wires and have a difficult time unloading their heat.

There is a reasonable chance that the insulation on the headlight wiring will get too hot and be damaged, and in turn possibly damage other wires nearby. Enough of that, and you can get a cross betweeen circuits, more heaating, unexpected circuit activations, and even an electrical fire.

That is why those fuses are there, and why they are the size they are: to protect the wiring harness.

If 10 amp fuses (one for each headlight) won't hold, you are pulling more power than the wires are designed to handle on a long-term basis, and need to find out WHY.

The normal headlight filaments only suck about 5A each...

Tom
(an IBEW member for several years)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.