Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**RANTING INITIATED**

Something caught my eye as I walked out of my girlfriends apartment Friday. Two GIANT dents!

A closer look reveals *don't laugh* what looks like two hand prints and a face print on my hatch, long deep scratch on the hatch,and both parts of the rear bumper have scratches down to the bare plastic. Instant P*SSED off!

I called my professor to let her know I wouldn't make it to my Lab Practical. Called Union Township Police to have an officer come write a report. After 30 seconds he realizes that a little kids bike hit my car. Then a few minutes later the apartment complex people came out and took the officer aside and told him that they saw some little a--hole kids riding their bikes yesterday. After a little investigating the officer found out exactly who it was that hit my car.

The officer told me a heavy-set 9 year old just got a new pink and rode it into my car. Of course I'm instantly worried about the little girl. Apparently she really tore up her wrist and her face isn't feeling too good either. I'll try to post pics of that later. It looks like she rode it straight into my car like some Jackass stuff. There is a face print and hand prints on each side. Where her palms hit there are deep dents. Scratches from the handle bars, reflector, and the center of the spokes.

I was able get an estimate Friday. Beechmont Scion told me to go to Eastside Body Shop where the quoted me +$1,500 over 5 days. On Saturday I was able to reach the father. His first response, "Do you have collision insurance?" Well of course I do, but I'm sure as hell not going to have MY premium raised because YOUR daughter ran her bike into my car!? He thought he could just put it on my insurance and pay my $250 deductable. No siree, not going to happen. Then he's like "Oh, that's 3x more than I expected to pay. I'm currently unemployed." I told him to contact his renters insurance to see if they will cover it and I'll get another estimate.

I guess tomorrow I'll give him a call back and see what his insurance says. If he tells me his renters insurance won't cover it, I'll call them myself and his car insurance to see what they say. If no one wants to cover it, I'll just give him a week to come up with it. After that, I don't know what to do.

In the mean time, I've got the funniest impression on a car EVER! Even the guy who gave me an estimate said "That looks like something you would see in a cartoon". It really sucks because it's my first year having a modded car. My car has ZERO dents in it, except for some rock chips from the highway, because I park away from everyone. Just got new rims, new tails, interior lighting, cleared side markers, and I just bought seat covers. I was really planning on going to some shows this year.

What would you do in this situation?

**RANTING COMPLETED**

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Now that is a story for the books. Wow hope she and your car turn out ok.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
That sucks, for both you and the little girl.

·
Banned
130 Posts
If all else fails, take him to court. If noone wants to cover it, like you said, it's not YOUR fault. If nothing else, it's not your fault you parked in the way of his little girls face.

A similar incident happened to a friend of mine years ago, the kids parents wanted to say it was an accident that 'kids do' when their son drug his exposed metal handlebars 70% down the side of a truck and crashed into the side mirror, breaking it off and making more damage.

They need to be responsible for their kids actions. It's unfortunate she got hurt, but there's zero reason for you to let them off easy and take it bending over.

Good luck!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to take some pics as soon as it happened but that didn't turn out so well. It's hard enough to take pics of bends on Black Sand Pearl, but trying to take pics when you're pissed off adds a whole new degree of difficulty.

The officer tooks some good pics but I don't think I'll be able to get a copy of those. I'll try to take some tomorrow after I talk to this guy again.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Dude, that reams. Keep on em until they pay. If you have to, even get it done yourself and foot them the bill. Keep in contact with the authorities about this every few weeks, and if you have to, contact a lawyer buddy and have him send them a letter or two - that usually gets things straight.

In the end, I'm sorry the little kid got hurt, but it's her own damn fault for not being able to ride a bike correctly.

I too, would love to see pics of this. I understand how mad you are, but at the same time while reading this, I laughed. I laughed when you said there was a face imprint on your car...

If you never found out who did it, and if it looked like Jesus or the virgin Mary....You coulda always made a huge buck off it saying that one of those faces appeared on the side of your car.

TReally though, that sucks, and I feel for ya man.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Something to try for pics: Park so that sunlight is almost parallel with the rear hatch, coming from the side. Sometimes that helps to emphasize irregularities...

Hope both box and girl get better soon, and that you don't get stuck for the expense. *cough*smallclaimscourt*cough*

·
Registered
672 Posts
Stupid kid should have known better, if you hit somebody elses stuff you dont run away, also her stupid DAD should have known better when he saw her all scratched up...he should have found the car owner to talk about it, after verifying her daughter was ok first, of course

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Tell Mister Currently unemployed Dad that Mcdonalds is always hiring..... That sucks but maybe you can get the hatch smoothed out in the process...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Hope the little girl is going to be OK. Your Box can be fixed. I would just use my uninsured motorist coverage. Then you can take him to small claims court for the deductible if he isn't willing to pay for it.

This is assuming he doesn't have auto or renters insurance.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yeah, but as soon as that word CLAIM comes across it equals instant rate increases and more difficulty if you ever wanted to change. I hate insurance companies.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
(Actually that would come under comprehensive coverage since your vehicle was not being driven. Some states have laws that prevent rate increases because of comprehensive payouts.)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was able to contact his insurance company today. They actually seemed overly happy to help me out. Jim Snyder, the agent, told me to pick the bodyshop I want to work with and fax him the estimate. Then we're going to meet up Wednesday or Thursday to drop my car off and set up a rental car. I am at school now and I can't post pics yet, but I will tonight when I can.

I'm so happy that this guys insurance is going to cover it. It's not even his renters insurance, but his car insurance. According to the police officer, technically my car and the bike are motor vehicles.

My first concern was the little girl. Everyone was upset that the father didn't try to contact me when it happened and I had to explain to them 'hey guys, this guy is probably a little more worried about getting his daughter to the hospital than leaving a note with his name and address on my car.' The first thing I asked the father was the health of the daughter. I know she badly hurt her wrist and her face is bruised. I imagine that her butt is probably bruised after her dad spanks her. I sure would spank my child and ground her for a month.

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
It's cool that the little girl is okay and really cool that you are getting the damaged repaired.....but it's WAY cool that you were thinking about her health before your ride. Man, I know if my little girl did something like that I be on the way to the doc or the er STAT! Leave my name and number on your car? Hell, I'd be lucky to remember my name if my little girl got hurt...LOL!!

·
Banned
130 Posts
Glad to see it come to a resolve so quickly.

Hopefully she didn't get any permanent damage, either! Wrists are sensitive areas to injure.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know. I broke both bones of my right wrist back in 7th grade and it's still not the same.

I took pictures of my car... as best as I could, and I'll post them up when I'm able to. Hopefully tonight.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Glad everything is working out with your "dent".

All in all, aside from the little girl getting hurt, it must have looked friggin' funny when her face hit the car. I know, I'm going to Hell. The only thing I don't know is which floor I'll be on. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.