Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32036 Tells ya pretty much everything you need to know. Use High heat/high resistance adhesive. If you have access to a compressor this stuff works really well http://www.baerfabrics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=13848-GAL . Can buy online or search the local auto trim shops for it. It's actually heat activated. Just buy a cheap 20 dollar spray gun from the parts store, and go to work. Make sure that the material you use has some sort of backing to it, or isn't super thin so the adhesive doesn't soak through. General rule is if you can see through it, then the glue will soak through. Stay away from stretch fabric, and try to pick up material that has some sort of UV resistance to it. Headliner is not as important as it won't be in pounded by direct light, but if you do the pillars it might be an issue. Most suede, leather, vinyl, etc..etc.. bought from trim shops will have some sort of UV protection listed for them

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
true da...it does need to conform to curves, but be careful of stretch material. Usually it stretches cause it's made of thin material, with no or little backing, that's somewhat porous. Also when you stretch it the tiny holes that are there become bigger just inviting glue to soak in. I'd test it first to make sure the adhesive doesn't soak through. Nothing worse than finishing it, and then find glue spots a week later cause it soaked up. We're doing a friends right now, and he originally had stretch velvet, and it soaked up like a sponge. Regular material will conform to curves with a little working, and our headliners are relatively flat (not many tough complex curves) that thicker material will work around without too much difficulty . Let me know how it turns out though. If it works then I'd be interested in what the material looked like that you used. Always wanting to hear other experiences/methods of doing stuff.

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
yup it does need to stretch. i purchased black vinyl from walmart. it turned out purdy good. the spray glue that you buy at the stores barely works on the headliner we had used 4 cans and got high off of it. LOL. for some reason the material doesn't stick. so done it pro for cheap, balliztik discount. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts