Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone taken the stock heads and had them ported yet?

I know that, yes this sounds really stupid but it is true, that the Yugo Racing guy got a Yugo's hp up to about 155 hp NA on a stock engine almost entirely through head porting and proper tuning etc in regards to it.

I am hoping to see some numbers on what you guys have done so far. I haven't seen/heard about that much internal work done by anyone so far other than toughening up the internals.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Killerxromances did, talk to him.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Be VERY carefull when you or anyone does this to your head. Your chances are better that you will make your engine perform worse than stock if you port your head.

Porting isn't just about making the passages in the head larger, they still have to flow smoothly and get slightly smaller as they approach the head. If you just hog out the passages in the head and do it wrong you will slow down the intake charge and actually hurt performance.

I honestly wouldn't do it on an xB unless I was positive it would turn out right. I also wouldn't do it unless I was installing other mods to take advantage of the porting like larger valves, a larger cam, and decking the head.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Yep... Twiddler was the man. I'm not about to go read back through the thread, but I beleive he saw ZERO gain from the head job. Maybe with a stand alone you could see a difference. But with the stock ECU... forget it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
yeah the stock ecu will crap on any modification you do and you cant flash or reprogram it from what i understand. with a standalone and proper tuning you could probably see some results. i doubt youd get any spleen shattering acceleration though :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh for the love of finding an MTI level port shop for an xB block!!!

http://www.motorsporttech.com/c5_engine01.asp

Sigh, it is a freakin' headache to just get the box to the level where you can actually do work to it. As far as modding goes it is probably the worse engine to do work on that I have seen so far (ECU, fuel system etc).

That includes the blown engine out of my old 1977 Pontiac Espirit Firebird... (301ci the absolute worst V8 to be made in the US).

Ugh. No luck in finding suitable engine swaps either...

Oh well gotta keep searching!

·
Registered
214 Posts
So has anyone taken the stock heads and had them ported yet?

I know that, yes this sounds really stupid but it is true, that the Yugo Racing guy got a Yugo's hp up to about 155 hp NA on a stock engine almost entirely through head porting and proper tuning etc in regards to it.

I am hoping to see some numbers on what you guys have done so far. I haven't seen/heard about that much internal work done by anyone so far other than toughening up the internals.
yes..what do you want to know? I don't have numbers on just the p&p job, but it gained me 7wtq and 12whp on a all motor platform. Based on what i've seen, 2-3whp on a stock motor. I could try and hunt down my old dyno sheets and show you the before and after differences..what else do you want to know?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay now those are actually pretty good numbers there.

To be honest that is quite a bit more of a gain than I was expecting on a modded car. What other mods did you have on the moddified all motor platform?

A comprehensive list would be cool too if you can get it.

As far a flow numbers and intake velocity how did that go?

I doubt flow is going to be a big thing (I assume you didn't increase ci) but I bet increasing air velocity helped out a bit with motor mods being put in there.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Genesis... I am sure Tony will come in and post, but until then...

The basics of his N/A build was custom forged pistons with 11:1 compression and a stand alone ECU. As well as all of the typical bolt on goodies (I/H/E). That is what he was running when he saw his gain with head work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The pistons are tough enough to take nitrous I assume (of course they are), is he going to work on the crankshaft?

Do they make anything (crank) for the xB block and is anything for the Celica (or whatever) able to be put into the xB's block?

I have been looking for awhile now but I can't find anything concerning their compatibility. I haven't even seen much concerning tC and xB compatibility.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.