Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i saw on the other site that some one made there on kit and they grounded from the struttower to the valve cover to one of the coilpacks then to the battery then again to the other struttower. does this not seem redondent why go to both struttowers and each coilpack is already grounded in wiring harness. just like to get some feedback on this.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
It looks purddy.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That statement along with your avatar is priceless.

Thanks for a good laugh.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You have to remember that our cars are built of layers of sheet metal. Between each layer there is a layer of non-conducting material.Between the strut towers there are some where between 12 and 18 layers of this sound deadening/water-proofing material. In order for the ground connection between the strut towers it relys on just the spot welds to conduct. Since you cannot really rely on those connection for a good ground, why not improve your chances and ground each body panel directly?

With the engine, the ground work in the same way, between each metal component of our engines there is a gasket of non-conducting material. We rely on just the bolts for ground, where any oxidation,grease,or assembly lube can cause a ground fault.

This is why I added grounds to each , and scraped the paint and then cleaned with a degreaser each and every ground connection, such as,tower,firewall,transmission,head,block,alternator,body,original ground locations ( these can be found by looking for groups of white w/black stripe wires in a flat lug). Even these grounds are not cleaned, there is primer and paint between each metal part, making for a poor ground.

I worked for 13 years in an auto assembly plant and saw how they build em, and yes it was a Toyota Plant for those that ask.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
frog did you notice any inprovement in all these new grounds. and what about the coilpacks they are already grounded in the wiring harness and running a ground to a plastic coilpack seems a little stupid to me but i may be wrong on this. i'am going to make my on kit i just needed to find out were all i need to run all my grounds to.
rick prater:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
368 Posts
The coil packs are grounded where they bolt on, there is a small metal tube inside it.
And the head/valve cover ground is for the sparkplugs, they are metal body,thru threads to the head.

I had 1 cylinder that was not always firing, sending a cel and making the car run like poop, as you can well imagine. Modding the ground improved it.
My head lights no longer dim with the rpm. No more whine in the stereo, no interferance when I run my laptop while the car is running.

With the new grounds to the head, getting a better spark, I got slightly better mpg, smoother running engine.

If you want approximate location, I listed where I put mine in the previous post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.