Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bad Choice McGee
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what it takes to get a few gauges installed at the A-Pillar. Right now I want coolant temp, oil pressure, and a suggestion for a third (if need be). I also want to know if they can easily be installed or if there would be some extra effort involved in getting everything working right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
as far as installation goes I have not done this on an xB, but no matter the pricipals are the same. Start under the hood you'll need to find the sources for both your temp sensor and oil pressure ( somebody more familiar with these particulars of our cars would be great here ) then locate or create a hole for the gauges sensors to pass thorugh. find a swtiched 12v source and a ground and wire the gauges accoringly then install the gauges onto the pillar. with all of that said I feel like a scangauge would be a better choice. I realize that the cost is higher and that the may not be 100% accurate. however, for those who have had an oil line leak into the interior ( which happens easily ) this alternative may be more attractive plus unless your planning on purchasing an inexpensive set of gauges ( which may or may not be as accurate ) you could easily spend twice the ammount and still not have the versitility of one scan gauge. As for a third gauge should you decide to run gauges I'd probably go with a standard amp/volt meter.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I did my temp gauge and A/F ratio gauge myself, it was a PITA. Wiring was hell and I had to order a few extra parts to make things work. I'm not a slouch but it was definately harder then doing the rear swaybar, the springs the shocks and struts, and the exhaust. The A/F ratio meter I didn't even need, but I like blinking lights and I ended up drilling into the exhaust to put a third o2 sensor. For most it's a little much for something that's not needed but I said what the hell.

Actually the temp sensor was pretty easy minus trying to figure out how to power the backlight. I ended up wiring into the cigarette lighter. Honestly depending on the gauge type and how mechanically inclined you are it can be a simple job or your worse nightmare. Soon I'm going to be doing a voltameter, I think. Depends on whether I upgrade the audio in my car or not. Anyhow, if you got some questions I might be able to help a little.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You'll need one of these for your water temp if you chose to install one.

I ran all the wiring behind the pillar

The finished product

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.