Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I don't know if this is the right section to put this post, but today when I filled up and did my mpg calculation, I got 31mpg! It's weird because I usually get 23-24 mpg and that's driving well. This last tank, I used the turbo more than usual and I had my car ridden in more than usual so you would think it would be lower than average.

Here are two new things I've done:
1. I filled up with a different brand of gas, I usually use Costco's Super Unleaded but I needed gas badly so went to a regular gas station.

2. I pulled out my efi fuse a bunch of times, ever since I learned this, I've been doing it every time I park my car at home and then plugging it back in the next day when I have to go out. (This actually solved my problem of super rough idle and dying when I cold start the car, plus the boost doesn't konk out on me.)

Of course, it could have been human error and I could have swapped the A and the B mileage. I can't remember...right now it is definitely on "A" so I'll have to see what happens with the mileage next time. If I can keep the mileage that high with the turbo, that would sure be nice! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thats awesome! I wondered if these cars would get better mileage if they had more power? I know it takes more fuel to make more power, but there is a point in there that would say that more power would make it easier on the motor to get the car rolling and keep it rolling. Kind of like dropping 200-300 LBS is equal to 10-20 HP (in theory anyway) (I'm just using these figures for an example...don't flame me!).

Mine seems like it is extremely low on power and I wonder if it is actually making me give it more gas to keep it moving. My XRS ALWAYS got 37-38 HWY which is 5-6 over what the EPA said it would get...The xB is another story as you already know. My Mustang...same thing. It had 180,000 miles and still got a respectable 28 MPG at times! Not bad for a GT w/t-tops and loaded down! I really think more power, if done right, will increase fuel mileage.

BTW...I wonder if you could put in an inline toggle switch to eliminate the fuse pulling everyday? It would save some time at least!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Do you have the gas tank fillup problem? Maybe you weren't filling it up all the way before and you're calculations are off. Maybe this new gas station doesn't give you the early click problem.

For me, diffferent gas stations cause it to click early. I almost always get 32mpg, so I calculate approx. how many gallons it should take to fill up, then I know if it clicks early.

(BTW, I get gas at Costco, Arco, 76, or sometimes Cheveron and I never notice a difference in performance or mpg)

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
preacherboy said:
I usually use Costco's Super Unleaded
Costco uses Arco gas wich is about the cheapest watered down crap you can buy. Like Admin (is it Tony?) said it is usually better to stick with big brands, I prefer Chevron or Shell.

·
Registered
142 Posts
In my area, I was told that Shell is crap. The dealer even told me not to go there...but I've been learning that they don't know everything :) I like sunoco because they have 94 octane...Great for my XRS! Damn I miss that car...:(

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have the gas tank fillup problem? Maybe you weren't filling it up all the way before and you're calculations are off. Maybe this new gas station doesn't give you the early click problem.
That could be it too. At Costco, when it clicks off I usually do about 5 more clicks before quiting. The gas station I went to actually overflowed a little gas which got me a little mad. I did verify that I was using the right amount of miles because I remembered where I went and I calculated the distances with google maps. Basically I traveled approximately 225 miles and when I went to fill up the tank tonight I put in 7.149 gallons (using the same 5 clicks) which equates to 31.5 mpg. If I was off by 2 gallons that would bring me to my usual average, but I don't think I can be off by that much.

I'll have to just try again with this new tank of gas. I'm going to keep up my unplugging of the EFI fuse...and dirtyrice, I wonder if there is a way to make a switch too...but I heard after I get the emanage to replace my SFC, I shouldn't need to do that. Either way, it only takes me less than 30 seconds and I'm ready to go, so I may just do it that way for now. (Of course, I look like an idiot doing that every time! :eek: )

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Costco uses Arco gas wich is about the cheapest watered down crap you can buy.
Hmmm...if I get poor results again (the fuel gauge being nearly empty at around 200 miles), I will try the gas station brand that I filled up with previously and see what happens. I'll let you guys know! BTW, one thing I did already notice though with the costco gas is that my car is backfiring more frequently especially when I downshift to decelerate.

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
stankubrick said:
I mean how do you know it's the cheapest watere down crap you can buy?
Well, in my personal experiance, I used to use Arco all the time because around here they are always about 5 to 10 cents cheaper than everywhere else. Then I started to notice that whenever I had to buy gas at one of the big brand stations my cars would run so much better. I have also heard that the reason it is so much cheaper is that they water it down, more volume / less fuel.

I believe that Thrifty and USA also get their gas from Arco as well. At least I know I've seen the Arco trucks at Thrifty.

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
haha, i had that experience where the mpg suddenly went up. i got 32mpg and i was even driving 90mph on the freeway too!

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
its all stock, except for the spoiler. i think the reason why i got that high of a mpg is because i had been on the freeway for the whole day...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've done the whole USA/ Thrifty gas vs Chevron/Shell/76 test. I'd have to say I get better mileage and performance when I use either Chevron or 76. I'm in SoCal, so they have a butt load of restrictions on the gas. USA/Thrifty/ARCO gas beats my engine up and makes it idle so f'n rough. I have since stopped going to the crap ones and spent the extra 3 cents a gal for the better results. I'm not f/i but I do have exhaust and SRI so.........:cool:

·
Registered
501 Posts
No matter what I do, or where I drive, I get 29 or 30 mpg. Since I've been driving a 1977 Ford F100 for the last five years, it seems like heaven to me!

·
Registered
58 Posts
We may be nearing the time when they start phasing out the winter blend gas in some areas. That could be one factor.

Personally, i don't buy the cheap gas theory

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.