Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so this doesn't completely have to do with XB's, but I want peeps to see this cause it pisses me off when people toss their cigarette butts out their window and it hits my XB. If it pisses you off to then it does have to do with our XB's:cool: . Report these peeps to WWW.LITTERBUTT.COM. This site then forwards the license plate to the state who sends letters, and sometimes tickets to offenders. Best site ever!!!!!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I've seen a cop throw a butt out of the cop car...when I saw that I was like WTF

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Too Bad the State of CA didn't want to participate - I would report everysingle one of those litterbugs.........

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Yeah, that would be awesome if CA participated in that! How many forest fires do you think are caused by one little cig butt, you think? I mean, who in their right mind thinks it's the wise thing to do to toss a LIT item out the window in the middle of the dry-grass hills of Southern California?! Way more than I can count!

·
Registered
827 Posts
I do it all the time.......sorry. :D

·
Registered
827 Posts
What about when the stupid ashes hit your car...:mad:
It has never hurt the paint on a single car I have ever owned. I never smoke in the xB, but in other cars I do.

Hey, sorry guys, but it it wont hurt your car. At any road speed it wont burn your paint or cause any damage. My buddy put his cigarette out on his hood and wiped it right off, and that was on a cavalier.

If anybody has a pic and can prove their paint was damaged by someone flicking a cigarette out of a window, I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has never hurt the paint on a single car I have ever owned. I never smoke in the xB, but in other cars I do.

Hey, sorry guys, but it it wont hurt your car. At any road speed it wont burn your paint or cause any damage. My buddy put his cigarette out on his hood and wiped it right off, and that was on a cavalier.

If anybody has a pic and can prove their paint was damaged by someone flicking a cigarette out of a window, I'd love to see it.
I wouldn't think it would do anything to paint, but it still pisses me off when it hits my car. Just as I (or probably anyone else) would be pissed if it was a fast food bag or anything else thrown out the window. It's just plain disrespectful. Instead of throwing **** out the window use a freakin ash tray. That's what they're made for! Just one of my pet peeves.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i smoke in my xb but i drop it low out the window cuz i've had bad experiences just flicking it out the window.

in other cars i've had more than a few times when it was windy the cigarette flew back in and landed in between my legs and i was wearing shorts, the cigarette flew back in the back window and i didnt notice, luckily it burned out on its own.

·
Wawazat?
189 Posts
For some reason, smokers do not view their cigarette butts as litter. I have friends who smoke, out of respect, they go outside to smoke when we are all hanging out. Yet, every time they seem like all of their cigarette buts look good in my potted herbs because I find them all there. I even have an ashtray on my porch. I want to take my kids over to their houses, let them eat a bag of Hershey kisses and fling the little balls of aluminum foil all over their house.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Cigarette butts degrade quickly. I just do it to piss people off (no offense to the folks on this forum, just telling the truth here)

Here's why: Smokers in this country are treated like second rate citizens. We are shunned, we hear rude comments when we smoke in public, I have had people yell at me for having a smoke all by myself on a sidewalk with nobody else within 10 feet of me. Smokers are THE most discriminated against people in this country. I now go out of my way to piss people off, and thats just the way I am.

Flicking a cigarette is no different than spitting out your gum, but I have seen tons of non-smokers do that. The butt will degrade alot quicker than that gum, but nobody ******* about that.

We're people too.....

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I try to be a considerate smoker and not throw my butts out the window or leave them on the gound at a friends house, work or a car show. At least for those who do we can worry less about fires, as of January 1st, 2007 only "fire safe" cigarettes will be sold in Cali.

Cigarettes: Another new statute will require that California merchants sell only so-called fire-safe cigarettes after they've depleted supplies bought before Jan. 1. Fire-safe cigarettes are designed to prevent fires by going out quickly when they're not being puffed.

Taken from: http://www.modbee.com/local/story/13169474p-13812847c.html

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Japan prolly smokes worse than us and yet ther are no butts on the sidewalk/streets. people smoke in their cars and they don;t get thrown out the window. So what gives? The way America is taken care of by it's citizens, I feel, is crap. we're wastefull, and major litterers. I see teenage punks( guys and girls) just dumping their fast food out of their windows all the time. It pisses me off. Adults do it too!! We are a disgusting society at times. The first things I noticed when traveling abroad in the Navy, was how clean most cities were. I was embarrased when i came home and there's trash everywhere. oh well....

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I try to be a considerate smoker and not throw my butts out the window or leave them on the gound at a friends house, work or a car show. At least for those who do we can worry less about fires, as of January 1st, 2007 only "fire safe" cigarettes will be sold in Cali.

Cigarettes: Another new statute will require that California merchants sell only so-called fire-safe cigarettes after they've depleted supplies bought before Jan. 1. Fire-safe cigarettes are designed to prevent fires by going out quickly when they're not being puffed.

Taken from: http://www.modbee.com/local/story/13169474p-13812847c.html
The only problem is, how many "Mom & Pop" shops go to Mexico to buy cigarettes at better prices and resale them here in the southwest? I understand that California is normally a frontrunner in many laws but merchants will go around the system to get cheaper product to make more $$$$.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
tell me about it. the middle eastern owned smoke shops in Chicago sell to anyone too. they don't care if your 8 or 80

·
Registered
367 Posts
Cigarette butts degrade quickly. I just do it to piss people off (no offense to the folks on this forum, just telling the truth here).....
Actually they dont. Most cigarette filters are made of cellulose acetate, a plastic which degrades quite slowly. Not to mention the poisons left in the filter media after one finishes sucking a smoke through them.

An important study on the toxicity of used (and new) cig buts is entitled "Aquatic invertebrate acute toxicity test for freshwater daphnids". I will spare you the details, but to sum it up, butts are a biohazardous waste product.

Not trying to take one side or the other, just trying to get some facts straight.

·
Registered
367 Posts
How many forest fires do you think are caused by one little cig butt!
Great point. In January 2001, a motorist driving along Interstate 8 in San Diego County (my town) flicked a cigarette butt onto the center median, sparking a fire that eventually burned more than 10,000 acres, destroyed 16 homes and charred 64 vehicles.

September 18, 2002:
CAMP PENDLETON (CA)- A wildfire that scorched 247 acres on the base Monday afternoon was started by a cigarette butt tossed by a passing motorist, fire investigators said.
The fire burned for about four hours along Vandegrift Boulevard, near the airfield, before firefighters got it under control. Scott Simpson, an investigator with the Camp Pendleton Fire Department, said there are thousands of cigarette butts on the ground in that area, but he was able to find the specific one that ignited Monday's fire. "Burn patterns helped indicate the point of origin," Simpson said

Other examples:

"An apartment fire that killed two young boys and critically burned their mother was probably caused by a discarded cigarette, a Fire Department spokesman said Monday."
-- LA Times, March 3, 1998

"A smouldering cigarette end started the fire in the Mont Blanc tunnel which killed 39 people last year, the newspaper Le Parisien reported yesterday...
The cigarette end, thrown from another vehicle, entered the lorry's air intake, setting fire to the air filter and then the entire engine..."
--Electronic Telegraph (UK), May 6, 2000

A listing of fires caused by cigarettes:
http://www.tobacco.org/articles/category/fires/ /

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.