Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forgets to check this
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On some automatic car's out there They have the so called "manuel"
where there are two buttons on the stearing wheel one to gear up one to gear down. no clutching at all.
has any one heard of,Tried (and hopefully succseeded) to make this system in a box?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Paddle shifting is in the new Fit Sport and most high dollar sports cars, M3 etc. The M3 with paddle shift is wierd to drive, no one has tried to do it in an xB.

·
Forgets to check this
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just thinking to do it would prolly be cheeper then to switch transmissions and actully make it manuel
but whateve.
Thanks man,I'll do a wee digging around see what I can find.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you want another with paddle shifting, look at the Nissan Cube,formula 1,Nissan Skyline.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i've seen reviews saying that the new xb and the xd will have them.

·
Real Friends > Car Clubs
1,932 Posts
^ I have heard the same thing. The ones at the Chicago Auto Show did not have them.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The new fake xb has it

It's not on the wheel but on the shifter, just like the VW's and Audi has.

I would guess (and just a guess) but it is a electric switch you might be able to put paddles on the wheel, but I couldn't say for sure as I have not seen one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Its really a lame feature in most mass production cars because your limited to what an automatic tranny can do anyway. They are designed to be dummy proof. Yes you can downshift into corners which is cool but the shift up out of the whole takes forever, meanwhile your competition already spooled up w/ their manual and shoots out faster. These experiences are on previously owned vehicles like 2001 volvo cross country, 2005 volvo s60R & a previous demo the 300c. The only good ones are in exotics w/ hard hitting shift kits.

·
Registered
673 Posts
had that in my 2002 1.8t jetta... when in the 'auto-stick' mode... if you didnt shift fast enough it would shift for you to protect itself i from redlining to much... kinda sucked 1/2 the time if you started from a red light it would have shift-protected it self from 1st to 2nd or 3rd by the time i or other people were ready to shift from 1st to 2nd...

·
Registered
361 Posts
all I can say is there all autos unless you got the clutch pedal.
the switches do what you would be doing if you were manually shifting an auto from L-2-3-D. but the switch does it electronically that all.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
my mother in law has a solara with that. and that thing rips! it gives you alot of control of the shifting. i could redline it if i wanted to. i also test drove a mazda 3 wago before i got my box and it had that too. i redlined it coming out of second. ok i forgot to shift. but it was pretty liberal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My VW Passat Wagon has it - TipTronic Shifting. its cool - but no big WOW over auto. except that you can drive the RPm up higher or shift a little sportier when on the streets as opposed to the highway.
They have a sensor in the gas pedal too tho - so just tapping the gas quickly will put the engine in sport mode - otherwise it runs in economy mode all day.
all in all I found it just uses more gas and I foget that im in "manual" mode so half the time I end up red lining it at the red lights before I remember to shift up .
Food for feet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.