Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done the research. I have scoured the internet. I have asked those in the know. So now I turn to you the XB group to help me out. I wanted to get HID's for my ride since I bought it. I just wanted to do HID's in the stock housings. Now last weekend I was given a very nice set of dual projectors for my ride (Thanks Kartel) and Im again on the elusive hunt for the perfect HID. So why is it I see people on here selling them for 200-300 bucks but when I google search for HID's I get priced 2 to 3 times that much. Does this mean that we are getting a DEAL or does this mean that we are getting second rate junk? Also, it seems to me that just about everyone is now selling some form of HID kit, so why arent the prices lower than they are? Can someone give me an explanation please. I need to make this purchase but I want the best bang for my buck.

TIA
Shawn

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK! This is exactly what Im talking about. Right now there is a group buy going on from Oznium for $210. Better price? Yes Better or equal quality? I have no idea. Madmaxb thank you for the reply, I have already looked at 365's lighting. I just want to know what makes them better then any other.

·
HORNBLASTER
446 Posts
Some people say that u want to stay away from the hids that are made in china and japan they say the quality not that great . Try to get the ones made in germany or tawan. I had a set from china crap out on me within 4 months . Lets just say u get what u pay for when u by hids

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would be intersted in these findings as well, have basically looked at a lot of these "buys" as well. There is a guy over on OhioScions that is selling some now. From the pictures they show, defnitely worth getting and in this price range.. but I agree lot of opinions!!

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
i got mine from stillenmaxima on ebay. the brand is techone . I have em in stock housings . the bulbs i got have anti glare shields and work perfectly in stock housing.

they use phillips parts in my kit. I got it for 239 shipped.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sesh1975 said:
OK! This is exactly what Im talking about. Right now there is a group buy going on from Oznium for $210. Better price? Yes Better or equal quality? I have no idea. Madmaxb thank you for the reply, I have already looked at 365's lighting. I just want to know what makes them better then any other.

I have the Oznium lights, I have had them installed for many months and have had not issues whatsoever. Nor have I heard of anyone having any issues with the Oznium lights. I say with the better deal. And you cannot beat Ozniums customer service.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Franken, you know Im leaning towards Oznium as it is. I know you have the exact same lights as I do so that gives me some relief knowing that they work well for you. Its just so many people are selling these lights and they all make the same claims but one costs 1000.00 and the other 199.00 so Im just trying to figure it all out.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I understand, and all I can do is relay my personal experiance and the of some of my club members. I have one other guy in my local chapter who has them in his too, he loves his as much as I do.

Hell, I like mine so much I replaced my high beams with green led pods......lol.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here's the skinny....just like madmaxb said buy them from us cause they are great! Kidding aside glad you like the kit! :cool:

Here we go...buy a $150 kit off ebay lets just say you get what you pay for! A decent kit will be between $200-$400 everybody has different opinions on which ones are better and why...just make sure somebody stands behind your purchase in case you need help with the install or down the road, as hotbox05 points out make sure you have glare shields, no shields just pass on the purchase --trust me ;) -- this makes all the difference in the world on useable light but only applies to those of us with the stock housings using H4 bulbs and I noticed you said projectors which will use a H3 or 9006 or possibly something else, your output will be at the mercy of the projector lens. Some brands are great and if you have looked around you have seen some are terrible...you should be able to see which ones you have with the halogens, if the pattern is not up to par throwing more light into the mix will not make things better..also some lens are tinted blue or purple which looks cool but will change the color of the bulb you are using!

Here are other things to look for..water resistance of kit (hate to short something out in the car wash!), integrated ignitors (less parts under the hood), relay harness (bypass stock wiring and provide constant power to ballasts)..after that pick a brand and a kelvin 6000K or 8000K are good as they provide useable light..but be wary as colors vary between brands..in the F1Spec kits 6000 is pure white and 8000 introduces a slight blue tinge...some kits 8K's are pure blue! Any questions just let me know..

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the information 365. The bulbs are 9006. The lenses really arent that bad to be honest. I have been playing around with them at night getting the focus a bit better. I will say the cut off is perfect and I really think they would improve with a good set of HID's. What makes your kit different from say Ozniums? There is a $65 dollar difference, Your not charging $65 dollars for a relay are you?

·
HORNBLASTER
446 Posts
:) he throws the relay harness in for free just tell him ur from clubxb and if u have any questions on hookin them up just send Zack a message and he responds pretty quick .

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yep the harness is free, F1Spec and Oznium's are different kits like the Toyota - Honda thing different brands, similar features but cost can vary...F1's are 100% waterproof, built-in ignitors, protection circuitry, 1yr no hassle warranty and I've had good luck with them myself! As for the Ozniums I haven't had experience with them but Phil's a good guy and I know sometimes price wins! On the Ebay kits don't get me wrong I have heard of people rocking Ebay kits with no trouble but most of them get the brands changed regularly so they get tricky sometimes if you ever need a part. Iv'e been doing these kits for a while but alot of the questions I usally get asked are generic enough that they cover all Xenon HID kits so feel free to ask away...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well as of tonight Im still up in the air about what Im going to do. I drove around here after dark again just to see if the adjustments I did this morning helped. They did, but again HID's are needed.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i personally run a lexus oem hid setup atm. setup a custom relay harness and did some snipping and attached some connecctors and works fantastic. ive completely sealed the balast so it doesnt get water in it. going this route can be cheap. u have to play the ebay game most likely. i personally work for the company and yanked em out of some warrantied headlight housings. for new it would cost roughly about 1200. used u can get 200ish. if ur into fabrication this is the route to go. oh and 4300k is pure white, 6000k is a bit more crystal white, tinge of blue at angles.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i have a set of two d2r 4300k bulbs i could sell u. oem from lexus. philips bulbs made in germany.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.