Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I (accidentally) sprayed an All Purpose cleaner onto my windshield from the interior side. Does anybody have suggestions on how to remove it? Thanx!

·
Registered
326 Posts
If the stains are actually from hard water, you can make up a mixture of 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts h20 that will eat through the build up while staying safe for your paint.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I actually have hard water stainrs all over my car and windows :|

How do you apply the mixture of vinegar and water? Just wipe it using a rag? I've tried this on a part of my car, I'm not even sure if it took out some.

·
Usual Suspect
1,149 Posts
Vinegar is maybe the safest acid one can clean with. Think about it, you can drink the stuff.

Soak a small bit of paper towel and just hold it on the hard water stain for a few min. The dwell time that there is contact is what does the work.

Clean neutral ph water to rinse, bottled water if you only have hard on tap.

You may need to wax that spot.

The stain may be the soap or cleaning chemical residue vs. water.

·
Registered
259 Posts
sorry for threadjacking.

Anyway, I've made that mistake too before. Spraying the dash and a bad aim. Those all purpose cleaners smear like hell. Not sure about a solution to use but whatever you use, wipe it with a newspaper instead of a rag. It going to take a couple of wipes. It's a pain in the ass. I think any window cleaner will do + newspapers.

Also dont use alcohol on the all purpose cleaner. It will just get worse. +

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used Turtle Wax on the glass to remove hard water stains from my wife's car windows (she parks on the the sprinkler side of the driveway). Somebody made the suggestion to me and I was surprised to see it worked...GL

·
Usual Suspect
1,149 Posts
Try Sparkle window cleaner !! My wife will not use anything else !!
Sparkle is a decent and rather safe for most surfaces because it doesn't have Alcohol or Vinger which are hard on plexiglass and most plastics.

They use Glycol which is NOT so good for the human's cleaning with it.

Glycol ethers. Found in glass cleaners, floor cleaners, and oven cleaners, some glycol ethers are reproductive toxicants. One of the more common one is 2-butoxyethanol (aka butyl glycol or butyl cellosolve), which can damage the nervous system, kidneys, and liver and be absorbed by the skin from the air.

Also, Glycol is rather cheap to make. It's also in Anti-freeze.

HighSchool chem taught (some of us) that an acid (vinger) plus an base/alkaloid (Calcium/iron - Hard water stains) with neutralize each other.:D

Coffee stained stainless steel sink(Acid) pour some Bleach (Base)in the sink and the stains disapear in front of your eyes. :cool:

I manage a commerical cleaning company.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.