Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Long but good video, what a piece. For the cost of that car I would've drove it till it blew up too, just to prove it was crap.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
you know the problem is now, that the american guys working in the plant arent getting paid enough to feed a wife and 2.5 kids so they dont give a damn anymore about their jobs. welcome to the real american dream where we can only strive to survive in a society that will let us be middle-ish working class at best without a helping hand from someone you know or winning the lottery. the working man being aplauded for actually working anymore. its hard to get up and go to work every day and make it in this world and american working people are feeling the brunt of that crap. anywaY enough of that...

its a cool video.

Reactions: screwbag

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
yea, i might have opted for an s2000 and gotten some aftermarket stuff, maybe a NSX. but im not a big honda fan. Personally for that price i would have gotten the Z06.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You mean people still buy Cadillacs? LMAO He should have known better.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Upper middle class do...

...but he wouldn't know anything about that would he.

:eek: Oh no he didn't!!!:eek:

JJ
I'll put my avalon up against any cadillac ever built in terms of quality and craftsmanship ANYDAY. And yes, I am upper middle class. I just dont piss my money away on junk cars. Go back to SL.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'll put my avalon up against any cadillac ever built in terms of quality and craftsmanship ANYDAY. And yes, I am upper middle class. I just dont piss my money away on junk cars. Go back to SL.
Quality and build don't matter.

Name tags do.

BTW WTF is SL?

...and don't get so damn offended, damn people. Upper middle class people are basically the only people who buy Caddy anyway. If you have more than you buy Jag etc, if you have less than you buy Nissan.

Sheesh people are way to touchy these days, it's like a bunch of women on their period in here.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
...and don't get so damn offended, damn people. Upper middle class people are basically the only people who buy Caddy anyway.
lowriders buy caddy also.

Even though Snoop Dogg is crazy rich, you have to give props to his one off "Snoop Deville"......heheheh...classic!

·
Registered
367 Posts
FYI - White Amerikan guy talkin' here....

Down with this "Buy American" pride. I buy the best for my money. So do a lot of others, which explains the impending demise of Ford. Maybe if they focused a bit more something besides the SUV, they might have made ot to see 2010.

It is evolution of the business world.

What USA Auto-makers need to do in order to compete with Honda/Mazda/Nissan/Toyota?

The most important thing is to make a quality (read:reliable) product, which arguably has not been happening since 1974. Not to mention the horrible styling as well.

But most importantly, the US companies must not dismiss the importance of a "greener" car (not, auto manufacturing will never be totally green). Toyota gets the thumbs up for their efforts to reduce emissions from smokestacks as well as tailpipes. In the past 15 years, Toyota has cut its carbon-dioxide emissions in Japan to 1.78 million tons annually, from 2.12 million tons, while globally, C02 emissions per car produced are down 15% since 2002.

Toyota is way ahead of the targets established in the Kyoto Protocol. The treaty, which was agreed to in 1997 but didnt come into effect until 2005, calls for Japan and most other developed countries to cut emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases by an average of 6% from 1990 levels by 2012. In addition, Tokyo has told companies that they must reduce their emissions by 8.6% from 1990 levels.

How does Toyota manage do this? One explanation is better efficiency. By replacing multiple production lines with single lines capable of producing different vehicles, Toyota has decreased energy usage by as much as 40%. Similarly, a welding system that Toyota began rolling out to plants globally in 2003 helped speed up production, cut costs, and also led to a 50% reduction in C02 emissions by using less electricity.

That has been helped by Toyota's bumper profits of $10 billion for the year to March -- money that has been poured into investment in newer, cleaner factories

That puts Toyota way ahead of the targets established in the Kyoto Protocol while the US companies continue to delay and deflect the real threat of global warming and laugh off the need for real change.

·
Registered
165 Posts
FYI - White Amerikan guy talkin' here....

Down with this "Buy American" pride. I buy the best for my money. So do a lot of others, which explains the impending demise of Ford. Maybe if they focused a bit more something besides the SUV, they might have made ot to see 2010.

It is evolution of the business world.

What USA Auto-makers need to do in order to compete with Honda/Mazda/Nissan/Toyota?

The most important thing is to make a quality (read:reliable) product, which arguably has not been happening since 1974. Not to mention the horrible styling as well.

But most importantly, the US companies must not dismiss the importance of a "greener" car (not, auto manufacturing will never be totally green). Toyota gets the thumbs up for their efforts to reduce emissions from smokestacks as well as tailpipes. In the past 15 years, Toyota has cut its carbon-dioxide emissions in Japan to 1.78 million tons annually, from 2.12 million tons, while globally, C02 emissions per car produced are down 15% since 2002.

Toyota is way ahead of the targets established in the Kyoto Protocol. The treaty, which was agreed to in 1997 but didnt come into effect until 2005, calls for Japan and most other developed countries to cut emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases by an average of 6% from 1990 levels by 2012. In addition, Tokyo has told companies that they must reduce their emissions by 8.6% from 1990 levels.

How does Toyota manage do this? One explanation is better efficiency. By replacing multiple production lines with single lines capable of producing different vehicles, Toyota has decreased energy usage by as much as 40%. Similarly, a welding system that Toyota began rolling out to plants globally in 2003 helped speed up production, cut costs, and also led to a 50% reduction in C02 emissions by using less electricity.

That has been helped by Toyota's bumper profits of $10 billion for the year to March -- money that has been poured into investment in newer, cleaner factories

That puts Toyota way ahead of the targets established in the Kyoto Protocol while the US companies continue to delay and deflect the real threat of global warming and laugh off the need for real change.
*rolling eyes*

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Glance.aspx?year=1999&make=Toyota&model=Celica&trimid=-1

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Glance.aspx?year=1999&make=Chevrolet&model=Camaro&trimid=-1

Pay attention to the original MSRP, that and the ABS being optional on the Celica despite it being standard on the Z28.

Then I'll mention posi-trac being standard on the Z28 as well. The part where it mentions power being optional on the Z28, it's incorrect power everything on the Z28 (minus passenger seat). Plus traction control is optional and it can be turned off (unlike some other V8's out there).

This is the part where they start mentioning build quality and how the Celica's interior must be equilvalent to a Porshe's.

If you want emissions the Camaro's pollution is just as clean as the Celica's though it does produce more carbon when you mash the throttle.

Also notice the warranty's.

If you want engine performance notice the V6 Camaro puts out 70 more hp, is loaded into a heavier car yet still has similiar mileage.

After owning my 1999 Z28 for over 96k miles I had to get new window motors. Mostly city miles and a lot of seriously hardcore driving. (though the front shocks were tough to replace)

Closest to the V6's MSRP I could find was the Corolla LE.

Toyota barely hires employees unlike the domestic companies, who had to lay off tens of thousands to compete. Meaning less middle class jobs. Plus Toyota's retirement package and health care package, compared to the domestics, is Spartan at best.

Meaning that automating their production and giving their few employees singnificantly less effective pay they can be significantly more productive.

As for why they made all those trucks and SUV's, nobody was buying cars. So they made what the public wanted, then got nailed when fuel prices doubled.

Nothing wrong with domestics and nothing wrong with foreign.

Now to sit back and let you pick apart every single little tiny thing I typed down at your leisure...:rolleyes:

If it helps compare the Echo to the Aveo, just try to stay away from the "performance" Honda's though have horrible fuel consumption compared to power plant performance. They show "high" hp but at the shown RPMs it is useless.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
whoo its a domestic vs import thread. you both have very true and usefull information that pertains to each post. your both right. uhm... thanks. i dont think its its a this vs that, that its going to turn into. people arent open minded enough to see both manufactures values these days.

at the bottom line, the xb was the most practicle for me for a number of reasons
Where i live. [ac/heating standard]
where i drive [great fuel economy]
Budget [low base price]
Features [loaded. standard.]
Maintenance [free oil changes / coverage]
Warranty. [i got 7yr 75k mi]

It was had to find any other vehicles that could compete with that in my region. I tried to max my bang for my buck and i think Toyota has a pretty good handle on that. but the nitty gritty comes down to nit picking between companys for like 5 less MPG for 10 more HP. there are allot of comperable cars from all walks of manufactures.

and not to mention the modification process, and ease. with parts readily available. and i just like the styling. i buy what i like.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
whoo its a domestic vs import thread. you both have very true and usefull information that pertains to each post. your both right. uhm... thanks. i dont think its its a this vs that, that its going to turn into. people arent open minded enough to see both manufactures values these days.

at the bottom line, the xb was the most practicle for me for a number of reasons
Where i live. [ac/heating standard]
where i drive [great fuel economy]
Budget [low base price]
Features [loaded. standard.]
Maintenance [free oil changes / coverage]
Warranty. [i got 7yr 75k mi]

It was had to find any other vehicles that could compete with that in my region. I tried to max my bang for my buck and i think Toyota has a pretty good handle on that. but the nitty gritty comes down to nit picking between companys for like 5 less MPG for 10 more HP. there are allot of comperable cars from all walks of manufactures.

and not to mention the modification process, and ease. with parts readily available. and i just like the styling. i buy what i like.

Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing. Look! good points for the domestics, good points for the foreign makers! Whoo! Alrighty! Excellent stuff!!

I too purchased for all those reasons. You simply can't find a domestic, at least here in the midwest, that comes with A/C as a standard feature; they usually want to tack on another grand just for A/C. I won't have that. After I 'built' my Aveo (cant believe i wanted that piece) I actually came out to around 18k because I needed all the 'options' to get what came standard on a Scion.

Things known as options on most domestic cars around here (midwest): A/C, rear defroster, power junk like windows, tilt wheel, ABS.....etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.