Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Scion XB 1.5 L4 with a used 6,000 mile used L4 automatic transmission that is being installed to replace my 178,000 mile L4 transmission that drove 22 miles and had no engagement in drive or reverse after replacing the engine. So I bought a really low mileage used scion L4 automatic transmission that had the fluid drained when removed at salvage yard, so I have to refill the fluid and my question is besides the TOYOTA ATF type T- IV what else is better now to use? I know that this ATF type T- IV is a German formula but that is from 2006 and now there are many newer types of full synthetic that are more advanced in cooling as well as function, and synthetics that are "middle of the road" so they can state that many different car models can use their fluid. I have seen too many replies of just stick with Toyota ATF type T- IV but nothing from transmission shop experiences using a "better" synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
48 Posts
BTW, I'm in the exact same boat as you. Same model, had the tranny blow up, bought a used tranny from a junkyard, but haven't gotten around to swapping them out yet. (Too damn hot & humid in AZ right now)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2006 Scion XB 1.5 L4 with a used 6,000 mile used L4 automatic transmission that is being installed to replace my 178,000 mile L4 transmission that drove 22 miles and had no engagement in drive or reverse after replacing the engine. So I bought a really low mileage used scion L4 automatic transmission that had the fluid drained when removed at salvage yard, so I have to refill the fluid and my question is besides the TOYOTA ATF type T- IV what else is better now to use? I know that this ATF type T- IV is a German formula but that is from 2006 and now there are many newer types of full synthetic that are more advanced in cooling as well as function, and synthetics that are "middle of the road" so they can state that many different car models can use their fluid. I have seen too many replies of just stick with Toyota ATF type T- IV but nothing from transmission shop experiences using a "better" synthetic fluid.
Here is what I do to my Automatic Transmissions for the fluid and filter change:
Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
and
a bottle of PolyDyn TX7 Auto Transmission Treatment.

my 2 cents worth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts