Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone be nice enough to tell me (even if there has been a thread posted in the past on this before) what my force induction options are and, if information is known, what are the benefits and pitfalls of each options? Some websites would also be nice too, but personal experience/knowledge from others has always been the most helpful to me. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
179 Posts
FDKxB said:
Would someone be nice enough to tell me (even if there has been a thread posted in the past on this before) what my force induction options are and, if information is known, what are the benefits and pitfalls of each options? Some websites would also be nice too, but personal experience/knowledge from others has always been the most helpful to me. Thank you very much.
You have two options. Supercharge or turbocharge. Personally I like the turbocharging better. There are advantage and disadvantage of both of course. Currently I am running the Greddy turbo kit. You can read more about it here or ask any questions. http://smoothlinezforums.com/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=abebd626982955d56e4a4b68b81d1caa

·
Registered
214 Posts
Options with estimate on prices:
Turbos:
Greddy Turbo kit - $2,500
Zpi turbo kit - $3,900
Custom - $1,300+

Superchargers:
Greddy s/c kit - $2,900
Power Enterprise - $3,000
Blitz - $2,900
Custom - $1,000+

I may have missed out on some, but those are the most popular and ZPI is supposed to realease their kit at some point this year. They claimed a month but i wouldn't recommend their kit. IMO unreliable although puts out the most power, and horrible customer service unless you live in KY or near there where you can drive down there and phsyically get their kit. Of course, all f/i requires specific upgrades and ideal synthetic motor and transmission oil(s) as well as the obvious, 91+ octane gas.

·
Registered
179 Posts
killerxromances said:
They claimed a month but i wouldn't recommend their kit. IMO unreliable although puts out the most power, and horrible customer service unless you live in KY or near there where you can drive down there and phsyically get their kit. Of course, all f/i requires specific upgrades and ideal synthetic motor and transmission oil(s) as well as the obvious, 91+ octane gas.
Haha, we finally agree on something buddy! I think they are full of it. Their numbers are unreliable, first, because it was done on a mustang dyno. They typically dyno a higher number than dynojet, dynopak, etc. They dont have an AFR graph, lied about a 10.5:1 AFR making 184whp on 7.5psi of boost? I mean some people could be gullable but this is just plain stupid. The other thing also is their kit is bolted lower than the oil pan which forces them to use an electric oil pump to cool the turbo. That pressure from the pump continues to blow their turbo seals so I think that is what the delay might be. Not to mention who wants to worry about bottoming out and smashing their turbos? The list is quite extensive for why the ZPI kit is a bad idea.

·
Registered
214 Posts
rollhard said:
Haha, we finally agree on something buddy! I think they are full of it. Their numbers are unreliable, first, because it was done on a mustang dyno. They typically dyno a higher number than dynojet, dynopak, etc. They dont have an AFR graph, lied about a 10.5:1 AFR making 184whp on 7.5psi of boost? I mean some people could be gullable but this is just plain stupid. The other thing also is their kit is bolted lower than the oil pan which forces them to use an electric oil pump to cool the turbo. That pressure from the pump continues to blow their turbo seals so I think that is what the delay might be. Not to mention who wants to worry about bottoming out and smashing their turbos? The list is quite extensive for why the ZPI kit is a bad idea.
Holy crap we agree! Yes! lol

Yeah, mustang dynos (from what i've experienced) are way off. If your looking for just power and dont care how, ZPI is great. Other than that, complete crap.

Not to mention that 181whp was based on no management. lmao

·
Registered
813 Posts
killerxromances said:

Yeah, mustang dynos (from what i've experienced) are way off. If your looking for just power and dont care how, ZPI is great. Other than that, complete crap.

so is it a bad turbo ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the Greddy turbo is remarked as the most reliable turbo setup, so I've been looking into that one. What are some other power gaining mods that can be safely added to the car for some extra pep with the turbo, or one you get the turbo, is it pretty much just a done deal? I trust you guys, so I'm just trying to see what you all have to say. I have my own ideas, but I like to hear personal comments and experience.

·
Registered
179 Posts
killerxromances said:

complete and utter BS. Nestor said they are using 370cc injectors with no emanage tuning. I JUST installed my injectors and fuel rail this weekend and the car would not even idle. I installed the 330cc injectors and it was WAYYY to rich. Even when I tried to drive around the block, it would putter and cough up black smoke. I had to lean it way out on the Emanage just to get it to idle. That company is bad news...

Misterflipper said:
so is it a bad turbo ?
The turbo they use itself is not bad, but it is too big for our cars. Spool up time is 3800rpm. What use is that if we redline around 6k? LMAO, gg geinus'. The biggest concern you should think about when investing $3500 into something is not the HP, rather the reliability of the company itself. They are not professional, horrible customer service and they BS you if they think you dont know anything about cars and tuning. I personally know a few people that have waited months and months for something they promised in a matter of a couple of weeks. They want refunds now but are getting the run around.

·
Registered
214 Posts
rollhard said:
complete and utter BS. Nestor said they are using 370cc injectors with no emanage tuning. I JUST installed my injectors and fuel rail this weekend and the car would not even idle. I installed the 330cc injectors and it was WAYYY to rich. Even when I tried to drive around the block, it would putter and cough up black smoke. I had to lean it way out on the Emanage just to get it to idle. That company is bad news...

The turbo they use itself is not bad, but it is too big for our cars. Spool up time is 3800rpm. What use is that if we redline around 6k? LMAO, gg geinus'. The biggest concern you should think about when investing $3500 into something is not the HP, rather the reliability of the company itself. They are not professional, horrible customer service and they BS you if they think you dont know anything about cars and tuning. I personally know a few people that have waited months and months for something they promised in a matter of a couple of weeks. They want refunds now but are getting the run around.
Not to mention zpi is one of those companies that promise alot, but can only deliver so much. They have their heads so far up each others a_sses that they believe they own the Scion community because they are usually the first to do this or that. When you get in that mind frame, its hard to deliver well organized and planned products. For instance, the Xb kit.

I do wish we had a higher redline though...

·
Registered
179 Posts
killerxromances said:
Not to mention zpi is one of those companies that promise alot, but can only deliver so much. They have their heads so far up each others a_sses that they believe they own the Scion community because they are usually the first to do this or that. When you get in that mind frame, its hard to deliver well organized and planned products. For instance, the Xb kit.

I do wish we had a higher redline though...
Yeah, with the CEL light on I was able to go a bit over 7k rpm with no hp drop. I dont know how good this is for our valvetrain though. hehe. if you look at the ZPI info, its targetted at noobs that dont know much. Only they can believe 184whp with 7.5psi of boost and 10.5:1 afr.

·
Registered
214 Posts
rollhard said:
Yeah, with the CEL light on I was able to go a bit over 7k rpm with no hp drop. I dont know how good this is for our valvetrain though. hehe. if you look at the ZPI info, its targetted at noobs that dont know much. Only they can believe 184whp with 7.5psi of boost and 10.5:1 afr.
It would all be believeable with a stand alone, but with no management? Common, even a piggy back wouldn't produce results like that. I believed them up until i saw their 2nd video of one of the shop guys driving the xb and the camera focusing on the dash/gauges. It didn't pull any where near hard enough for the car to have 180whp, not even 150whp. It pulled like a typical, 130-140whp boosted xb. Which, is fine i mean it pulled pretty hard. But not for what they are claiming.

Someone told me a while ago, several weeks back that their xb pulled 12.9 in the 1/4. He didn't want me to tell anyone but its been a while so i'm sure zpi has already disclosed this. If not, oh well and i'm sorry for the guy that told me. But, 12.9 would require at least 205whp with drag tires to pull that off. With street tires a good 210-220whp. Where is this power coming from? 20psi on stock internals? A piggy back? The only 1nz i have ever seen hit those times with boost was a Echo that had a fully built bottom end, 15psi (ish) and a stand alone and i believe it was dyno'd at 204whp. It wasn't anybody i knew, i heard about it and saw the link off of a echo forum. This happend i believe right as the xb came out on the east coast in 2003. But still, how and where are they getting this power from? It makes no sense to me, at least on their project.

I'm sure the 1nzfe can hit those numbers, but not with a basic boost application. Your talking much more money than i've spent n/a.

·
Registered
179 Posts
seriously man, even with tuning, what else would you want to do? Timing is perfect, afr is perfect, what else can you do to squeeze an extra 40whp? Not much. Even with a standalone and timing, at 7.5psi,....whatever. The 16g turbo is NOT made for 7psi of boost. People with turbo cars who upgrade to a larger 16g turbo usually run 15-17psi. I wouldnt be surprised if they set it to 7.5psi and the internal wastegate let it creep to 12-14psi, giving them about 160whp (184 on a mustand dyno) haha.

·
Registered
179 Posts
jsigone said:
interesting thread, I like it. Lots of good info. Rollhard, are you using the greddy kit?
Yes, I am using the Greddy kit. I almost bought the Blitz SC or put a deposit on the ZPI kit. Im glad I made the decision I made. The greddy kit didnt come with installation instructions but it was pretty much straight foward. It came with everything, even a new oil pan cover! Youll have to drill new flange holes on the stock exhaust though. Other than that, everything bolted right on. Total install time was about 4 hours. It can probably be done even faster but I forgot to put the shield on the turbo so I have to take it off after it was already installed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What did you use for a FMIC or SMIC?

4 hours under a car isn't bad at all. I'm really leaning toward this kit, just need to know how much I need set aside for extra stuff, like the IC setup, injectors and FMU of some sort.

·
Registered
179 Posts
jsigone said:
What did you use for a FMIC or SMIC?

4 hours under a car isn't bad at all. I'm really leaning toward this kit, just need to know how much I need set aside for extra stuff, like the IC setup, injectors and FMU of some sort.
Im using the Greddy FMIC kit. YOu wont spend much time under the car at all. The only thing you need to do under the car is the oil pressure sensor, which you can probably do from the top also, the oil pan, and the downpipe. Everything else you can do from the top.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.