Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remove the cover cap from end of wiper arm. This exposes the 10mm nut. Remove nut and pull hard slightly, and the wiper arm comes off.

Open the hatch and gently remove the plastic clips holding the fibreboard cover in place. I used a body panel removal tool and still damaged a few of the clips.

Becareful as the cover is flimsy and bends easily enuff.

IIRC, there are 4 or 5 10 mm bolts/nuts holding the motor assembly in place. (I'm not sure of the number of bolts/nuts as I did this well over a year ago.) Unclip the electrical connector, remove assembly, and tape over the electrical connector w/ a few layers of electrical tape.

I can't remember if there was the plastic sheeting over it or not, but just pull it back if there is.

To cover the hole, I went to the hardware store and found a suitable plug. The hole is 1 1/16 inch in diameter, and the closest I found was 1 inch in diameter. Nothing a little silicone couldn't handle. If excess silicone oozes out, let dry and run your fingers over it to remove.

Replace cover and close hatch.

Finished. (IIRC, they are all 10 mm, its been a while.)

I may have left out a few steps, just post up where. I did this well over a year + ago, and went from what I could remember, which isn't much nowadays.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Good job

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Thanks, Brad! I'm gonna use that info when I take off my wiper and replace it with a mini disco ball.;)

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scion-Doll said:
Thanks, Brad! I'm gonna use that info when I take off my wiper and replace it with a mini disco ball.;)
You're welcome Tammie!

I know a few tricks, but I've already posted all of them.

Not bad for a non-expert/mechanic, eh?

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
You under-estimate your helpfulness, Bro! Good post, I'm gonna put this on the list of mods that are easy on the pocket! :D Something to do at an install party, thanks.

·
lets play beer pong!
274 Posts
im gonna do this over the weekend

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
squirrel said:
You're welcome Tammie!

I know a few tricks, but I've already posted all of them.

Not bad for a non-expert/mechanic, eh?
You and all the other guys have an advantage over me and that's knowing something about xB's and cars in general. All I know how to check my oil, put gas in it and keep it looking pretty. Every little bit helps me know more about my xB!

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason why I took the wiper assembly off is because I rarely used it as I apply Rain-X to me windows. That and the fact, that since I drive oon the freeway 95% of the time, road dirt and grit got stuck between the rubber wiper blade and the glass, and it etched/scarred the rear window.

So, if you xB is lowered, pull the wiper blade back everyday before you drive. And check for any dirt or road grit. The dirt gets sucked back there because of the increased negative pressure caused by the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
squirrel said:
The reason why I took the wiper assembly off is because I rarely used it as I apply Rain-X to me windows. That and the fact, that since I drive oon the freeway 95% of the time, road dirt and grit got stuck between the rubber wiper blade and the glass, and it etched/scarred the rear window.

So, if you xB is lowered, pull the wiper blade back everyday before you drive. And check for any dirt or road grit. The dirt gets sucked back there because of the increased negative pressure caused by the aerodynamics of the vehicle.
Yeah, I've got some minor etching on my rear window as well. As for that plug, did you get at a hardware store? (Home Depot?)

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dtrain619 said:
Yeah, I've got some minor etching on my rear window as well. As for that plug, did you get at a hardware store? (Home Depot?)
I actually bought it at Ace, but any hardware store should have something comparable.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
squirrel said:
I actually bought it at Ace, but any hardware store should have something comparable.
Cool. Maybe I'll try it soon myself. I have a couple of removal tools, that should make it easier to manage getting the panel off. If I get it done before someone else does, I'll be sure to take pics.

·
lets play beer pong!
274 Posts
i will do the step by step to help you guys out

·
-=(( Gcat ))=-
635 Posts
I am not in the least bit mechanically inclined...

With that in mind add pics please :eek:

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
hey squirrel, where were the plugs in the store? I stopped by a few local stores and couldn't find anything that would work. I have a perfect idea of what the plug needs to be but I can't find it.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dew said:
hey squirrel, where were the plugs in the store? I stopped by a few local stores and couldn't find anything that would work. I have a perfect idea of what the plug needs to be but I can't find it.
They are the plugs that should be found near plumbing. My Ace has the hard plastic, and the chrome metal ones also.

The hole is 1 1/16 diameter and the best fit I could find was 1 inch diameter.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Gcat007 said:
I am not in the least bit mechanically inclined...

With that in mind add pics please :eek:
Same goes for me....obviously;) . Pics would be good so I can see the actual "how-to".

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
squirrel said:
They are the plugs that should be found near plumbing. My Ace has the hard plastic, and the chrome metal ones also.

The hole is 1 1/16 diameter and the best fit I could find was 1 inch diameter.
Chrome? ;) ;) Maybe the chrome one can be stripped and painted to match.
hmmm *puts hand on chin and rubs*

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.