Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since I've been on this forum, been busy. But my wife finally is agreeing with me about doing something about my xB to get it running properly. As a reminder, I have the "ghetto" turbo running about 146hp. The problem is, I've been pulling my EFI fuse every time I park which is annoying and embarrasing. A couple days ago was the last straw for me, when I was almost home, my car was stuttering like crazy after every stop sign while trying to accelerate. Even with pulling the EFI fuse, the ECU adapts pretty quickly (ie. long drives) and messes with the fuel delivery. So hopefully next week I will install the following:

-Haltech E8 (was going to go with E-manage Ultimate but in the long term the stand alone ECU sounds like it will work better though more expensive)

-Return fuel line with Aeromotive fuel regulator

-Perrin fuel rail

-Retune

I will at least do the above which will cost me $2900. Then if possible I'll also get either the Spec or Clutch Master clutch, then I should be set. And hopefully be able to visit the track to see what I can do. After this is done, I'm sure I won't have to pull the EFI fuse anymore! :D

I'll keep you guys up-to-date.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Huh, didn't know you were having to pull that fuse on every drive. That really sucks.

Yeah, if you're keeping the turbo then DEFINITELY do the mods you're talking about. It's no fun having a new or nearly new car that refuses to run smoothly.

Good Luck!

-Alex

·
Registered
131 Posts
with that setup you should be ok...are you still running stock injectors by any chance? I never had to pull my EFI fuse that much ever...I did it once every few days. I know why your car is driving so crappy...its cause your maxing out your MAF volt signal, you might wanna think about trying out a celica MAF sensor. I never got the chance to do it on my setup, but that was my next step, either that or slightly enlarge the diameter of the piping on the intake side for the MAF adapter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Will these new mods make it "unghetto"?
Absolutely not, I pride myself in my ghetto setup! Heheh!

Huh, didn't know you were having to pull that fuse on every drive. That really sucks.
Yeah it does, if I didn't do that, my car would not even start up smoothly, the engine would keep dying unless I gun the engine for awhile, until it got warmed up.

are you still running stock injectors by any chance?...I know why your car is driving so crappy...its cause your maxing out your MAF volt signal,
I do have upgraded injectors, they are 303cc/28.8 lb injectors. I haven't thought about the MAF though, I'll be sure to mention it to the guys that are going to be doing the upgrades for me to see what their take on it is. Thanks for that though! BTW, is this the Vito that sold me the aeromotive fpr? I'm going to finally install that!

But man if I put this much money into it, it better run well or I'll be really mad and I'll probably go from being preacherboy to devilboy. :eek:

·
Registered
131 Posts
yup im the Vito you bought the FPR from:cool:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks again for the good price you gave me on that!

btw, what are you using for a fuel controller? emanage?

·
Registered
131 Posts
no problem on the deal bro. I used the camcon which was junk imo. I have never heard of anyone useing the haltech on the 1nz but that would be sweet once its done

·
Registered
131 Posts
unichip with 2 different fuel maps

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I put $2000 down and they are ordering some parts. Once they get it, they said it would take about a week to get everything installed and tuned properly. Hopefully I won't have to add anymore things, we'll see about the Celica MAF. Included below is the invoice. I also will have them install for me the Clutch Master Stage 3! After this, I will have to find a track that is closeby so I can see what my car can do. :cool:

E6X SHORT KIT SHORT HARNESS 1,025.00T
3 BARMAP749 112.00T
AIR TEMP CONNECTOR AND PINS 6.69T
COOLANT TEMP CONNECTOR AND PINS 6.69T
COOLANT TEMP 3/8 NPT PIPE 29.00T
AIR TEMP SENSOR 29.00T
LINES AND FITTINGS FOR REGULATOR 250.00T
SCION xA/xB FUEL RAIL KIT 140.00T
SCION xA/xB '03-'04 FX300 CLUTCH 389.45T
RETURN LINE 200.00T
transmission fluid 300 75w90 58.50T
TURN FLYWHEEL 50.00T
MOBILE ONE OIL 30.00T
OIL FILTER 6.00T
SHOP SUPPLIES 200.00T
Sale Price/ Discount -500.00
Shop Labor 1,600.00
Payment -2,000.00
8.25% Tax 167.67
-------------------------------------------
Total Balance $1,800.00

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
holy **** that a crap load of money.. wish i had that kind of money to spend
my bank account balance $75.36
Oh yeah, all I can say is, there goes my tax return. After I do this, I would have spent about $18,000 including the cost of the car, I know you can get other cars for that price, but I like my xB, I think it's a cool little car, obviously you all know what I'm talking about. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update, after my last post, it took me awhile before I was actually able to drop off my car. My car has now been at the shop for about a couple weeks but it should be done by next week. I got this reply from the shop that is doing it:

We have the Fuel system done, the clutch done, and Albert is finishing
the wiring on the Haltech!
I'm definitely excited about how things will turn out!

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
thats good to hear. hope everything goes okay. with all the new mods do you think you'll be even faster or just running smoother?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted it to be smoother for now, I'm more concerned about reliability so I don't want to use too much boost that might shorten the life of the engine components. But definitely with the added mods I should be able to get more power if I wanted.

·
Banned
528 Posts
What I found with my turbo set up was to pay upfront a TON of money and get it done the right way. You can find a company to install a turbo for a couple hundred bucks but if you pay around and extra 2,900 on top of the cost of turbo you will get a efficient, smooth running, turbo that will last as long as you want!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I'm counting on mussbus. I want to be able to push my car without having to worry about blowing a cylinder or pulling the EFI fuse every other day! For me, the 7-8psi I'm running is good enough and gives me the acceleration I need for those short onramps plus freaking out some of the fixed up civics. :cool:

·
Banned
528 Posts
Have to say the look on that supercharged TRD TC was a beautiful one and worth all the money and time invested in the turbo!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, and actually a lot of the turbo setups I've seen looked really nice. Sometimes I wish I could have started from scratch with a non f/i xB, then I could have had a pretty setup too. Oh well!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.