Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i searched and all i came up with were to use plastic plugs to fill in the holes left by the license plate, so i'm creating this thread.
when i got my xb, i didnt even think to tell the dealer not to drill the license plate onto the bumper. then i caught the "mod bug" as i've seen it called here, and the more i get into the scene, the less i'm liking the plate mounted on the bumper. personally, i think that the plastic plugs look cheap and kinda crappy so i'd rather not go that route.
basically what i'm asking is: what are my options? is it possible to get those holes filled and painted by a body shop for a reasonable price (and by reasonable i mean under $100. i mean, c'mon, its two 1/4" holes!) or am i better off getting a whole new bumper from the dealer?

any other ideas would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

matt

·
Registered
224 Posts
plate

I would just leave the plate just get a frame around it save money for other mods here in n.y we by law need our front plates , not worth the hassle!

okay so i searched and all i came up with were to use plastic plugs to fill in the holes left by the license plate, so i'm creating this thread.
when i got my xb, i didnt even think to tell the dealer not to drill the license plate onto the bumper. then i caught the "mod bug" as i've seen it called here, and the more i get into the scene, the less i'm liking the plate mounted on the bumper. personally, i think that the plastic plugs look cheap and kinda crappy so i'd rather not go that route.
basically what i'm asking is: what are my options? is it possible to get those holes filled and painted by a body shop for a reasonable price (and by reasonable i mean under $100. i mean, c'mon, its two 1/4" holes!) or am i better off getting a whole new bumper from the dealer?

matt

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Padanjy what do you think it would cost to fill in the license plate holes and reshoot the bumper. Couldnt be mor than $200. Worth it in my book. But on our RS3 and RS4, I told them no holes.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Thread jack! ^^^^ just something to do. I left the screws in the holes and pulled the plate. The dealer had a couple of morons working on my tradein and they magled my plate. Since I had the unused "front" plate, I swapped it onto the back of my xB.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought some "bullet screws" from a truck stop on my way up to Rexburg, Idaho. If you've never been, don't go! Ha ha! As far as the three holes in my foglight blank... the one on the drivers side allows air to go straight so my Injen SRI and the one on the passenger side is to even the look out. Sorry for promoting the thread jacking. In my personal opinion, it's not worth it to pay the $200 to fill the holes. For a little more money you can get a whole new body kit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
spikes! but that's just me. after 2 tickets in a week. license plate is back on. or leds like thundergod said.

Thats what Im running...two 2" chrome spikes that tie into my grill and wheels. No hassle from the po-po for 3+ months now.

I run all my vechicles w/o a front plate and have never been pulled over.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I used some vinyl to cover mine up.

·
Registered
325 Posts

matt
Sorry but likely not that cheap the labor time to remove and paint the bumper is 5.7 hours adding materials and color match the cost comes out to be about $340 with about $100 in materials cost alone. This number does not include any labor or materials to actually fill the holes. Add an additional $50 or more for this ( I would do this part for about $40 others may want more). Special materials must be used to fill these for a lasting job...not bondo or fiberglass...must be plastic welded (best) or special adhesive fillers for plastic (should work fine for these small holes).

·
Registered
567 Posts
i bought a new bumper and got it painted. New bumpers strait from Toyota do not have the holes drilled, they just have dimples. I custom made a LP bracket. and no i did not just buy the bumper for this reaosn. I needed one anyway, and tht just turned out to be a plus

·
Registered
325 Posts
i bought a new bumper and got it painted. New bumpers strait from Toyota do not have the holes drilled, they just have dimples. I custom made a LP bracket. and no i did not just buy the bumper for this reaosn. I needed one anyway, and tht just turned out to be a plus
Here in Georgia new xB's come with no holes in the front bumper mostly (some foolish dealer might be putting a dealer tag on them there??). There are no front tags required here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used some vinyl to cover mine up.
that's similar to what i was going to suggest...

mind you, i haven't tried this yet, it's just a thought. What if you were to dremel down the edges of the drilled holes, and get them about as flush as you can, and stamp out a couple of round pieces of clearbra. spray the top surface of the clearbra with a matched paint, and carefully apply them to the bumper?

I kinda wonder if the clearbra would be strong enough to resist 'dimpling'? Is that a word?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.