Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i just got in the mail the grounding kit i bought off ebay and theres no installation instruction:mad: can someone help me out, i dont know where these grounds supposed to go... i wanted this installed by this weekend for extreme auto fest and the longo meet... oh and it also came with a stabilizer, does that only connect to the positive and negative ports of the battery? thats it?:confused:

·
Registered
367 Posts
xBx29xEF said:
okay, i just got in the mail the grounding kit i bought off ebay and theres no installation instruction:mad: can someone help me out, i dont know where these grounds supposed to go...
Working from passenger side to drivers side, you run one from the AC hose mount to the engine block, from the block to the coil pack (under the engine cover), coil pack to the battery, battery to the.....hell, I dont know what it is. It is a thin piece of metal wire that holds a vacum line or something....damn it, I thought I could have been more help.

I did a DIY ground kit for about $7.00. I didnt care about claimed power gains or anything like that, just wanted to get rid of that annoying shock I got almost everytime I got out of my box. It worked! That and it looks cool as well.

I did noticed it takes one less crank from the starter to get the engine started though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
On mine I put one on each of the following : Head ( coil pack), transmission (location of stock), firewall ( near cowl), alternator (mounting bolt), strut tower (stock location drivers and passengers), head lights ( stock location)

PS: do not forget to scrape all paint and clean all contact points before bolting it up

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cravin said:
Bring it along and a 10 mm wrench and socket we'll put it on at the show. :)
cool, thanks jpat... i was already planning on bringing some tools anyway.. i'll take you on that offer :D:D

·
Registered
361 Posts
I believe that the orignal chassis ground is a 12 or 14mm. but yea other than that I thing theyre all 10mm. my grounding kit the eyelet was too small to fit the orignal chassis grounding bolt through. but I just cut the eyelet so it will open up like a C then the bolt fit.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Why in the hell does everyone that owns an xB and their brothers buy these grounding kits? Do they actually do anything?

I'm not trying to offend anyone with tis post, I'm really just trying to get the 411.

·
Registered
367 Posts
ctruss said:
Why in the hell does everyone that owns an xB and their brothers buy these grounding kits? Do they actually do anything?

I'm not trying to offend anyone with tis post, I'm really just trying to get the 411.
heathenbrewing said:
....I did a DIY ground kit for about $7.00. I didnt care about claimed power gains or anything like that, just wanted to get rid of that annoying shock I got almost everytime I got out of my box. It worked! That and it looks cool as well.....I did noticed it takes one less crank from the starter to get the engine started though.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i noticed a little difference, the throttle response is a little bit quicker, the headlight and interior light is brighter and the sound system bumps a little harder.

i havent connected anything to the transmission or alternator yet cuz i'm not sure which bolt to place it under.

·
Registered
367 Posts
ctruss said:
Hmmm.

Well I don't get shocked getting out of my car and it starts right away, so I guess I don't need this mod.

Thanks for the info.
Just to clarify, my box too starts straight away.

It use to take 3, rarely 4 "cranks" from the starter before the engine would turn over, now it takes 2.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Ever since I put my grounding kit on my Box starts faster, runs faster, I get better gas milage, my lotto tickets have been winning, my girlfriend lets me bring other women home and I got a raise at work.

Just kidding, it does look cool though! :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
theboxboy said:
ok .. i know i might be a moron but.. really what is the grounding kit do?
and how does it work..
pm me or place it on here .. thanks

THEBOXBOY
Jon
The idea is to provide a better ground so that electrical parts will get a "cleaner" signal/power. Supposedly the a "cleaner" signal allows the computers and sensors in the car to work better. Think of a remote control with ok batteries. It will still work but you might have to get closer to the tv to get the remote to work. Some cars have better effects then others. Honestly I didn't see a huge difference. I do know that my voltimeter drop is only .3-.5v instead of the .7-1v drop after the ground wire install, with the subs clipping really bad. lol.

·
Registered
309 Posts
its not a huge difference but its enough that i feel the difference.
i would like to ground the transmission as well since its hydroelectric.
i would think that would be the most important point for ground wire.

anyone have any recommendations of how to wire the ground to the transmission?

also i asked before and no one answered, does it matter if i wire from point to point or from point to battery?

·
Registered
454 Posts
The trans thing I can't help you with. Honestly there are two schools on the point to point thing.

Some say you can get better performance out of the point to point method. You can pick and choose what is grounded and how it is linked up. Personally I went with the point to point, I couldn't justify spending 100 bucks on a hyper ground, or 20 bucks for an ebay special. Local stereo shop and ten bucks later I was good to go.

Some might say that grounding at one point might be better cause in theory a singualr ground point would allow for better flow, some might argue the opposite. On our cars the difference is so minimal that it wouldn't make a difference either way. Point to point was easier for me to do, plus I don't likt the idea of having too many grounds at one spot. Mainly due to getting a bad connection. Which is the reason why most universal one point ground system use the disc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.