Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
12 volt links

I'm really wanting to learn how to fiberglass anything and everything. My future plans include kickpanels, stealth sub box in the cooler inset, and walling up the rear pillars in the back to house a three way component set.

If ya got em', please post links for how to's on fiberglassing or good books that are out there explaining the process. I've searched the web, and came up very limited sources that are detailed enough to actually learn the process from. Also, has anyone seen the Select Products install training videos? They've got a nice collection on different topics, but for $50 a dvd they better be damn good:cool:

Here's a list of good sites everyone's found so far. Add to it, so we can help everyone out that's wanting to learn more about car audio:

Update: Althought I'm still looking for all the info possible on fiberglass projects please expand on the list for all reliable 12 volt audio info.

www.icixsound.com
www.the12volt.com
www.bcae1.com (not fiberglassing, but amazing basic electronics info)
www.elitecaraudio.com
www.garbled.net/tim/fiberglass.html
http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/index.htm
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24907
http://www.explorerforum.com/fiberglass/fiberglassing.htm
http://www.techguys.ca/projects/fiber_enc_01.html
http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php

·
Registered
32 Posts
fiberglassing is one of those things that you have to "trial and error" with. people can show you how to do things but you will have to find your own way of doing it. I still get my mixture wrong sometimes, to hot or not hot enough, seems like I have a tough time finding the right mixture. with more time comes more experience.

those sites listed are a great starting point.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
^^^True....true....trial and error is going to be the best teacher, but us fiberglass newbs need to know where to start. I think sifting through all the info and knowing how/where to start would help out alot of people.

I've added a few more links to the list thanks to a post on SL.

·
Registered
195 Posts
All my fiberglassing experiencing has been doing autobody repairs and it was all through trail and error.
Keep in mind when mixing your Polyester and catalyst to be mindful of the ambient temp and humidity. Low temps and high humidity will increase cure times. You can add a little more catalyst to make your mix hotter in these situations. If you mixed it cold, a heat gun or a heat lamp will usually do the trick. If you don't have a heat lamp, a set of work lights on a tripod put out a fair amount of heat.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I highly recommend the12volt.com for many things to learn and get info on. Those people over there are incredibly nice, and will help just about anyone who wants to learn anything. I've learend A LOT from them, but have only scratched the surface.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I just signed up, that site is awesome! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I guess this thread should be renamed to reflect links for reliable car audio info. As always if anyone else has any good sources add to the list. Let's get this list deep for all to be enlightened:)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I guess this thread should be renamed to reflect links for reliable car audio info. As always if anyone else has any good sources add to the list. Let's get this list deep for all to be enlightened:)
Sorry about the hijack. I've done a search for fiberglassing instruction and you're right, other than paying for DVD's there's not a lot out there.

If anyone has some more info on fiberglassing please post it up.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
All the old car audio magazines help too, they are good about showing you how to do a whole project.

·
Registered
352 Posts
All the old car audio magazines help too, they are good about showing you how to do a whole project.

very true. I was at Border's the other day, picked up a HotRod Mag and they had a tutorial on how to make fiberglass kickpanels.... def a resource worth looking at.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Goto this site and register. Go to the forums and do a search for fiberglass and start reading. Feel free to ask all the questions you want and you'll have plenty of answers.

autobodystore.com

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone! I've updated the list above with all your suggestions.

Sorry about the hijack. I've done a search for fiberglassing instruction and you're right, other than paying for DVD's there's not a lot out there.

If anyone has some more info on fiberglassing please post it up
Hijack didn't even cross my mind. If ya got any good car audio info post it, or ask about it here. No worries!:D

very true. I was at Border's the other day, picked up a HotRod Mag and they had a tutorial on how to make fiberglass kickpanels.... def a resource worth looking at.
Thanks!! Definately going to have to go take a look at it. The Jan issue (I think Jan it has a purple cover w/ title "friends of distinction") of Lowrider has a kickpanel fiberglass write up also.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
You can read up till your eyes hurt, but that doesnt make you any better at fiberglass. I would go through and find one good basic site, and go out and try 'glassing small things. Its one of those things you HAVE to do to get better at and perfect. Thats just the nature of it. I suggest going out and getting a fiberglass repair kit ($10) and fiberglassing something. Its cheap and you can start to learn how things work without screwing up something too big and wasting a lot of money.

scotty

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^I totally agree with you, but now this has pretty much turned into a car audio info links thread.

Just like anything else experience is the best teacher.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
someone please let us know a place to get the good stuff for cheap in socal(clear resin, catalyst, molding material , gel, rubber, etc) all the works, I'm fed up with the stuff we get from Home Depot and Wally.

anyways, do make sure you have a well ventilated area to work on, this thing is nasty!!! wear gloves too!!!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
anyways, do make sure you have a well ventilated area to work on, this thing is nasty!!! wear gloves too!!!
Amen to that brotha! Stuff smells terrible. I always wear a mask when doing it. Be careful how much fiber you get on yourself too, as it WILL itch. Gloves are important when mixing the resin/toner(hardener) unless you want to grab pop cans the rest of the day without moving your fingers.

scotty

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can read up till your eyes hurt, but that doesnt make you any better at fiberglass. I would go through and find one good basic site, and go out and try 'glassing small things. Its one of those things you HAVE to do to get better at and perfect. Thats just the nature of it. I suggest going out and getting a fiberglass repair kit ($10) and fiberglassing something. Its cheap and you can start to learn how things work without screwing up something too big and wasting a lot of money.

scotty
True enough reading isn't going to do it, and there is no substitute for practical hands on knowledge, however the link I posted is run by an autobody professional with his own shop and several other members who work in the trade that are more than willing to share hints, tips and tricks to new guys who want to learn how to do things and do them right.
I don't know when the last time you priced a fiberglass kit was, but in checking to figure out how much it was going to cost to 'glass a new soundbar for my jeep it was close to $100+. A gallon of some real good resin will run you in the neighborhood of $300. Even the cheapest kit I've seen lately is like $30...the stuff isn't cheap these days, not like it was 25 yrs ago.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Amen to that brotha! Stuff smells terrible. I always wear a mask when doing it. Be careful how much fiber you get on yourself too, as it WILL itch. Gloves are important when mixing the resin/toner(hardener) unless you want to grab pop cans the rest of the day without moving your fingers.

scotty
I love the smell of polyester resin in the morning. Fiberglass smells soooo goood :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.