Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
WORD IS BOND!!
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just bought a used 04 xB. when i was test driving i didnt catch a grinding noise coming from the transmission. my girlfriends dad drove it back and he didnt think anything of it. when we got it back into town i noticed it first thing.

on a scale of 1 to 10 id say its a 3. it only makes the noise when im in gear. when i have the clutch to the floor the noise goes away. what could it be? :confused:

·
Kazoku
364 Posts
You will get TOB noise until you press the clutch in and it will go away. I'm sure as the TOB gets worse the noise will also be heard with the pedal depressed also.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it goes away when you push the clutch in your most likely looking at a bad throwout bearing. how many miles is on it?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
stop guessing. i had pretty much same problem with my 94 del sol. according to forums and manuals - it was throwout bearing, but when i took it to local mechanic - they told me it was trasmission. take your car to mechanic - some if not all of them should detect problem for free, or small fee.

·
WORD IS BOND!!
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i actually took it into a shop and the jokers told me nothing. just gave me a price $1150- $1850. no explanation. i talked to the guy that drove my car and he said it could be a bearing or it could need a rebuild wtff? i onno if its the TOB i could do it myself. i just dont want to take it in for a rebuild if it doesnt need one so im not out close to 2k

·
Kazoku
364 Posts
You can find used transmissions on the interwebz for 600-800 all day long so if it is the tranny that's bad, just replace it. I've seen some with as little as 4,000 miles on rear end totaled xB's

Personally I believe it's the TOB

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
WORD IS BOND!!
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bought it private party, got it for 6k after taxes with 94k miles on it. overall its in good shape. but i had been lookin into xBs fer a whilee, theyre badass lil sport wagons. i was driving an 87 crx si with 230k and sold it for 1k. but the whole reason for selling it was to get something that was ready for a ride yoo kno? lol all this has me thinkin i should have just kept that lil crx

·
WORD IS BOND!!
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah good call danee. im looking into it. used trannys are hella cheap on ebay with a 6 month warranty?? noicee.. average is about $400 for a used tranny with 60-90k miles. not too shabby and its gona be a hell of a lot less than just replacing the IPS bearing. thnx broo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts