Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bro, I read ticket assasin, but still have not absorb what it says. might have to re-read again for few times. Please tell me more on written declaration. have you tried it? where to get forms and such.

Yeah, last sunday after the Nationals, going home, it went a bit slow on 10 west(west covina) so I used the rightmost lane. before an exit, tried to go back to 2nd lane because it is still not my exit. I cautiously passed a slow truck(got like 2-3 car length) so I know its safe. btw the truck is slow. then this officer point at me and direct me to the side.
he wrote: Obey sign on the ticket?
I have to come back at that place later this week to observe what happen, but I still believe I did nothing wrong.

BTW, they are the cause of the slow moving traffic. Motorist start slowing like 30 mph, because they are looking and nosing around.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
well, if it was a Thcik broken white line for an off ramp, and you went into it to pass, you were in the wrong. Those lanes are not meant to be used as passing lanes. At least as far as I know. PM Squirrel, cuz he's a cop. He might be able to help you out some way or another.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You know you could always just say screw it and go to court and appear before a judge at night court and he will greatly lessent he fine and do traffic school...and the forms for the written declaration is at the courthouse or online through their webpage...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Misterflipper said:
DO written declaration..
Works good for speading, officer didn't "submit speed survey" or something like that...

I did everything online, First I got an extension, then did "TRIAL BY WRITTEN DECLARATION" on the new payment due date. They mail you a form to fill out and you can type or write down your story. You'll get something in the mail telling you if you won or not, and you can appeal if you didn't win but the appeal is done in person I think. If not guilty, wait about 1 month for your refund check. So the letter I wrote got me off the hook, I've lent the letter to other people and it worked for them too.

Good luck with your ticket!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DodgerGirl said:
Works good for speading, officer didn't "submit speed survey" or something like that...

I did everything online, First I got an extension, then did "TRIAL BY WRITTEN DECLARATION" on the new payment due date. They mail you a form to fill out and you can type or write down your story. You'll get something in the mail telling you if you won or not, and you can appeal if you didn't win but the appeal is done in person I think. If not guilty, wait about 1 month for your refund check. So the letter I wrote got me off the hook, I've lent the letter to other people and it worked for them too.

Good luck with your ticket!
Thank you for sharing, please do tell me more. I went to West Covina.org but can't find anything . I will still have to wait maybe a week, I don't know if the officer already turn in the papers, but want to collect all things needed to process this mess ahead of time.
sid

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
erm...sorry to thread jack...but how much is a speeding ticket :( I just got one for going 80 in a 70

·
Registered
200 Posts
sid said:
Thank you for sharing, please do tell me more. I went to West Covina.org but can't find anything . I will still have to wait maybe a week, I don't know if the officer already turn in the papers, but want to collect all things needed to process this mess ahead of time.
sid

I used http://lasuperiorcourt.org and clicked on the traffic section http://lasuperiorcourt.org/Traffic/index.asp?RT=EX Not sure if your citation will be on there because of where you got the ticket but you can look up by DL# if you don't have the citation number.

Good luck n let us know what happens.

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
sid said:
oh man!!! what have you done? that could have been the money for wheels!

sorry for what happen, nope don't know how much, but i'm thinking +$100.
I know...thas why I'm so bummed :(

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DodgerGirl said:
I used http://lasuperiorcourt.org and clicked on the traffic section http://lasuperiorcourt.org/Traffic/index.asp?RT=EX Not sure if your citation will be on there because of where you got the ticket but you can look up by DL# if you don't have the citation number.

Good luck n let us know what happens.
thank you! i'll just wait for the courtesy notice first, and see how much is the ticket, then 20 days before show up, i'm requesting the trial declaration form and go from there.

thanks,
sid

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
search for california traffic tickets on yahoo...there is a website on there you can see how much the ticket is for, and even pay it online if it is cheap.

·
Banned
130 Posts
I went 10 over and got nailed for 128 bucks. FWIW..

Also, trial by declaration is the easiest way to contest a ticket. As said previously, the officer doesn't get overtime to fill out his side of the report (unlike if he attends court), and if he doesn't turn his in by the date he's required, or if not at all, you automatically win your case by default since there's nothing to challenge your report.

If you were in the wrong, I always suggest doing what you need, but if the officer was incorrect, by all means, protect yourself.

Also, if you appear on the court date on your ticket, you can request before the judge for the trial by declaration (under a not guilty plea) and you'll walk away from the courthouse with the packet.

I got pulled over in Sebastopol, CA (small, eccentric town + bored, overstaffed police force) and got nailed for $1200 in fines because I was being tailgated for 10 minutes by some prick, and when we got into town, the light went yellow and I had no choice but to speed up SLIGHTLY to avoid being rear ended by the guy behind me. I got into the intersection on the yellow light, so THAT was legal, but I was no more than 5 or 6 mph over the posted limit. Cop nabbed me and said I ran the red light, was doing 15 over and I had no proof of registration (even though I had the new sticker on my license plate) on me in the car. 20 minutes after he took my license he came back to me and said I smelled like alcohol, then I told him if he wanted to give me a breathalyzer I had no problem with it, then he changed his mind. He went back to his cruiser and another 20 minutes went by (2 more cruisers showed up in that time) and then he came back to tell me the computers were down, handed back my license, and then tried to say he smelled marijuana coming from my vehicle. This town is full of pot and smokers, and luckily and surprisingly enough, there was no scent of weed in the air at the time of my stop! I've never smoked and told him if he wanted me to take his sample piss test (I work at the toxicology laboratory that sells his PD the quick drug test devices), I'd also do that. LongER story short, he searched me, my girlfriend at the time, and my vehicle before letting me go, and after one of his buddy cops whom I was talking to about police academy told me how fast he could shoot me in the chest from where I was standing.. then they all followed me for the rest of my 10 minute trip.

Keep in mind also, that I was VERY respectable with all of the officers involved (I had planned on becoming a sheriff at the time), and there was no attitude coming from my side, even after the 2 1/2 hours and persistent accusations of illegal activity AND the unnecessary search of myself, my passenger, and my vehicle. They apologized when they found nothing to arrest me for, and I even thanked them and was understanding because 'they were just doing their job.' BS!

All this took place over 2 1/2 hours, beginning at 11:25pm when I was stopped.

I admitted to speeding, got off on the redlight and supplied proof of registration and ended up paying 128 bucks plus traffic school (online). School took 7 minutes cuz I didn't read the material and just answered the common sense questions.

Just know cops get overtime for appearing in court, trial by declaration is something they have to do in their own time, and they usually don't. If they do write out their report for the judge, they have to prove the validity of the ticket AND even then, it's a 50/50 shot.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay!
is this good news, or bad news?
I paid my ticket to get a Trial by Declaration last 11/28/06.
I sent my Letter(trial by Declaration) last 12/18/06.

Today, I checked the LA Court online and found out that my Case is Dismissed, last 1/18/07.
Does this mean I won? will they reimburse my money?
anyways, "Dismissed" sounds positive!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.