Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Modified my Gen1 xB’s serpentine belt tensioner by combining it with a 2013 Scion xD tensioner. This mod can be made without removing the xB's, as no alteration is needed to it. I took it off for taking pictures. The xD's is comprised of three Scion parts and one additional bolt.

16385-37010 - Belt Adjusting Slider - $2.66
90105-08433 - Flange Bolt - $1.46
16381-37010 - Belt Adjusting Bar - $12.19
Metric bolt with serrated flange, full thread, 8M x 1.25 x 20mm - $1.08
Total - $17.39

Tools used were a hacksaw, a flat peen hammer, and a drill with a 5/16th bit. Total time was about forty minutes.
1a.jpg

Bolted the two bars together to make guide marks. A forty-degree diagonal line was drawn where the xB bar traversed the xD bar. A pilot mark was made on the xD bar using a center punch through the xB’s threaded nut.
2a.jpg

A ½” long line was drawn at the top lip of the xD bar approximately one inch from the left end. Used a hacksaw to cut off the xD’s threaded nut segment and to cut the half inch line.
3a.jpg

The 1" long section was flattened to provide more contact area where a bolt fastens the two adjuster bars. A 5/16th inch hole was drilled where the pilot mark was on the xD bar.
4a.JPG

Used an 8Mx1.25x20mm full thread serrated flange bolt to fasten the xD bar to the xB bar.
5a.JPG

The xD bar adds about ¼ inch thickness so I replaced the alternator’s top bolt with an 8Mx1.25x30mm full thread serrated flange bolt. This longer bolt uses all the alternator’s housing threads. Tension for the serpentine belt is set by loosening the two alternator bolts, positioning the long adjuster bolt, and tightening the two bolts.
6a.JPG

·
Registered
643 Posts
This is to have tensioning bolt to precisely and nicely set belt tension instead of prying on alternator with something long to get belt tight all unpreciselike right?

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir. Makes it easy to adjust and to lock in when the deflection gauge shows within tension range. Scion specifies the Gen 1 xB range as 121 LBF to 143 LBF when installing and adjusting a new belt; and 55 LBF to 88 LBF when adjusting an used belt. Parts places often have that gauge in their loaner program.

wagonbldr also made a great tensioner for the Gen 1; check his posting in DIY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Modified my Gen1 xB’s serpentine belt tensioner by combining it with a 2013 Scion xD tensioner. This mod can be made without removing the xB's, as no alteration is needed to it. I took it off for taking pictures. The xD's is comprised of three Scion parts and one additional bolt.

16385-37010 - Belt Adjusting Slider - $2.66
90105-08433 - Flange Bolt - $1.46
16381-37010 - Belt Adjusting Bar - $12.19
Metric bolt with serrated flange, full thread, 8M x 1.25 x 20mm - $1.08
Total - $17.39

Tools used were a hacksaw, a flat peen hammer, and a drill with a 5/16th bit. Total time was about forty minutes.
View attachment 79388
Bolted the two bars together to make guide marks. A forty-degree diagonal line was drawn where the xB bar traversed the xD bar. A pilot mark was made on the xD bar using a center punch through the xB’s threaded nut.
View attachment 79389
A ½” long line was drawn at the top lip of the xD bar approximately one inch from the left end. Used a hacksaw to cut off the xD’s threaded nut segment and to cut the half inch line.
View attachment 79390
The 1" long section was flattened to provide more contact area where a bolt fastens the two adjuster bars. A 5/16th inch hole was drilled where the pilot mark was on the xD bar.
View attachment 79391
Used an 8Mx1.25x20mm full thread serrated flange bolt to fasten the xD bar to the xB bar.
View attachment 79392
The xD bar adds about ¼ inch thickness so I replaced the alternator’s top bolt with an 8Mx1.25x30mm full thread serrated flange bolt. This longer bolt uses all the alternator’s housing threads. Tension for the serpentine belt is set by loosening the two alternator bolts, positioning the long adjuster bolt, and tightening the two bolts.
View attachment 79393
Great job on building the adjuster AND presenting here so clearly. I am definitely going to build one for my '06. Thank you for sharing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts