Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a harness bar or a roll cage and I was curious about other people's experiences with both pieces. Let me know what's good and/or bad...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know of a few that are being made but I was hoping to get feedback from people who already have them. I need a real FUNCTIONAL setup. I would be attaching 4 point harnesses to this bar or cage and would be relying on them to save my life in an accident...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
PeruzziScion said:
I know of a few that are being made but I was hoping to get feedback from people who already have them. I need a real FUNCTIONAL setup. I would be attaching 4 point harnesses to this bar or cage and would be relying on them to save my life in an accident...
are you planning on using this for the street for strictly for track use? full roll cages or any pipes/bars that are close to your head w/o a helmet is potentially very dangerous, especially on rollovers. this is why it's not recommended for use on the street. remember that the helmet should also be for auto use and not motorcycle use (multiple impact for auto vs. single impact for motorcycle). also, make sure that the bar you're connecting to isn't higher then the harness slots on the seat (seats w/o proper harness slots are also potentially dangerous).

just something to think about...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan to use either the cage or the bar for both everyday driving and track use. I realize the dangers of both setups from a safety standpoint. The racing seats I have are Corbeau A4s so Im also not worried about the holes being in the right spot. I am worried about the cage or bar not being at the right height because of poor R&D or manufacturing. I can get a FirmWareWorx roll cage right now for a crazy price. I have no interest in MotorFX's harness bar, Ive heard its garbage. That M1 bar looks pretty sweet....

Thanks for the help guys and gals... ...keep the feedback coming!

·
Registered
67 Posts
PeruzziScion said:
I plan to use either the cage or the bar for both everyday driving and track use. I realize the dangers of both setups from a safety standpoint. The racing seats I have are Corbeau A4s so Im also not worried about the holes being in the right spot. I am worried about the cage or bar not being at the right height because of poor R&D or manufacturing. I can get a FirmWareWorx roll cage right now for a crazy price. I have no interest in MotorFX's harness bar, Ive heard its garbage. That M1 bar looks pretty sweet....

Thanks for the help guys and gals... ...keep the feedback coming!
sorry but IMO, the firmware cage looks like garbage too (both performance wise and aesthetic wise). as someone else mentioned before in another thread, the cage bend(s) design will buckle in an event of a crash. this is also the downfall, IMO, that makes the cage look kind of ugly. just my .2 cents.

not sure if there are any reputable shops or fabricators in your area that can build you a custom cage or roll bar but it'd definitely be something to look into.

*flame suit on*

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Joe please be safe on this stuff. Really, if you wanna do a SAFE and functional roll cage, get someone to make you a custom one. The firmware is an asthetically challenged and even more so structurally challenged piece. I think it would be just one more obstruction to hurt you if you do roll.

I would say the motorfx would be nice, but its just a small harness bar and not really a cage to protect at all. Therefore, I dont really see the functionality since the roof is still 2-3 feet higher. Your head will be higher than the bar, so if ya roll, you're bum fudged!

If your gonna do it legit, get it custom by a race shop near ya. Any good shop should be able to make it for ya without too much hassle. Ive been tryin to stay off the forums, but I thought I really should comment on this.
I hope this helps. Any questions man, dont be afraid to PM me.

scotty

·
Registered
67 Posts
ScionScotty said:
Joe please be safe on this stuff. Really, if you wanna do a SAFE and functional roll cage, get someone to make you a custom one. The firmware is an asthetically challenged and even more so structurally challenged piece. I think it would be just one more obstruction to hurt you if you do roll.

I would say the motorfx would be nice, but its just a small harness bar and not really a cage to protect at all. Therefore, I dont really see the functionality since the roof is still 2-3 feet higher. Your head will be higher than the bar, so if ya roll, you're bum fudged!

If your gonna do it legit, get it custom by a race shop near ya. Any good shop should be able to make it for ya without too much hassle. Ive been tryin to stay off the forums, but I thought I really should comment on this.
I hope this helps. Any questions man, dont be afraid to PM me.

scotty
I think for the most part the harness bar's main purpose is to allow you to utilize a racing harness mounting at a safe angle and width apart, with very minimal, if any at all addition of structual rigidity or overall rollover/impact safety. which btw, a roll bar or rollcage would provide.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be inquiring at a local shop about a custom cage and also a custom harness bar. I think its the best way to go. I have very little faith in anything available right now through order....

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
hey bboxed in . motorcycle helmets are not single impact. it's qll about how much the foam becomes deformed. same with auto helmets. and a SNELL approved elmet is horrendous. talk about way too many g's being transferred to te head. i'll take less rather than more. k thanx.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hotbox05 said:
hey bboxed in . motorcycle helmets are not single impact. it's qll about how much the foam becomes deformed. same with auto helmets. and a SNELL approved elmet is horrendous. talk about way too many g's being transferred to te head. i'll take less rather than more. k thanx.
main point i'm trying to get across is get the right equipment that's best suited for what he plans to do. there's no sense in asking for, buying and running a purposely functional cage or roll bar without getting the proper equipment to match or cheaping out on it. simple as that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.