Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite new feature is the where you can plug your Ipod in under the e-break. Wish they would have had that on the 05 so I wouldnt have to have this big bulky transmitter coming out of my cig. lighter.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have the iPod attachment in my toaster now all i need is an iPod. LOL. I don't think they changed anything else on it except they addded more wheels covers. My look cool i like em.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Speaking about the '06 models... are the '06.5 shipping yet?

I put in an order for one with the options I wanted... told them either red or blue would work for me... got a phone call last Thurs saying that they're doing a dealer swap for a red one for me. Now I'm curious if it'll be black cherry or salsa red (I'm guessing black cherry... but hopeful of the steering wheel radio controls of the 6.5)

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
cyks said:
Speaking about the '06 models... are the '06.5 shipping yet?

I put in an order for one with the options I wanted... told them either red or blue would work for me... got a phone call last Thurs saying that they're doing a dealer swap for a red one for me. Now I'm curious if it'll be black cherry or salsa red (I'm guessing black cherry... but hopeful of the steering wheel radio controls of the 6.5)
hmm..... Are they considering them as half year models because of the color changes? And when you say you told them red, did you specify "Salsa Red", or just "red?" Regardless, they should know the difference between the two!

Do you want BCP or Salsa Red?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nope- I didn't specify... because I didn't realize they were in the middle of changing when I was ordering.

It was simply a matter of me not caring for the colors/options they had on lot and telling them to find me one. They did- and now I'm just waiting for them to receive it (should be sometime this week).

Sure, I could just wait and find out from them- but I was just curious if anyone knew if the Salsa's were shipped.

I told them Salsa- but that was only because that was the one on their list of colors being offered. I could have just as easily taken the Camo Green one off their lot (but it was AT and I prefer MT).

I don't think they even fully knew about the mid-year changes.... and I'd rather be content with BCP now (if the case may be) rather then wait a few more weeks for Salsa.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Okay, none of the BCP or Camo xBs have the steering wheel controls, advanced airbags, or new interior fabric.

On my last allocation (12/14), I got the last BCP and the first 2006.5 Shadow Mica (that will have the controls, etc.). So, yes, they are allocated and it's entirely possible that the dealership traded for a Salsa Red for you. I've never heard a dealership refer to BCP as "red" (usually it's purple for short), so I'll be betting that they're talking Salsa for you.

Also, please remember that the price for the Salsa Red 2006.5 will be $150 more than the early 2006 models to cover the changes (mostly the airbags).

-Alex

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Cyks, I hope you do get the Salsa Red, you'll be the first on this site with one (I think). Post up pics regardless of what color it is.

·
Registered
657 Posts
LuminicsBulbsDotCom said:
My favorite new feature is the where you can plug your Ipod in under the e-break. Wish they would have had that on the 05 so I wouldnt have to have this big bulky transmitter coming out of my cig. lighter.

I completly agree with that right there!! I need to go and buy a new '06 radio because I want my ipod to hook up directly to the stereo!

·
Wawazat?
189 Posts
I went to Radio Shack and bought the cord to plug in my mp3 ($12) and nothing happened! It did not work at all. Has anybody else had this problem too?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
OK, first off is it the right sort of cord - they come in mono and stereo...

Second, the MP3 player usually has to be turned waaaay up - it's a line-level input to the head unit.

Third, have you followed the operating instructions for the head unit?

It really should work. :)

(If you power the MP3 player from the xB instead of its inernal battery and end up with a noisy signal - buzzes, hums, etc. - you may need to put a ground loop isolator between the MP3 player and the head-unit input jack. Many places have 'em, even RadioShack.)

·
Wawazat?
189 Posts
Tomas said:
OK, first off is it the right sort of cord - they come in mono and stereo...

Second, the MP3 player usually has to be turned waaaay up - it's a line-level input to the head unit.

Third, have you followed the operating instructions for the head unit?

It really should work. :)
I'll check to see if it is a stereo cord. I would assume it is, but I know what happens when one assumes!

The instructions were very simple. Basically, plug it in and hit the AUX button on the head unit. When I did that, the FM stereo didnt even turn off. I would have guessed that the sound would have cut off at least.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Tomas, I just wanted to say that your posts are very informative. I like that you show the problem either by pic or graph and write down the step-by-step directions.

This is all good stuff to know.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Tammie, for someone who already knows an answer, the pictures may seem redundant, but I have spent enough years training folks to realize that not everyone is starting with the same background knowledge.

Providing simple images is also something that 'connects' better with some minds (I have a good friend - with a doctorate in psychology - who has great difficulty with written instruction, but has no problem with verbal or pictorial instructions).

Anyway, different people have different ways of understanding things, and if possible I like to give the different types of folks an equal shot at understanding an answer.

Since images work best for some, and words for others, I try to use both. (Besides, even the 'word' people are often attracted to the pictures, and the extra attention helps.)

Back when I used to give seminars for engineers or customers, I used LOTS of graphics. Even the installation and service manuals I've written tended to have a larger than usual number of images. I found it helped.

Thanks for the good words, Tammie! :D

·
Wawazat?
189 Posts
Scion-Doll said:
Tomas, I just wanted to say that your posts are very informative. I like that you show the problem either by pic or graph and write down the step-by-step directions.

This is all good stuff to know.
I agree with Tammie, your help is awesome! I didn't get a chance to troubleshoot my problem (had to go back to work) but I will this weekend. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again Tomas

·
Wawazat?
189 Posts
I have the gold plated stereo plugs from Radio Shack. They are the same size as the one that plugs into the earphone on my mp3 player. Is it not long enough? When I plug it in to the mp3 and turn it on, I hit the AUX button on my radio and it just keeps playing the fm station like nothing ever happened. I stopped by the dealer and ran into the Scion manager. He told me that it plays only the Sony I-Pod. The owners manual doesn't make me think that he is correct. I guess that I will just take it to the service dept and have them fix it or give me a new head unit. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Heheheheheheh... Sony doesn't MAKE an iPod... (That's Apple's unit - same as saying Honda makes a Scion :p )

Anyway, the "AUX input" in the 2006 xB should accept headphone or line outputs from just about ANY portable audio device - it is not particular, it just wants a stereo signal at about the right levels.

If your cables have the correct plugs, and fit all the way into the jacks (some cables have really fat shells that may prevent the plug from going in all the way on some recessed jacks) your head unit should work just fine with most any portable audio device that has a headphone jack if the volume on the portable is turned up to maybe 3/4 volume.

If the dealer has a demo 2006 xB (or xA or tC - same head unit), ask to try your player/cables in there.

Ask your dealer to demonstrate how YOUR AUX input jack works - have him show you it works. If it doesn't, have him fix it.

What you are doing, assuming you are following the manual, should work just fine. If not, the dealer needs to fix it. :) (It may be as simple as the 'installer' at the dealership not connecting the AUX input cable to the connector on the back of the head unit - that's new for 2006, and if he's used to 2004's and 5's he could easily miss it...)

(And don't trust tech advice from the Scion Manager if he doesn't even know that the standard head unit has an AUX audio input and the UPGRADE head unit has the Apple iPod input added...)

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.