Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I Just Filled Up For The First Time. 25 Mpg. This Seems Pretty Low To Me. I Have The A/t. Does This Get Any Better As Time Goes On? Any Input Would Be Helpful.

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
on my first fill up at the gas station, i got 29mpg. the worst mileage i got was 25mpg, that was because i went to the Scion drag racing event. the best i gotten was 32mpg, that was 75% driving on the freeway. everyday when i am only driving on the streets, i always get 28mph. maybe try not to jack rabbit start and dont let your rpm pass 3k?

·
Registered
354 Posts
how many miles you have.. First few tanks may not be that good. but after about 500 to 1000 miles should get better.. my first couple of tanks were about 27mpg but now i average about 29-32 depending on how i drive.. and thats a mixture city highway..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Resolve said:
... First few tanks may not be that good. but after about 500 to 1000 miles should get better..
I sure hope your correct!

I filled my new 2006 Salsa Red for the first time today and got 32.9 mpg.:D

I know that I don't have the filling routine standardized with only one fill up but even with that known possible error I'm VERY HAPPY.

The first tank was almost all city driving, the current tank will probably be closer to 50% city - I'm looking forward to that number in 2-3 weeks.

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
my milage changes very drastically all based on where I go. I have to fill up at least once a week (I drive at least 45 miles a day for work) and if I *just* drive the freeway to and from work, then I average 29-30mpg but if I drive up to visit family any time during that week, which is at least another 20-30 miles and it's all up steep hills I get maybe 26-27. With a little motor like that it all depends on driving habits and where it is you're driving to

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
OK I just have one hing to say about this issue. BURN IN HELL EPA!!!!!!!!!! That really upsets me because here I bought the car for the fuel economy factor. I feel bad for the people that have put tehir money down for those Prius *cough* crap *cough*. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks For The Input. I Know That With My 05 Chevy Equinox Gas Mileage Can Vary Up To 5 Mpg Depending Where I Fill It At. Any Body Have Any Input On The Best Gas For The Box?

·
Registered
142 Posts
My mileage has dropped 10 MPG since October. I am at a loss as I have posted in other forums and nobody can give a straight out answer other than winter fuels and driving habits. I filled up yesterday and am still at 21 MPG. I was getting over 30 MPG before Oct. I am going to go by the dealer (AGAIN) tomorrow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i started with my first tank getting 25 mpg now im getting 30. i fill up every 3-4 days, ya i drive a shiz load. 50+ a day to work, then my gf has basketball games, i drive down to see some friends who live 10 miles south of me generally after work or sumthing, so im averageing 75+ miles a day... grr.... maybe i should go back to a crappy car when i didnt drive as much lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Resolve said:
how many miles you have.. First few tanks may not be that good. but after about 500 to 1000 miles should get better.. my first couple of tanks were about 27mpg but now i average about 29-32 depending on how i drive.. and thats a mixture city highway..
the first tank i got about 32 MPG...that was the highest i ever got...had my car since september

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I get around 25 miles a gallon, But it is stop and go. A couple miles at a time. Took me a year to hit the 8500 mile mark. I drive 0.3 miles to work.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree. We have two 05 xBs about 6 months apart with 5 speed manual trannys. Mileage was disappointing until about 1,000 miles. We tend to drive close to or just a bit over the 55 MPH limit and both my wife and I have been averaging between 33 and 35+ per tank full.

On average, for every 5 MPH over 55 you drive, you lose about 10% of your mileage on most cars. My best was on a 500 or so mile trip in upstate New York where I averaged 39 MPH crusing mostly at about 65 - No kidding.

Hint -With a 5 speed I try to coast downhill as much as possible and it does significantly add to your MPG or at least make up for the extra fuel you burn on the uphill climbs.

Resolve said:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Padanky said:
I drive 0.3 miles to work.
Why not just Walk to work?

I have had my XB for 4 months now and put about 10K miles on it already, I commute to work so its mostly highway. My mileage has been at about 24-25 MPG city highway mix (more HWY)...

One Icy day I was driving from Minneapolis to Des Moines (about 200 miles) but becasue of the ice I was driving 55MPH instead of 75-80 which is what i normally go and that was my only tank that got over 30MPG it came in at 32.4 - the most of the tank was burned at constant 55. I drive conservativly in town and on the HWY i drive fast and at higher RPMs and that is why there is poor mileage. I think the EPA just sucks at estimating I would have put it closer to
23/28

Which is what my S10 was supposed to get but it was closer to 17/20

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think its the cold! Me and my boyfriend (mines an automatic and his is a manual) have both been complaining about or gas mileage. When we both got our boxs we were getting way better and that was in Oct. , but I think these cold days are making it work harder! He thinks that it has alot to do with the weather stuff they put in the gas. Don't know, but it sucks!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
IBXB said:
Why not just Walk to work?
I have to drop my kid off at day-care, which is on the same street as my work. It just makes things a little easier to drive.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Man, 0.3 miles? I have a 40 mile round trip 5 days a week....... mileage could be better if I backed off some. It just soooo much fun to drive the box, I'm not extremely hard on it, my driving style is just very "spirited"........ ;)

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
haha yeah I'm with dtrain, except I can't have spirited driving. I'm in 20mph traffic to and from work. 45 miles a day, 45 minutes to work and 45 minutes home, sucks balls but this is why I traded in my T100 for the box :D

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
I'd lose my mind if I had to drive in your conditions, Dew! :eek:

I totally miss the morning commute, so it's an easy drive for me. Biggest problem is rubber-neckers trying to check out the box while driving along side me, still can't figure out why 'cause my box is pretty much stock on the outside!

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
2,912 Posts
dtrain619 said:
Biggest problem is rubber-neckers trying to check out the box while driving along side me, still can't figure out why 'cause my box is pretty much stock on the outside!
They just like to stare at the cuteness of the box. :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.