Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I got wheel hop bad at the track once and heard a loud pop in the front left, worried me but I continued down the qtr. Never ran into any problems, don't know what it could of been.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i was racing my brother's 2004 RSX and due to wheel hop we managed to break a motor mount.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Wheel hop pisses me off...maybe i'll fab up some traction bars...Once i dumpes at like 3.5 and spun all the way through 1st and almost all the way thourgh 2nd...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
aaronle06 said:
i was racing my brother's 2004 RSX and due to wheel hop we managed to break a motor mount.
I guess I could check my motor mounts, never thought about the mounts. Mount would be something that I would probably not notice for awhile.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I shift at 5900 because after that, the power starts to dip...there is no point in going higher rpm after that. Look at the power curve also. Our engines make a good amount of low end tq, so the sooner you shift, you can let that tq take over also.

As for everyday driving, I shift around 3300 because I have a bit of turbo lag.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
slowbox said:
I have to ask, why would you want to race with a car that make a little over 100hp??????

Your alot cooler if your in the little car beating up on the big cars than the big cars beating up on the little ones.

·
Registered
179 Posts
slowbox said:
I have to ask, why would you want to race with a car that make a little over 100hp??????
WHat makes a 100hp bike fly? The xb has only 108hp but the 2400lb weight makes it a more powerful car than you would think. Give it boost and its not too bad. Is it fast? NO, but then again, there are many cars out there that are slower.

The best thing about racing an XB is that its a box. There is nothing funnier than driving and beating on someone wiht this car or even watching the box smoke other cars.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
back to the og subject!!!!!!!

I found that when revvin it up, best shift time for smooth consistensy is around 57-5900rpm. It just seems to flow real smooth and accelerate at its best in between 58-6000 RPM. I would say in the 1st & 2nd it is best at around 4800rpm, cuz u wont get much more outta those gears as far as acceleration goes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
I found that when revvin it up, best shift time for smooth consistensy is around 57-5900rpm. It just seems to flow real smooth and accelerate at its best in between 58-6000 RPM. I would say in the 1st & 2nd it is best at around 4800rpm, cuz u wont get much more outta those gears as far as acceleration goes.
yeah your car will start to lose power after 5900

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wow, some of you guys shift early. When i manually shift my auto i shift around 6,350rpm. Never had an issue with the transmission or any other parts because of it.

Also, rollhard tq isn't going to win you races. Whp alone doesn't either, but whp will matter slightly more than wtq when you look at rpm. If you have a engine that makes 20wtq at 3,000rpm and 10wtq at 8,000rpm. (yeah, i know no motor is that weak but just as an example) Which rpm do you think your going to pull harder? 8,000rpm would be the answer, just because your making more wtq at x,xxxrpm doesn't mean your going to pull harder. Look at desels, lots of wtq, some have quite a bit of whp too, and still very slow. Just thought i'd add that in there.

But yeah, if my tranny can handle shifting just above redline, the manual shouldn't have much of an issue. And for those that think shifting earlier will improve performance.. I've done track comparisons with my car, leaving it in drive (shifts below redline) i am a half a second slower plus in the 1/4 vs. manually shifting. Of course, the auto is geared differently but same concept.

·
Registered
179 Posts
look at your dyno charts guys. Shifting at a higher rpm is not going to do jack if your power starts to drop. As for tq, over whp, Ill take the tq thank you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
rollhard said:
look at your dyno charts guys. Shifting at a higher rpm is not going to do jack if your power starts to drop. As for tq, over whp, Ill take the tq thank you.
In a light car, torque really isn't going to amount to all that much. I've done the test and shifting higher in this car does make improvement. When you shift higher, your going to be higher in the rpm's in the next gear, closer to peak whp and harder your going to pull in the next gear.

When you go to the track, shift at 5,000rpm then. You've reached max wtq by then i'm sure, then on your next run shift at redline. Come back or post your results and show me shifting at the lower rpm got you the better time. :D :cool:

·
Registered
179 Posts
killerxromances said:
In a light car, torque really isn't going to amount to all that much. I've done the test and shifting higher in this car does make improvement. When you shift higher, your going to be higher in the rpm's in the next gear, closer to peak whp and harder your going to pull in the next gear.

When you go to the track, shift at 5,000rpm then. You've reached max wtq by then i'm sure, then on your next run shift at redline. Come back or post your results and show me shifting at the lower rpm got you the better time. :D :cool:
I think you are kinda missing the point. No one said to shift at 5k rpm. But yeah, if your whp is dropping at 5k then shift. Im not one for 160whp and 120whp. I like my tq and whp complimentary of each other. I shift higher because the boost gives me power all the way to 7200rpm. For the guys running all motor or even a diff set up, have your car dyno tuned to see where the optimal shift point is.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
slowbox said:

dude think about it like this when you beat someone in a RSX or in a 67 GTO or in a Saleen Mustang its kind of a embarassing thing to get pwned and sent via UPS to your front dashboard by a xB, a pinto or my #1 fave, a clown car with the goofy crap all over the car, with like 10 clowns in it.

ps i almost took a 96-00 civic ex in arlington down the a street that is being constructed so the other side is closed down and i was on the oppisite side of the cones/oncoming traffic at night. what a rush. i met up with him later and im probably going to hang out with him and his tuner buddies soon.

·
Registered
214 Posts
rollhard said:
I think you are kinda missing the point. No one said to shift at 5k rpm. But yeah, if your whp is dropping at 5k then shift. Im not one for 160whp and 120whp. I like my tq and whp complimentary of each other. I shift higher because the boost gives me power all the way to 7200rpm. For the guys running all motor or even a diff set up, have your car dyno tuned to see where the optimal shift point is.
I have and you've seen my thread. :p Have you gone to the track yet?

·
Registered
214 Posts
rollhard said:
Its pointless arguing with you bro. You're right and I'm wrong ok? My car will be slower with more tq.....
You need to relax, i like you. Your a good guy, can't we have a debate without it getting personal?

How will your car be slower, you have more whp than i do. I"m not saying torque doesn't matter, but when you talk about a 2,400lbs car or under, torque isn't something you really need to look at as much. If you have a lot of torque in a 2,000lbs car for instance, its going to cause you more trouble than good compared to less torque and more whp. If we are talking about a 3,000lbs+ car, i agree with you to a certain extent.

I'm not arguing, i never do i just thought we were debating. Seriously man, relax. :cool:

·
Registered
340 Posts
So if you are cruising at 70-75 mph and your want to accelerate as quick as possible from there (say you were trying to pass someone), would you just floor it at 5th gear or would you downshift to 4th? I think at 70-75 mph isn't the rpm at around 3500-4000rpm?

p.s. what's wheel hop?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
lol when you haul ass and you are at a stand still and your tires get this anti grip on the road and the weight of your car isnt heavy enough to keep the wheels on the ground so the force exerted pushes down, pushing your wheels up and gravity brings them back down and this is a stimultaneous process which is very quick and very rapid. its similar to over-torquing.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.