Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Don't be fooled how that website markets the Agency Power crank pulley! It is NOT an underdrive pulley, it is a LIGHTWEIGHT pulley, and does the same as the Perrin. Just a heads up.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Perrin for the win!

Perrin Pulley on the Camera car (me)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
I personally would not buy from the site mentioned......even though I could drive there in person. I agree you should go with the lightwieght pulley like the perrin or the agency power I am selling for my friend.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I agree with the previous statements made. I would go with anything but a lightweight pulley for the xB. I wouldn't even consider the offerings from Unorthodox, NST and the like.

But to be perfectly honest, I will probably never run a lightweight pulley on either of my xBs. And I only say this because of the few instances of problems I have seen on this site and SL. The issues range from sheared pins, to incorrectly machined pulleys that threw belts.

Yes, it will allow the engine to rev more freely, getting you to the power band faster. But for me the risk just isn't worth the reward. I am very particular about the modifications I make to my cars. And if I am going to be installing something with as much potential for catastrophic failure as a crank pulley, it better give me a lot more than less engine load. To take that kind of risk I would want to see gains along the lines of forced induction or nitrous.

Just my 2 cents.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I've had my pulley for since Christmas of 05' with no problems.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Mar/Apr 06 here! I knew the scenarios going into it, haven't had any issues yet.

The only time I've heard of people's pins being broken were S/C'd motors, and since I don't have that kind of powah yet....I think I'm good. I may go back to the stock pulley if and/or when I decide to put some extra oopmf to da boombox.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have no doubt that there are thousands of people running the Agency Power and Perrin pulleys successfully. I was just stating my own personal opinion. It is that whole risk vs. reward thing. Sure you may never have a problem. But the reward of less engine load just isn't worth the risk of catastrophic failure from a part like a pulley. Especially when there are known issues with that part. (Yes, even on cars that aren't supercharged.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I'm not sure if I want to get a Perrin pulley put on my engine. I don't know if I want to take the risk. I already have a Fujita short ram and a magna flow muffler. I don't think I can get much extra power out of my box without headers or a turbo.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just received my Perrin pulley. Is this something most engine mechanics can install? Is there any special tool or equipment needed for installation?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Now I'm not sure if I want to get a Perrin pulley put on my engine. I don't know if I want to take the risk. I already have a Fujita short ram and a magna flow muffler. I don't think I can get much extra power out of my box without headers or a turbo.
I'd take all my other motor mods off to keep my pulley if I had too. I didn't feel any difference from anything but my pulley.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I just received my Perrin pulley. Is this something most engine mechanics can install? Is there any special tool or equipment needed for installation?

I'm not an engine mechanic and I did mine, so I hope an engine mechanic can do it.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Just about any mod will have a bit of risk of failure even if you know what your doing. I thought my Perrin pully was a well made part. If you dont inspect any part for flaws or install it incorrectly you might see problems.
But that would be true of anything you do to your car. I worry more about crossthreading sparkplugs or busting a bolt for example.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I have no doubt that there are thousands of people running the Agency Power and Perrin pulleys successfully. I was just stating my own personal opinion.
Your opinion is welcome here, but you don't have to post and post on something you aren't interested in putting on your ride. You could of posted your opinion and left it at that, you don't have to brain wash anyone into thinking there car is going to screw up if using aftermarket parts. Just shoot them a link to something if you need to.

I'm on here every once in awhile and I have noticed that a lot of your other posts are similar to these, Just try not to turn this site into SL. There are lots of positive and negatives that can be said from thousands of people, if certain parts were so bad you wouldn't be the only one to chime in. :(

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Calm down Padanky.

I made my initial post and had no plans for any additional posts. The only reason I posted a second time was because of Boombox's comment about the only people having problems were those running superchargers. That simply isn't the case, and so I posted the second time.

And if you really read my post you will see that I went out of my way to state that this was my own personal opinion, for my own personal vehicles. I also stated that I was sure that there were thousands of people running lightweight pulleys on their xB without issue.

I try to be as fair as I can when I post here and on SL. But I am not one to hold my tongue. I do my best to play nice. But, if I see something I don't like, or something that is flat out wrong I'm going to post.

The minute a forum gets to the point where individuals don't feel comfortable posting their honest opinion is the minute that forum begins to die. Or become nothing more than a meaningless circle jerk devoid of any valid content. That doesn't mean people should feel comfortable coming in and making posts that instigate and are nothing more than inflammatory. There is a big difference.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I've just noticed that most your posts are always pointing out negatives and no positives, so much that I've thought you were just hatin' some times. I read all the posts above, and in other threads. I'm aware of your opinions, These kinds of posts are why I stay away from SL unless I have to be on there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.