Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a strut bar is installed, do you have to align the XB or does it not affect the alignment. I just got a Hotchkis Tie Bar in today and it doesn't say anything about an alignment, but someone at work said I would need one. Please help A.S.A.P., I want to get it intalled.
Thanks in advance!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
No, Our strut tower bars do next to nothing. The strut towers are built into the firewall. So really, they just look kool.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man, thanks for the quick reply. Thats all mines gonna be for is looks! I'm making one. Bought the Hotchkis for some measurments and mock up while parts are being made. Thanks again!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
No problem, make sure to post up pics of the finished product

·
Registered
309 Posts
Padanky said:
No, Our strut tower bars do next to nothing. The strut towers are built into the firewall. So really, they just look kool.
you make awesome grills but i have to disagree with you mr. padanky

i have the dc sports front strut tie bar noticed a huge improvement immediately, quicker steering response, tighter handling, less lean, etc.

but i did have the trd rear sway installed maybe 2 weeks before. and i also installed the front chassis brace a month after. so i was bored the other day and i decided i'd check out if maybe it was just in my head that i was feeling these improvements.

i took the bar off took it for a little drive on some curvy hilly roads. then put it back on and took it for a drive again.

my conclusion is that you will not feel any difference from installing the bar if you drive like an old lady. although i feel the difference at any speed, my buddy could not tell from lower speeds but he definitely noticed at higher speeds and hard cornering. i really tore up the curves so i'm 100% sure this thing works.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
They help a little, but not much. Now the frame brace on the other hand, really helped. I have the Megan strut tower bar, frame brace, I still want a rear sway bar.

Try a solid tower brace, mine is three pieces. Solid would probably help a little more. I got a Megan one because I have the Megan Header.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Padanky said:
They help a little, but not much. Now the frame brace on the other hand, really helped. I have the Megan strut tower bar, frame brace, I still want a rear sway bar.

Try a solid tower brace, mine is three pieces. Solid would probably help a little more. I got a Megan one because I have the Megan Header.
Chris and I are in the same spot, I have the meagan strut bar and a frame brace but I'm really looking forward to the rear brace. That is the one that will make a difference. A complete set as it were. ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
i hear that having only a front sway bar is bad...i guess it can cause oversteer if you don't have both front and rear bars. heard it's actually kinda dangerous.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 2006 xB has a strut bar installed by SouthEast Toyota when it came through the of Jacksonville.

I do not have anything to compare it to but when I hit the corners hard in my xB it seems to help.

Hey besides it looks cool sitting there under the hood where no one notices it :eek:

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
I have APR strut brace. Immediately after installing it a driver's door stoped squeacking when driving over bumps. So it worked just as designed: to add rigibility to the body of the car. Strut bars don't affect lean- sway bars and springs take care of that.

·
Registered
375 Posts
you make awesome grills but i have to disagree with you mr. padanky

i have the dc sports front strut tie bar noticed a huge improvement immediately, quicker steering response, tighter handling, less lean, etc.

but i did have the trd rear sway installed maybe 2 weeks before. and i also installed the front chassis brace a month after. so i was bored the other day and i decided i'd check out if maybe it was just in my head that i was feeling these improvements.

i took the bar off took it for a little drive on some curvy hilly roads. then put it back on and took it for a drive again.

my conclusion is that you will not feel any difference from installing the bar if you drive like an old lady. although i feel the difference at any speed, my buddy could not tell from lower speeds but he definitely noticed at higher speeds and hard cornering. i really tore up the curves so i'm 100% sure this thing works.
Curvy/hilly roads are all subjective.

Take it to a track and get times with it on and off.

I have to agree with Padanky. With the way our strut towers are designed...the strut bar is going to be pretty when you pop the hood. It will do little else...perhaps give you something to lean on when working under the hood.

btw...I have the Greddy Strut bar, sportlines, and gr2s.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Curvy/hilly roads are all subjective.

Take it to a track and get times with it on and off.

I have to agree with Padanky. With the way our strut towers are designed...the strut bar is going to be pretty when you pop the hood. It will do little else...perhaps give you something to lean on when working under the hood.

btw...I have the Greddy Strut bar, sportlines, and gr2s.
maybe the greddy strut bar performs differently than the dc sports strut bar.

the main differences I feel are in body roll and steering response. btw this is not just my opinion i had a buddy in the car with me and he also drove it. if you dont feel the difference you dont feel the difference what can I say. I would test it on a track if I had access to one.

i tried this a while ago when the only other suspension mods I had were the rear sway bar and tein h techs. I have a frame brace and polyurethane bushings on the front sway bar now.

you know my mom drives my car at least once a week everytime i do something to the car I ask her if the car feels different. everytime she says no ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
maybe the greddy strut bar performs differently than the dc sports strut bar.

the main differences I feel are in body roll and steering response. btw this is not just my opinion i had a buddy in the car with me and he also drove it. if you dont feel the difference you dont feel the difference what can I say. I would test it on a track if I had access to one.

i tried this a while ago when the only other suspension mods I had were the rear sway bar and tein h techs. I have a frame brace and polyurethane bushings on the front sway bar now.

you know my mom drives my car at least once a week everytime i do something to the car I ask her if the car feels different. everytime she says no ;)
A well made strut bar is all going to act the same on the car...no matter the brand.

I just dont see how you would have noticed this bar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.