Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this on the street on my way back from lunch. I work in the Picture Vehicle business (fabricating custom vehicles/props for Film and TV) and I've never heard of this build - so who knows if George Barris's company was even involved in the build.......But here it is, sitting on the street (Vineland and Magnolia - Los Angeless)

The interior was stock, other than a 5-point harness for the driver, and an eloborate chute-deployment system - obviously fake/for on-camera use only.

Man, you never know what you're going to see on the streets in Hollywood...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it doesn't have anything other than the obvious. $25K comes from what we in the film industry call, "The Idiot Markup".

There are very real reasons that movie tickets cost $14.00 now. :)

**** like this.......well, it's a perfect example. You should see what we build for studios - you'd freak out at the price tags...

·
bB Squad
704 Posts
FrankenScion said:
Thats what I understood too. I just didn't see how they spent 25K on it.
That's probably just what G. Barris's rate was to do the work.

He probably paid under $10k and pocketed the rest. Not bad for a weekend's work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
hmmmm...I guess $13,500 best offer would,nt be so bad if the ... PARACHUTE?... comes off with out any damage,you like the wheels,and the gold on the lip kit. It kinda looks like the grille is gold too.? With the right wheels,..not those.., the gold lip could work if that's what you're going for. I'd rather start fresh George Barris or not! He's done some awesome work and even though he's getting up there in age I'd expect more. Any idea what show/movie this is for? DOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH, I just noticed the American Express commercial part of the ad! ...lol.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
That's an expensive parachute!

·
Registered
501 Posts
While I was going to law school here in Texas, I built sets for films, worked on greens crews, worked as a scenic painter and did grip work on films here, so I know what you mean about the industry. It's weird.

I still have a large statue of Booker T. Washington in my backyard from those days........

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
That George Barris guy is a strange character. He tried to pick up my husband's mother! Well, that's not the strange part. :p It was fun seeing all his cars. But he actually did give all of us the creeps. lol

I wanna see the commercial!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.