Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having a problem with my cluster for some reason when it gets really cold outside it starts like flashing and it takes a while for it to stop for some reason I guess when the car warms up that’s when it stops the flashing and my speed or fuel levels or RPMs don’t work when it’s cold outside, that’s weird can anyone tell me what’s the problem thanks?

·
Old School xB Builder
1,727 Posts
Do you have a cold air intake? Mine did the same thing once. The CIA came loose and rubbed thru the wire harness beside the battery. That was my issue.

Sent from my pimped out xB

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yes, temperature related. mine does same thing when it is below 40 degrees. just let it run for a minute or two then buckle the seat belt and it will stop and fuel gauge and tach come back to life. from what little I found about it, it seems fairly common and techs linked it to ecu being cold. I have stock intake, new battery, alternator pushing 14 volts, no terminal corrosion or ground issues. someone said they swapped clusters and same thing went on. I will just live with it until spring and then when it isn't below 40 it won't happen. has no bearing on how the car runs either. 18 yr old ecu ftw!.....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
55 this morning....no flashy flash. 70 this afternoon after work.....no flashy flash. Supposed to be 35 Friday morning.....betting there'll be flashing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having a problem with my cluster for some reason when it gets really cold outside it starts like flashing and it takes a while for it to stop for some reason I guess when the car warms up that’s when it stops the flashing and my speed or fuel levels or RPMs don’t work when it’s cold outside, that’s weird can anyone tell me what’s the problem thanks?
I got the same problem bro"

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB, A/T
119 Posts
Sounds like moisture in the cluster, and when it gets cold, it don't work. If you know it's gonna be cold the next day and you have to leave at a specific time, unplug your cluster and take it inside with you.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
everything inside mine is dry.....windows, door seals and fresh air door shut. Had leaking windshield when I first got it 2 yrs ago and it wasn't doing it back then. had new glass and seal a month after getting it. been dry ever since. wasn't doing this last winter.

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB, A/T
119 Posts
The cluster isn't a sealed or potted device, and eventual moisture ingress is a possibility at any time through failed rubber seals or just gap tolerance shifting as materials go through thermal expansion. It could be nothing more than it being a humid day the last time a pressure difference happened with the cluster, and it sucked in air to equalize pressure, pulling in moisture. A possible solution would be to pull the cluster, remove the outer plastics, and inspect the boards for damage or corrosion. I've not done that myself, but it's what I'd do with any sort of electronics I'm working on having moisture issues.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
When it is cold enough to make it happen for me, dewpoints are in teens which means air is dry, car is dry. Temp is only factor in my case. If humidity was a factor for me it'd be doing it all spring, summer and fall where I live. It only happens when cold. It also stops doing it long before car warms up. Getting another cluster means it'll just happen later on if not already when you swap it and where is that gonna come from? Right, a junkyard car that is most likely got windows out and being rained in and has 300k miles on odometer...no thanks. I'll live with the one I have. It is minor nuisance.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Seems like I remember in the early days of some issues with clusters. I picked up one from junkyard for friend several years back. Can't remember what the issue was now.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am just weighing with these cars being 16-18 yrs old at this point, putting in a cluster with 2 or 3 times the mileage on the odometer compared to what mine has and it already or eventually doing the same thing vs just living with mine flashing for a coupla minutes at most upon initial startup only when temp is below 40. Trade off not worth it to me but it may be to others.

Now if it stops working at all.....different story.

·
Registered
5 Posts
this happened to my XB1 about 2 years ago. One day out of the blue I experienced the blinking gauge cluster. It happened like 7 out of 10 times. The 2nd week I got tired of it and started checking the electrical system. The Battery and Alternator passed so I unhooked the cluster and didn't find anything burnt. I added an extra ground and nothing improved. Decided to bite the bullet and get one out of a junkyard. Lo and behold it worked and never had a single issue since.

The bad part, the current odometer now shows 105,000 miles extra miles.

Now you tell me how a cluster that was more used doesn't have an issue? At installation I wrote down both of the odometer's mileages to keep a record.

Can someone fix the "bad" cluster? yes probably...
Can someone reset the odometer to whatever mileage? yeah probably...

Would either be worth the cost they will charge, nope not on an almost 20 year old car

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2004 Scion xB the problem after doing a bunch of troubleshooting happens to be the capacitor inside of the cluster itself when they get old the cold makes them very weak they're very easy to change go to Amazon get a 110 PC capacitor changing kit and wham all done

1 - 17 of 17 Posts