Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i just got back from the state ref and i didnt FAIL or pass due to mis alignment of my wheels from getting the box droped the traction on the dyno could not keep a steady speed...the ref was cool, and he told me he would have passed me even though i had my OBX headers (no carb legal sticker) but since he couldnt obtain a steady speed he could pass or fail me so the process is aborted...now he said to be on the safe side i should change the header to a carb legal one...so which headers are carb legal???

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
None. Why?

Because they don't change your emissions, since the header on the xB has nothing to do with emmissions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the ref stated that in CA we need a carb legal header...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn so does that mean spending another 1 hour swaping into the stock header

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep...its stupid, i guess its one way of CA (state) to gain more money from companies like DC INJEN etc...thoes companies have to pay a fee for them to obtain a CARB LEGAL sticker on all their products and well all the other products that dont have the carb legal sticker wont pass thats one of the reasons injen, aem, and all the other name brand compaines charge so much for their products...and since CA is a high SMOG zone its required to have the CARB E.O. sticker on all aftermarket products even if you do pass the "emissions" part of the test you wont pass the "visual" inspection of the test...yea its gay but thats how the smog ref explained it to me...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Can you put the header on and then put the heat deflector back over it so that it is not detectible by a "visiual" inspection? Just a crazy idea. Rules were made so that its more fun and challenging to find away around them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea true that^^^^^ i already tried to do that i wish i had a custom welder

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Lots of new car come with headers from the factory and no smog tech knows how all new cars supposed to look. Just dont volunteer info that may hurt you or make the guy suspicious. All he wants is to keep his BAR license clean. Your car is simple , he wants to get you out fast and not waste his time like he will have on Broncos and Diplomats. About your ride height affecting dyno part of the test: fix it and appologize - it will help. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The dont ask dont tell senerio, just like the military.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol...im just gonna have to take the time to put the stock stuff back in this week end

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
put the stock on, get inspected, put aftermarket on.

or just go to a new shop, and skip the part about the header. just say you took the heat shield off cause you heard it gives you +5hp.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
and the NOS key chain attached directly to the ignition key give you another 3hp.

No, but seriously what he said ^^

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
hayalex6 said:
I don't believe anything is. Not even the DC.
The Dc header is CARB legal!!!!!!!!! THis has been discussed before on these boards. Go the site of DC, and it shows and tells you how to obtain the EO number. I'd still rather get the MMW header and just put the heat shield on neways:cool:

·
Registered
762 Posts
^^^ correcto!

i have the dc and the carb legal sticker right on the hood latch brace. id rock a mmw in a heartbeat though haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.