Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished my 6 spd trans swap yesterday... didn't know if it had ever been done before... loving the extra overdrive and close ratios... I highly recommend the swap... wasnt very hard if you have any fab skills and could be easily done in a day...

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 09:27 PM ----------

was trying to gauge interest in this swap and possibly doing a writeup on it...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a few pics... not as many as I should have... but I did all of it myself so I am intimately acquainted with the details...

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 09:42 PM ----------

once I clean the car back up, its in the mid of a few projects I can take more...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still need to upload them to photobucket to post... as far as the trans its a c150/c160 hybrid... the stock scion 5 spd bellhousing on a c160 trans... from a 96-2000 toyota corolla levin, was originally mated to the 4age black top engine, at 60 mph drops the rpms roughly 400 rpms so it does have slightly more overdrive... besides swapping the bellhousings the only fab work needed was to clearance the side framerail by 1/2... while that sounds hard any one with fab skills can do this in about 30 mins, and I had to cut the shifter cable bracket and move the up and down cable about 1/2 inch closer to the shift linkage... without this the shifter wouldnt hit 2,4, or 6... and for most that have seen the writup for the echo I can attest that dissasembly of anything other than the bellhousing isn't needed...

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 10:28 PM ----------

If anymore people are really interested I will do a writeup with pics to detail some steps... I still have my 5 speed trans apart to take a few pics if necessary...

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I would do the write up anyway as I remember this being a subject discussed many times. I know it had also been questioned about using the final drive gears out of an echo or Yaris to reduce rpm's at highway speed. How much does it help with fuel economy? Glad the project went well. Congrats on an awesome project.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't have any fuel economy numbers yet its only been about 100 miles so far, just finished it saturday... going by my gps it's at 3000rpms at 60mph, 3500rpms at 70mph, and 4000rpms at 80mph... and for shits and giggles did a redline run in 5th gear and it did 99mph... its definately lower rpms than the 5 spd... I read alot of misinformation about people saying it would be higher because people dont realize how high of a final drive a scion has compared to the echo/yaris...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Very interesting. I'd love more info

·
JokerBox
375 Posts
I'm interested in a write up on this. Also, you're saying that with the new trans in you're running 80 mph at 4,000 RPM... Is that in 5th or 6th?

·
Rescued RS 2.0
812 Posts
This has my attention as well.

I/we want a write up for a Merry Christmas. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4000 rpm in 6th... by gps... gps reads quite a bit different than our speedometer... As another comparison it did a gps verified 99mph in 5th gear at redline...Also keep in mind that I am on 195/50/15 tires so not a very tall tire... So if you are looking for a huge overdrive in 6th this isn't it... Its a very close ratio 6 speed... I figure its probably a 3-400 rpm drop in 6th gear vs the old 5th gear... The RPM's barely drop between shifts... So if you are looking for a sportier feeling trans and a bit more overdrive this is nice... also mine has the torsen LSD and driving in the rain yesterday seemed to have a signifigant improvement in traction...

I will do just a few quick notes here for everyone about the swap:

overview of whats needed and what fits

1996-2000 corolla levin c160 trans
xB bellhousing
xB shifter cable bracket
xB axles
xB clutch
xB clutch fork

also want to add that if you have read the conversion writeup on yaris world that it isn't nearly as difficult as was stated... the actual bellhousing swap can be accomplished without touching the tail shaft or really any internals, I am sure that the previous writup scared some people away... yes it does need a very slight notch of the framerail but I did it and looks factory in less than 30 mins, and the only other modification that was needed was I had to cut and reweld the shifter cable mounting flange for the forward most cable about 1/2 inch closer to the shift linkage... without this mod the shifter wont move far enough back to catch 2,4, or 6th gear...

---------- Post added 12-24-2014 at 07:26 PM ----------

also wanted to add I seen that in some other forums etc it claims you need a different axle seal to fit the axles which is incorrect... the stock seal and the levin seal that are already installed work fine, another note is that if you have the LSD version like mine that it is alittle harder to snap the axle in, seems to be a more precision fit than my original scion diff...

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
My Matrix has that 6 speed trans and it holds high RPMs on the highway but still okay on gas. The Scion would mostly benefit from being able to use it's torque curve in other road situations.

·
Rescued RS 2.0
812 Posts
4000 rpm in 6th... by gps... gps reads quite a bit different than our speedometer... ...
Perhaps you can swap out the speedo gear from your stock tranny into the replacement tranny to bring back the speedometer calibration?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
possible but didnt check the tooth count to see if the rings were different or not... but even pre-6spd the factory speedometer was quite a bit off compared to my gps in my alpine...

---------- Post added 12-26-2014 at 09:55 PM ----------

My Matrix has that 6 speed trans and it holds high RPMs on the highway but still okay on gas. The Scion would mostly benefit from being able to use it's torque curve in other road situations.
the matrix has a c60 not a c160 but im sure the gearing is similiar... its nice that in normal driving situations that the engine is nearly impossible to lug with the extra gear...

·
PermA-n00b
70 Posts
if its at 4,000 RPM at 80 MPH, isn't that the same as what the current 5th gear does? Or am I mistaken? I don't really go above 60 much where I live right now. It's a great idea to have a 6th gear. I've wanted one forever. But I want it where 6th gear would have me at around 2,500 RPM range in 6th Gear at 80 MPH. Just simply for MPG when I do my long drive home twice a year. because driving 10+ hours doing 80 at 4,000 RPM range just seems painful to me.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Bigger wheels is your best bet. I think this just helps to not ever lug the engine. We need a video!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry i havent kept up with this or made a full writeup yet... holidays and long work hours have taken my time... but happy to say i have driven it probably 2k miles so far with no issues...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have a link to the Yaris => C160 swap?

As far as the fab you're describing, this sounds pretty easy. Since the welder is already out, could probably weld in a piece of plate where the notch is.

As far as GPS vs Speedo, the stock speedos on most cars actually show 2mph faster than what's actually being read on your obd2 sensors.

So your odometer is actually reading distance correctly when running 185/60-R15. This is basically a preventative measure for folks who drive at 35mph but would drive closer to 37mph. On the speedometer it'll show at or near 40mph to discourage speeding in a 35 zone.

Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes

use that tire calculator to calculate the difference in speed between your tires and the stock 185/60-r15s

1 - 20 of 29 Posts